Week 2 NFC West Predictions

ringless

Reaction score
Fun fact. The St Louis Rams blitzed more than any team including the Cardinals in 2014. Bet you guys didn't know that!

Week 1 certainly had some surprises, and in fact none of us got our predictions right last week which I found pretty surprising. However, I believe this week should be a little easier to judge.

As things stand right now:

Rams 1-0 1-0 DIV
Cards 1-0
49ers 1-0
Hawks 0-1 0-1 DIV

The Rams currently sit atop of the Division because of their divisional win over the Seahawks, and will be traveling to face the dysfunctional Washington Redskins. In saying that, the Rams should still be at the top of the Division after two weeks, with Rex continuing to enjoy looking down upon us from the Heavens as he foretold. Part of me also wants to believe that Jeff Fisher will be Jeff Fisher and be blown out 31-6 however I just think the Redskins are in a very very bad position roster wise, and lack a coach that is a true leader. Just watch the videos of him flip flopping on Griffin so much it'd make a politician bluff. Rams should take this one soundly and as a result.... 2-0

The Cardinals will travel to Chicago to take on the Bears who are now being coached by John Fox. While the expectations aren't extremely high in Chicago this year, it would seem between Fox and Fangio they should have a better coached team. It appears as if they will be asking Matt Forte to carry the load so Cutler can't Cutler. Matt Forte I think is going to give us some problems this week as well as Bennett. As I said last week, we have some big concerns at ILB and NT at the moment. However on Offense this should be a good matchup for us. The Bears appear as if they are going to have a hard time generating much pressure this year, and our offense is built around more complex and slow developing route trees. We should have some good matchups against their corners. I think Arizona should be favored this week as they are the better team. 2-0

The 49ers will travel to Pittsburgh for yet another 10 AM start like the three teams above. It is still really hard to get a feel for this team with all of the roster and coaching turnover. I think this will be a great test to see where the team really stands. The offense will be going up against one of the weaker Defenses this year as the Steelers are expected to have a significant decline. However, I do think the Steelers offense with Big Ben should be able to exploit the 49ers Defense. I think in the end this game will kind of temper some expectations in regards to SF. While I think SF will play a decent game, I still think they finish this week with a loss. More so because the Steelers offense will be too much for the 49ers Defense 1-1

Seattle will travel to Green Bay who just lost another player for the year, and I believe have a few players suspended which I don't think will matter this week. The Hawks lost 4 of their 5 games on the road last year and I think they lose this one too. I've never made a prediction like this before but it may be the first two possession loss for Seattle in a very long time. Im guessing a 9-10 point loss on this one and here is why. I believe Aaron Rodgers will be able to get his team out to an early lead this week against a secondary that is still trying to find it's way without Kam Chancellor. Seattle plays more of a ball control style offense and the running game could very well be taken away from them if they fall behind early. When Lynch doesnt get the ball, they lose. I believe they will try to run early and often, but Rodgers will be too much for them at home. They lose this game, and start off 0-2. (Still win the division this year)

I think after week 2 the standings will look like this

Stl 2-0
AZ 2-0
SF 1-1
SEA 0-2

HAWKSFANSINCEDAY1: 3-1
FADE: 2-2
SF49ER: 2-2
LALOOSH: 1-3
SHADOWHAWK: 1-3
CLUTCHDJ: 1-3
MIZZOU: 1-3
LONDON12: 1-3
HASSELBECK: 1-3
SeahawksTopGear: 1-3
RINGLESS: 1-3
MARVIN49: 1-3
KEARLY: 0-2 (didn't make clear predictions for NO-AZ or Min-SF)
SPORTS HERNIA: 0-4
SALISHHAWKFAN: 0-4
POPEYEJONES: 0-4
ELCALIENTE: 0-4

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
On one hand, I think Rodgers will go right at Kam'a backup, Dion. I could also see him exploiting Cary Williams a lot, too. Rodgers is just a bad, bad motha-effa at home too.

On the other hand, that Packers' run D is just horrific, & I can see Marshawn & Russ run for a total of 300 yards combined. The Packers DL isn't in the same stratosphere as the Rams' DL either.

I actually think that game will be a shoot-out. Like a 41-38 type game.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Rams will stomp Redskins, but then again who wouldn't at this point?
Cardinals will give up a few bad plays but pick up a solid win against the Bears.
49ers will lose to a Steelers team still smarting from their opening night debacle.
Seahawks will drop a close one to the Packers.

