Darnell Dockett

ringless

Reaction score
Tried to watch him and focus on his plays since he is with a new team. I know its only preseason but geeze a poor showing. It looked like the players he was going against was able to go lower than him and get under his pads almost standing him up on a few plays. He had no push what so ever and I do believe it was because he wasn't able to get leverage. But if he plays all season like that coming in on 3rd downs and some 2nd he is going to be a liability.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":h5dfvqui said:
Tried to watch him and focus on his plays since he is with a new team. I know its only preseason but geeze a poor showing. It looked like the players he was going against was able to go lower than him and get under his pads almost standing him up on a few plays. He had no push what so ever and I do believe it was because he wasn't able to get leverage. But if he plays all season like that coming in on 3rd downs and some 2nd he is going to be a liability.

So....you are suggesting the way a 10+ year get played on about 5 plays in a person game is indicative of how he'll play this season?

Navorro Bowman played in three plays and had 3 tackles at or behind the LOS. I'm not suggesting he'll have 600 tackles this season.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Marvin49":1o8sauug said:
ringless":1o8sauug said:

So....you are suggesting the way a 10+ year get played on about 5 plays in a person game is indicative of how he'll play this season?

Navorro Bowman played in three plays and had 3 tackles at or behind the LOS. I'm not suggesting he'll have 600 tackles this season.

I am sure Navorro will have a great season on the other hand. But yes I think Darnell will not be the player of years past, and that he was overpaid. I think he will be a disappointment.

NINEster

Reaction score
ringless":pp4q3l84 said:
Marvin49":pp4q3l84 said:
ringless":pp4q3l84 said:

I am sure Navorro will have a great season on the other hand. But yes I think Darnell will not be the player of years past, and that he was overpaid. I think he will be a disappointment.

Man, people read too much into preseason.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":zytr7q22 said:
Marvin49":zytr7q22 said:
ringless":zytr7q22 said:

Well, my expectations are pretty low, so I doubt he'll disappoint me.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":lekxwtce said:
Well, my expectations are pretty low, so I doubt they'll disappoint me. - Every 49er fan in 2015

FIFY Marv :3-1:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NINEster":3o3l100w said:
ringless":3o3l100w said:
Marvin49":3o3l100w said:
ringless":3o3l100w said:

Been trying to say this to my Chief brethren here but it just seems to get them angry or fall on deaf ears.

mikeak

Reaction score
KC fans did get to see a TD pass to a WR so I would give them a pass on reading to much into this preseason.....

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mikeak":r7cd1mu3 said:
KC fans did get to see a TD pass to a WR so I would give them a pass on reading to much into this preseason.....
I do like a cat on her perch. Much like the Seahawks this year. I'm sensing a back half run for the ages. But the original point is valid.

Yes, my season prediction is way off. I'm seeing 11-5 or 10-6 with us being the team nobody wants to play ala 2012 but playoff hardened like the NYG v NE in their 16-0 year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":17z4zmxv said:
NINEster":17z4zmxv said:
ringless":17z4zmxv said:
Marvin49":17z4zmxv said:

Been trying to say this to my Chief brethren here but it just seems to get them angry or fall on deaf ears.

The trick to the preseason is simply to realize that it means nothing. Win or lose by 30...doesn't matter. Too many things in play to screw with it's validity. No scheming on either side. Marquee or lightly injured players not playing. Vets with nothing to play for not going all out. People often site all those things when their team plays poorly, but it is equally true when their team plays well.

To me, the preseason is fun to watch just because its the first time we get to see these guys in some time, get back into the fun of football season, and to watch individual players with something to prove...IE, rookies, FAs, etc.

I never really draw too many conclusions, but it is nice to see when guys play well. I just don't always count on that carrying over into the regular season.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I don't agree that it means nothing

Lockett playing as WR and having nice catches tells me he may get quite a few snaps in that position. I don't think that was a given when he was drafted.

Sure if he doesn't do anything with it then he will not play but I think he will get more time on the field as a rookie than Norwood did as a rookie.

