Kuechly, Panthers agree to 5-year, $62M extension

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -extension

The Panthers and linebacker Luke Kuechly agreed to a five-year, $62 million contract extension, NFL Media's Rand Getlin reports, per a source informed of the contract.

Getlin reports Kuechly's extension averages $12.4 million per year, making him the highest-paid linebacker in the history of the NFL.

Around The NFL will have more on this shortly.

OP
OP
WilsonMVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Fade":283m1p4f said:
Wagner will hold out next offseason.

So hes going to be making almost 2 million more per year than Wagner O_O

OP
OP
WilsonMVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2kds7yrn said:
Wow, glad we signed Wagner when we did.

Cant wait to see how much more Luck will be weighing the colts down by compared to Wilson either

OP
OP
WilsonMVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":4an5h5nn said:
HawkFan72":4an5h5nn said:
Wow, glad we signed Wagner when we did.

Yep. ANd when Luck signs his new deal, we're going to think Wilson's deal was a bargain. The NFL is just silly sometimes. I don't see how this kind of one-upping with contracts is sustainable.

Because the Salary Cap keeps going up. I would assume if it was stagnant contracts wouldnt get inflated

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hype or not, Kuechly is sort of considered the "Aaron Rodgers" of ILBs at the moment. I don't think Wagner would've been paid more whether he signed before or after him, just like no team has been able to justify paying any QB more than Rodgers thus far.

OP
OP
WilsonMVP

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1y2q9ee4 said:
Hype or not, Kuechly is sort of considered the "Aaron Rodgers" of ILBs at the moment. I don't think Wagner would've been paid more whether he signed before or after him, just like no team has been able to justify paying any QB more than Rodgers thus far.

or is he the Andrew Luck of ILBS? :?:

ctrcat

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1zqzdx4j said:
Fade":1zqzdx4j said:

Let's wait on the breakdown, but Wagner has a 13/14 million hit the last two of his 4 year extension. Since Kuechly was a first round pick and had the 5th year extension, it appears to be a 7 year $75 million deal.

I understand the Kuechly/Luck comparisons being nauseating since Panther fans see the Cam/Luck double standard too, but Kuechly is only 24 and PFF is gaga over him much more than Luck, fwiw.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":d9rqi2qx said:
DavidSeven":d9rqi2qx said:

or is he the Andrew Luck of ILBS? :?:

Luck will probably surpass Rodgers next year, but that's because people still think (again, hype or not) that he's the greatest QB prospect of his generation. One could argue that even if Luck and Rodgers signed new deals on the same day, Luck might still be paid more. So, it's not just a matter of being "next in line" in that situation.

Considering the hype factor, Kuechly and Luck are probably more analogous.

kearly

Reaction score
I personally have no problem with Kuechly being paid a full notch above what Wagner got. He's every bit as fast as Wagner, more consistent as a tackler / fighting off blocks, and when he makes a big play, it feels like he created it on his own as opposed to Wagner who's big plays usually feel manufactured by the scheme, IMO. He also has significantly more tackles per game. Something about the eyeball test, Wagner seems smooth, well coached and very very good, but not dominant like Kuechly, IMO.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Kuechly deserves every penny. Phenomenal player with HOF level talent if he stays healthy.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Definitely one of my favourite non-Hawk players. He is awesome to watch.

ctrcat

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":346mdrjn said:
Fade":346mdrjn said:

At long last, here's the breakdown of both players on spotrac. Wagner will actually have a slightly higher cap hit in 2016 and 2018 while Kuechly has a higher hit in 2017. Kuechly being one year younger is inked through 2021.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-pan ... e-kuechly/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... by-wagner/

nanomoz

Reaction score
kearly":19h4gyfg said:
I personally have no problem with Kuechly being paid a full notch above what Wagner got. He's every bit as fast as Wagner, more consistent as a tackler / fighting off blocks, and when he makes a big play, it feels like he created it on his own as opposed to Wagner who's big plays usually feel manufactured by the scheme, IMO. He also has significantly more tackles per game. Something about the eyeball test, Wagner seems smooth, well coached and very very good, but not dominant like Kuechly, IMO.

Our fave, Pepe Prisco, disagrees with your assessment :p
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ng-nfls-top-lbs-luke-kuechly-and-bobby-wagner

MB12

Reaction score
Is he allowed to sign a deal when maybe still suffering from concussion? Would be curious if there are any rules on that. I guess the agent helps but yeh...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":37bd8kgi said:

I'd probably come under the gun if I were the first person in the thread to say this (being an interloper and all), but really good post.

Kuechly and pre-injury Bowman were really in a class of their own IMO, with Wagner just a step behind. (and that's not even remotely a knock on Wagner; it's like saying Michael Bennett is no JJ Watt, or Wilson isn't Aaron Rodgers).

I personally don't agree with the following, but I think the only way someone could criticize the signing would be to say that a MLB simply isn't worth 12.5 APY, regardless of how good he is.