Rams: 2-0
Cardinals: 2-0
49ers 1-1
Seahawks 0-2

Marvin49

Reaction score
Rams 2-0 1-0 DIV (Skins suck)
49ers 1-1 (tall order to go cross country on a short week against a team on 10 days rest playing at home)
Cards 1-1 (Dunno why...just a hunch)
Hawks 0-2 0-1 DIV (GB is tired of losing to the NFC West. They get Seattle at home this time with no Chancellor)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Rams over Washington: Washington is a total mess, and they don't have the defense to take advantage of Foles' limitations. That said I think it's oh-so-Rams to overperform against the Seahawks and then underperform against a team like Washington. This game is going to be much closer than it should be, and I think it will end up coming down to a field goal (basically a coin flip). I think the Rams win that coin flip simply because they're the more talented team.

Cardinals over Bears: Forte had a big week, but is still Forte; the king of junk yardage. I don't think Zona's lack of a running game will matter in this one. The Bears' defense is too weak and the Cards are too good at disguising coverages and flipping personnel for Cutler to not Cutler. This game shouldn't be close, IMO.

Steelers over 9ers: 9ers on five days rest going on on the road to the east coast for a 10am game against a superior team on ten days rest. Chryst will overreact and try to beat the Steelers' weak secondary through the air, rather than sticking with what works. Meanwhile despite being an idiot and horrible human Ben Rapes is a very smart football player who will make Mangini's defense pay for all their blitzing (something Bridgewater couldn't do). Just like last week the 9ers are still a very young team and still learning all new systems, but this time they'll actually have to pay for the penalties and blown assignments that get them off schedule. I think this game is going to get out of hand pretty early and be a blowout.

Seahawks over Packers: Because I don't think PC is an idiot, I think the Seahawks will get back to what works (read: Wilson won't be throwing 40 times in a game again). The Seahawks will slow things down and keep Rodgers out of rhythm, as they were able to do two games ago against the Packers. Despite all the attention on both of these teams (on offense) being directed at the QBs, I think this game will surprise people and be a battle of the RBs. I think the Hawks will win that battle.

Rams 2-0
Cardinals 2-0
Seahawks 1-1
9ers 1-1

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Popeyejones":rk7uvepk said:
Rams over Washington: Washington is a total mess, and they don't have the defense to take advantage of Foles' limitations. That said I think it's oh-so-Rams to overperform against the Seahawks and then underperform against a team like Washington. This game is going to be much closer than it should be, and I think it will end up coming down to a field goal (basically a coin flip). I think the Rams win that coin flip simply because they're the more talented team.

Cardinals over Bears: Forte had a big week, but is still Forte; the king of junk yardage. I don't think Zona's lack of a running game will matter in this one. The Bears' defense is too weak and the Cards are too good at disguising coverages and flipping personnel for Cutler to not Cutler. This game shouldn't be close, IMO.

Steelers over 9ers: 9ers on five days rest going on on the road to the east coast for a 10am game against a superior team on ten days rest. Chryst will overreact and try to beat the Steelers' weak secondary through the air, rather than sticking with what works. Meanwhile despite being an idiot and horrible human Ben Rapes is a very smart football player who will make Mangini's defense pay for all their blitzing (something Bridgewater couldn't do). Just like last week the 9ers are still a very young team and still learning all new systems, but this time they'll actually have to pay for the penalties and blown assignments that get them off schedule. I think this game is going to get out of hand pretty early and be a blowout.

Seahawks over Packers: Because I don't think PC is an idiot, I think the Seahawks will get back to what works (read: Wilson won't be throwing 40 times in a game again). The Seahawks will slow things down and keep Rodgers out of rhythm, as they were able to do two games ago against the Packers. Despite all the attention on both of these teams (on offense) being directed at the QBs, I think this game will surprise people and be a battle of the RBs. I think the Hawks will win that battle.

Rams 2-0
Cardinals 2-0
Seahawks 1-1
9ers 1-1

Good post.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Thanks. :th2thumbs:

An idea:

Do people want to put their predication records at the top of their posts (accumulated over each week).

Seems like it could add another fun element to Ringless' thread each week.

Or Ringless could put records for everyone at the bottom of his leading post each week if he wanted to.

If you want to edit in to your top post Ringless, I just did it for last week:

HAWKSFANSINCEDAY1: 3-1
FADE: 2-2
SF49ER: 2-2
LALOOSH: 1-3
SHADOWHAWK: 1-3
CLUTCHDJ: 1-3
MIZZOU: 1-3
LONDON12: 1-3
HASSELBECK: 1-3
SeahawksTopGear: 1-3
RINGLESS: 1-3
MARVIN49: 1-3
KEARLY: 0-2 (didn't make clear predictions for NO-AZ or Min-SF)
SPORTS HERNIA: 0-4
SALISHHAWKFAN: 0-4
POPEYEJONES: 0-4
ELCALIENTE: 0-4

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Popeye I think that is a great idea and will add a little more to the thread

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Skins over Rams (feels like the classic Fisher letdown game)
Steelers over Niners
Bears over Cardinals (10AM special)
Seahawks over Packers

drdiags

Reaction score
Record to date: 0-0

Rams over Skins - Skins need to overcome the loss of Jackson and I don't think they can hold up against Rams D

Cardinals over Bears - Bears played Packers better than I expected at home but I think they struggle early in the season.

