Do you think Brees will be cut after this season

ringless

Reaction score
@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
#Saints filed a redone contract for Drew Brees, as @FieldYates said. Converted some of ’15 base to a bonus. His cap number for 2016 is $30M

The Saints are still in cap hell next year. They have 41 players signed to next years squad and are already 4,132,000 over next years cap number.

Which again means they aren't going to have much room to do anything in the off-season and there will again be hard decisions to make.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I suspect they will. His arm strength is diminishing and McCown may well be good enough to take over at a far lower cost while they try develop Garrett Grayson (from Vancouver, WA!).

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
They are not going to win a lot of games this year so they should be picking high enough to land a decent prospect. It will be good for both sides. A lot of teams in the league can still use Brees and NO is better off moving on because of their cap issues & more.

Jville

Reaction score
Brees’ 2016 salary will become fully guaranteed in February so the team will need to make a quick decision after the season as to whether or not that can trade him in the offseason or can work out a reasonable contract extension despite the massive cap charge looming next year.

There is more here >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/saints-restructure-drew-brees-contract/#more-10677[/urltargetblank]

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Moving on makes sense financially, though he should be retained to help tutor Grayson. We do suck, so nothing would surprise me at this point.

I don't really understand why people are wishing to speed up the process of cutting/trading him. For all we know, it could mean the next 5 or 10 years of sucking before finding another QB that's even half as good.

kearly

Reaction score
Trading Brees will be nearly impossible with that kind of cap number. As a free agent he'll command some interest though, no doubt.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Cutting him would save 20 million against the cap next season, with 10 million as a dead cap . But NO has zero chance at being good this year, and zero chance at being good next year.

NO has 41 players signed through the end of 2016. Which means they need to sign 12 more, however they are already 4 million over the projected cap with just those 41 players. They created a cap nightmare. Drew Brees is 36 this year, and next year will be 37. The cap wont be fixed for NO until 2017 when Brees is 38 and at that point your not promised any sort of production from Brees.

Look at all the cap space that had to be cleared this year to get under and what has happened with that roster. Next year again there are going to have to be some really hard decisions made. But by keeping Brees you are going to have a worse roster next year because that cap space has to come from somewhere. On top of that the roster is going to be weak. By releasing Brees you can take a significant cap hit. There is already 15 million in dead cap schedule for next year for the Saints. That would bring it up to 25 million for that year. It'd free up 20 and allow the team to start getting a few pieces and start building a team again. Yes it will hurt, yes it will be hard. But it's the only solution.

To me an extension would be out of the picture at this time. And if they do that that means they are going to have to move his money from his current contract and backload it to create space. Then you are going to have a lot of Guarantees going towards a 38 year old QB and staying in that vicious cap cycle the FO got you guys in anyways.

Threedee

Reaction score
If Nawlins is going to replace Brees, it's not going to be with McKown. I would expect them to draft a new one next year and continue to start Brees until the replacement is ready.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely time to cut bait with him. Especially if the shoulder injury is as bad as feared.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Threedee":2n9w3q6k said:
If Nawlins is going to replace Brees, it's not going to be with McKown. I would expect them to draft a new one next year and continue to start Brees until the replacement is ready.

They did draft a QB this year. They're not paying Brees 30M next year. That'd be ridiculous.

BlackandGolden":2n9w3q6k said:
Moving on makes sense financially, though he should be retained to help tutor Grayson. We do suck, so nothing would surprise me at this point.

I don't really understand why people are wishing to speed up the process of cutting/trading him. For all we know, it could mean the next 5 or 10 years of sucking before finding another QB that's even half as good.

Well I mean, they weren't any good last year. They're 0-3 this year. I love Drew, but it's time to move on. Hell maybe Brees comes back after they cut him and takes a much cheaper 1-2 year deal.. but I suspect with how starved the league is for QB's, if Brees doesn't retire.. someone will offer him the QB job (Chicago? NYJ? Buffalo? Cleveland? Washington? Philly?)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
How did the Saints end up in such a dire cap situation? The salary structure to the Brees contract is INSANE. Is Mickey Loomis drunk 24-7? Why would they give Junior Galette another $23 million guaranteed with two years left on his deal?

They have to hope that Brees agrees to a team-friendly extension that allows them to greatly lower his salary cap hit next year. They won't get value for him, and moving on from a Top 10 QB is almost always dumb, even a 36-year-old one with a bum shoulder.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
hawknation2015":30o116yc said:
How did the Saints end up in such a dire cap situation? The salary structure to the Brees contract is INSANE. Is Mickey Loomis drunk 24-7? Why would they give Junior Galette another $23 million guaranteed with two years left on his deal?

They have to hope that Brees agrees to a team-friendly extension that allows them to greatly lower his salary cap hit next year. They won't get value for him, and moving on from a Top 10 QB is almost always dumb, even a 36-year-old one with a bum shoulder.

They also handed out a monster contract to Jairus Byrd in which they overpaid. Next year he's scheduled to make about 43 million in the next 4 years.

He missed 5 games in 2013 with the Bills and became a Free Agent. Played 4 games with the Saints before suffering a season ending injury and hasn't played a down this year. With the injuries he's already sustained this has turned into a horrible contract, especially not knowing if he will ever be the same player.