Clark looking good -- I think that is a positive sign and I think he will be a contributing player and not a bust

Those things I think you can look for. If the score is 30-20 or 7-30 that I don't draw anyting from. If a WR goes on a tear against a prevent style simple defense - nope don't read to much into that

If Jordy Nelson is on my team and tears an ACL - yep I read some into that as well......

Marvin49

Reaction score
mikeak":3foxpu1r said:

Lockett playing as WR and having nice catches tells me he may get quite a few snaps in that position. I don't think that was a given when he was drafted.

Sure if he doesn't do anything with it then he will not play but I think he will get more time on the field as a rookie than Norwood did as a rookie.

Clark looking good -- I think that is a positive sign and I think he will be a contributing player and not a bust

Those things I think you can look for. If the score is 30-20 or 7-30 that I don't draw anyting from. If a WR goes on a tear against a prevent style simple defense - nope don't read to much into that

If Jordy Nelson is on my team and tears an ACL - yep I read some into that as well......

That plays into what I meant about individual players with something to prove. I'm saying overall.

As for Nelson...man...that sucks.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Marvin49":1os1stdf said:
mikeak":1os1stdf said:

That plays into what I meant about individual players with something to prove. I'm saying overall.

As for Nelson...man...that sucks.
I think a better way to look at it is that results mean nothing. It is very common to confuse performance and results with each other. And in the preseason, even performance should be viewed with strong consideration to context (for all the reasons listed above).

rideaducati

Reaction score
mikeak":2reoo072 said:

Does that "touchdown to a wide receiver" really count as a touchdown to a wide receiver? The "receiver" was lined up as a running back when the ball was snapped.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Uhm......... Note to Niner fans... There is kind of a big difference between...

A 6'0, 240 pound LBer two years removed from an age 25 injury (ACL).

AND

A 6'4, 300 pound DT one year removed from an age 33 injury (ACL).

Not that I care either way but the OP does have a point about Dockett: He's big, tall, and old coming back from a serious injury.

And I say for any DT, legs are the most important part of thier body because thats where most of thier power and leverage comes from.

Knees are vital for any football player's legs as flexibility is a key element in binding that power and leverage.

So its not surprising that a 34 year old DT who stands 6'4 and carries a lot of weight with a bum knee would struggle in maintaining leverage and sustaining power.

Those are just facts. Dockett might be servicable in a limited role and his expertise certainly will help develop the youth within 49ers D-Line but...

Its not far fetched at all that Dockett will be a shell of his former dominant self.

Using Bowman as an example is really a poor, counter argument. The dude was the best downhill LBer in the game before his injury, even if he came back 20% off his former game, he's still a top 10 ILB.

Dockett was a quality player in his last two seasons in '12 and '13 but he was already trending downwards. DD hasnt been a consistently dominant DT since his '10, '11 seasons but more so in 2009 which was when he was one of the elite DTs in the game.

2009 was 6 years ago but carry on 49ers fans. Oh, and im sure Ringless, the resident Cards fan, would have the best understanding of Dockett former and present. And I doubt despite his history he is negatively judging a player because of his detest of all 49ers.

So honestly I would respect R-Less's insight on a former Cards great that he has probably seen play over a 100 of times.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Marvin49":1lasnejp said:
ringless":1lasnejp said:

Nobody is saying Bowman will get 600 tackles this season. He will get 400. ;-)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ringless --

As I recall when you thought the Cards were going to be able to retain Dockett you were excited about how much he would bring back to the Cardinals defense (and thought it was a done deal because he bleeds Cardinal-red or something (I don't remember you're exact phrasing)), but as soon as he signed with the 9ers you decided he was old, over the hill, and wouldn't be able to come back to his previous form.