Steelers over 9ers - The 9ers showed they can run the ball and the Steelers D isn't the old Steel Curtain. This should be a tight one unless Big Ben goes nuts but I don't see that happening.

Packers over Seahawks - I think Mr Bailey is going to continue to get his baptism by fire. The Rams ability to hit big plays over the LBs head and on the sidelines has to have Rodgers smiling. Coach Richard had some good calls against the Rams but some head-scratchers as well. The growth of the OL continues. Hope it comes down to a nail-biter but the state of the secondary gives me a 2012 vibe when no lead was safe because of their inability to get off the field on 3rd downs.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Well now, we're are going to make it a season long contest? Sweet. I'm in (and leading after week 1 but it's a looooong season so no trash talking).

Lambs over the Racist Nicknames 24-20.....closer than it should be cuz it's a road game but St. L pulls it out cuz D.C. really are that bad a team.

Stealers over Whiners 27-16.......Whiners got screwed by the schedule maker on this one....travel clear across the country for a 10 AM Pacific time start after playing on Monday night while Pissburgh had a 10 day break. Wow, the Stealers got a gift from the NFL. Color me shocked........not. Too much for Frisco to overcome.

Bears over Cards 27-24.....Again, 10 AM Pacific start time a little too much to overcome for a west coast team. Plus, putting the O on Forte and taking a lot of it away from Cutler clearly is a smart move and makes Shitcago a better team.

Hawks over Packers 30-27......Bevell actually isn't an idiot and runs 'Shawn a lot with excellent results. Hawks D looks like crap again but a late FG drive wins it for the good guys.

Rex

Reaction score
It is all so clear in this rarefied air.

Rams 2-0
AZ 1-1
SF 1-1
SH 0-2

Fade

Reaction score
I was 2-1 picking games last week. Or does the Hawks Losing while the Rams winning count for double?

Hawks over Rams - Wrong
AZ over NO - Right
SC over MIN - Right

2-1

WEEK 2

STL 30 @ WAS 17

I would normally predict a STL let down coming off their "Superbowl", but the Skins are the most dysfunctional franchise in sports. I think Nick Foles will have a good day against Washington's abysmal secondary, and the D-Line will reek havoc on a still terrible O-Line despite using a high pick on Brandon Scherff.

SC 27 @ PIT 24

PIT has one of the worst defenses in the NFL. I think SC is the superior team, but they are going to be coming off short rest, flying across the country, and playing at 10 AM. Meanwhile PIT will be desperate to avoid 0-2, and playing at home on 12 days rest. All that being said I'm still picking Santa Clara, because I don't think PIT can stop anybody.

AZ 26 @ CHI 20

Chicago ran the ball really well last week. (Shocking! /s). Yeah that was because they were playing the Pack. AZ is much more physical up front, and the way to beat AZ is to handle the blitz and get chunk plays in the passing game. Is Jay Cutler up to the task??? No.

SEA 34 @ GB 24

The Packers can' stop the run, and it just got worse for them with Sam Barrington going on IR. The other thing working against the Pack this game is they won't get 5 takeaways in this game either. Finally Seattle has a circadian rhythms advantage playing at night, and a ridiculous record under PC playing at night.

NFC WEST after week 2

STL 2-0
AZ 2-0
SC 2-0
SEA 1-1

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Rams
Hawks
Cards
Niners

That's right, I have our whole division winning this week. Best division in football!!

SF49r

Reaction score
Rams over Redskins because redskins.
Bears over Cardinals because any given Sunday.
Seahawks over Packers because I can see Lynch running all over them if he can get his carries.
Niners over Steelers because I am a homer.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
After thinking about it:

STL @ WSH / 20 - 10
ARI @ CHI / 31 - 23
SF @ PIT / 31 - 34
SEA @ GB / 41 - 44

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ajjilq8o said:
1. St. Louis 1-1
2. Arizona 1-1
3. San Francisco 1-1
4. Seattle 1-1

Interesting. A lot of upsets

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ringless":xrtchhh1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":xrtchhh1 said:
1. St. Louis 1-1
2. Arizona 1-1
3. San Francisco 1-1
4. Seattle 1-1

Interesting. A lot of upsets
Just one but the team involved is facing the Seahawks in prime time. Chicago isn't bad and Arizona isn't Green Bay and is on the road. San Francisco isn't winning at Hines Field. My reach is counting on the Rams to do what the Rams under Fisher always do.