I only say this because I think there might be more context than you let on to your doomsday scenario which is based on a handful of pre-season snaps in his first game back. Basically, if he had had the exact same handful of snaps in a pre-season game while still bleeding Cardinals-red, I seriously have my doubts that this thread would exist.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1pzqjdfr said:
Ringless --

As I recall when you thought the Cards were going to be able to retain Dockett you were excited about how much he would bring back to the Cardinals defense (and thought it was a done deal because he bleeds Cardinal-red or something (I don't remember you're exact phrasing)), but as soon as he signed with the 9ers you decided he was old, over the hill, and wouldn't be able to come back to his previous form.

Got em!!!!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Here we go. From Feb 27:

Ringless":2gvfweo8 said:
I understand why he was released. But this is a guy that bleeds red... Just like everyone else but more of a Cardinal red. Even when recovering he didn't miss a game, attended all the practices, and went to team meetings. HE has always come across as extremely loyal to the Cardinals. I'm not trying to be a homer, but I do think he ends up signing with the Cardinals again. I think that is where is heart truly is unless there is a team willing to offer a lot more. then 4-5 million which I am assuming was the range as opposed to 6.8..... I guess time will tell, hate to lose him, even at his age.

And since the day he signed with the 9ers that has become:

Dockett was overpaid and injured on a downward slide in performance.

What's funny here is that originally Ringless valued Dockett to the Cards at 4-5 million, and now that the 9ers are paying him 3.75 million he is now "overpaid" :lol:

[Iupati] has always had his way with Dockett and now he gets to do it again 2 times a year

Dockett was one of the upgrades this offseason on their Defensive line ( A player who hasn't taken a snap in almost 2 years and is now 34 coming off a major ACL injury that they most likely overpaid for.

To answer your question according to Matt Barrows no he has not been cleared for practice yet although that could change come minicamp. But I doubt Dockett would even be ready for the season opener at that point.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32do7cwo said:
Here we go. From Feb 27:

Ringless":32do7cwo said:
I understand why he was released. But this is a guy that bleeds red... Just like everyone else but more of a Cardinal red. Even when recovering he didn't miss a game, attended all the practices, and went to team meetings. HE has always come across as extremely loyal to the Cardinals. I'm not trying to be a homer, but I do think he ends up signing with the Cardinals again. I think that is where is heart truly is unless there is a team willing to offer a lot more. then 4-5 million which I am assuming was the range as opposed to 6.8..... I guess time will tell, hate to lose him, even at his age.

And since the day he signed with the 9ers that has become:

Dockett was overpaid and injured on a downward slide in performance.

What's funny here is that originally Ringless valued Dockett to the Cards at 4-5 million, and now that the 9ers are paying him 3.75 million he is now "overpaid" :lol:

[Iupati] has always had his way with Dockett and now he gets to do it again 2 times a year

Dockett was one of the upgrades this offseason on their Defensive line ( A player who hasn't taken a snap in almost 2 years and is now 34 coming off a major ACL injury that they most likely overpaid for.

To answer your question according to Matt Barrows no he has not been cleared for practice yet although that could change come minicamp. But I doubt Dockett would even be ready for the season opener at that point.

Yes I truly believed he bled Cardinal red. I am sure a lot of you felt the same way about Gore. So I said he remained part of the team when injured. I still think thats a great quality to have. Obviously there is a reason no one on this board is a GM. Our FO was privy to a lot more information regarding his health, and performance than I was. Here is a perfect example. Dockett had his injury in August, Palmer in November. Palmer was 100% cleared before training camp this year. Dockett, with 3-4 more months of recovery was not.

At the time I did believe he was an upgrade. What can I say I've always enjoyed watching him play. I remember how upset I was when Adrian Wilson was released. I didn't want to believe that he was not the same player I grew up watching. There is a reason why the FO makes the decisions fans can't. Both are perfect examples. When I watched the game I was watching him specifically and was excited to see what he could do. A lot more information is available to me now then there was in April. In April I assumed he wouldn't be missing OTA's and part of training camp but he did.

I assumed he would be the player that I loved. But he wasn't. He was a guy who got zero push. Got stood up. And appeared to lack the power he use to have. I understand its preseason but the signs are trending downward. Im a fan, I will admit my bitterness in the fact that he is with SF. But I will applaud my FO on not being blind like myself