Between Cameron Jordans contract, who is getting over 12 million next year with Drew Brees as 30 Million and Byrd you have about 55 Million tied up just next year on three players. Thats roughly 37% of next years cap. Which leaves 50 players to share the other 95 million. How are you going to build a team around that? You can't trade Brees with that contract especially as a one year rental.

The only solution is to cut Brees. Eat the dead cap hit of 10 million. Save 20 million. Then start 2017 with a completely fresh slate with all those bad contracts mainly off the books. Rebuild.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":30gudchs said:
hawknation2015":30gudchs said:

They also handed out a monster contract to Jairus Byrd in which they overpaid. Next year he's scheduled to make about 43 million in the next 4 years.

He missed 5 games in 2013 with the Bills and became a Free Agent. Played 4 games with the Saints before suffering a season ending injury and hasn't played a down this year. With the injuries he's already sustained this has turned into a horrible contract, especially not knowing if he will ever be the same player.

Between Cameron Jordans contract, who is getting over 12 million next year with Drew Brees as 30 Million and Byrd you have about 55 Million tied up just next year on three players. Thats roughly 37% of next years cap. Which leaves 50 players to share the other 95 million. How are you going to build a team around that? You can't trade Brees with that contract especially as a one year rental.

The only solution is to cut Brees. Eat the dead cap hit of 10 million. Save 20 million. Then start 2017 with a completely fresh slate with all those bad contracts mainly off the books. Rebuild.

Yeah, the structure of that Byrd contract is pretty bad. $9 million per year is around market value for a Pro Bowl FS, but the way it's structured will see cap hits of $10.9 million, $11.7 million, and $12.2 million from 2016-18.

Really makes you appreciate the way a good GM can structure a deal.

Tyrann Mathieu is going to want at least $10 million a year.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3cfo6msq said:

They knew he was getting old in age, so they went all in, trying to field the best possible team with some high priced FA's. The terrible recent drafts also played a role in setting us back.

El Caliente

Reaction score
I think we find a way to extend Brees, or restructure him more. It would make sense to part with him, but he is so much of who we are, the PR would be a train wreck. People in New Orleans picture Drew and Sean when they think of our rebirth after Katrina.

Moving on makes sense, and we have nobody to blame for being over the cap but ourselves. Byrd was paid market (because he was a top 3 fa), but that didn't work out. Junior was our best pass rusher so we locked him up, but his profinity for hitting women was larger than his desire to play football, so thats a huge blow. Brandon Browner is 31 and getting paid $5mil a year for the next 3, that doesn't make sense. We have been keeping key players (Evans, Colston, Strief, etc.) by essentially paying Peter (living in the now) by robbing Paul (planning for the future). Its a big quagmire, and I don't see us with a record above .500 until 2017 when we will finally be out of salary cap hell.

I don't think Grayson is the QB of the future, but thats just me. I think that if we finish with a top 3 pick (which we will) we should trade down, and look to pick up one of the top 3 qbs in this years draft. McCown isn't the answer but he is a heck of a backup. The guy is smart, and as witnessed last week, he can fill in that Todd Bouman spot if need be.

I will hate to see Brees go, but if he must for the sake of the franchise then he must. We sent Archie Manning (Payton and Eli's dad) to the Vikings for his final years, but that had more to do with our owner being more interested in the bottom line, than for football reasons. If we do move on from Brees, even with that Salary he has, if you can net anything for him, you do it. A team like the Jags, or somebody else who always has cap room, send him there. See if you can net something pretty in return for a guy who will sell tickets for your franchise. But I don't see him retiring in NO.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
How is Browner doing? I saw some Saints fans bitch about him saying he looked disinterested and playing poorly. Is that on him or the scheme?

El Caliente

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":12qcjpxh said:
How is Browner doing? I saw some Saints fans bitch about him saying he looked disinterested and playing poorly. Is that on him or the scheme?

A bit of both.
1) Nobody signs a 31 y/o cb to a 3 yr/ $15 mil contract, but we did. For $5 mil a season we could have probably gotten more help at wr, and the oppotunity cost is what fans bitch about more than Browner's play.

2) Browner, for who all his reputation, isn't a Pro Bowl cb. He is big, and he is slow. Rob Ryan doesn't know how to put him in a position to do well, and nobody in New Orleans is shocked by Ryan's ineptness. How that man has lasted so long in the league is beyond everyones comprehension.

A better coach to work under, and placed in better positions, I could see Browner being a better player, but right now, the Saints aren't doing much to help him, and in return he isn't doing much to help them.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":2slbxzvj said:
Trading Brees will be nearly impossible with that kind of cap number. As a free agent he'll command some interest though, no doubt.

Yeah teams will be lining up to see if he can have a Peyton Manning late career surge. Even with the diminished arm strength, Peyton has kept the Broncos relevant. Other QB-needy teams will give Brees a chance to do the same for them.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
So if he is cut what are the chances he ends up in Santa Clara playing for the 9ers or L.A. playing for the Rams and thus our Hawks have to face him twice a year?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
El Caliente":1xvtcmip said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1xvtcmip said:

A bit of both.
1) Nobody signs a 31 y/o cb to a 3 yr/ $15 mil contract, but we did. For $5 mil a season we could have probably gotten more help at wr, and the oppotunity cost is what fans bitch about more than Browner's play.

2) Browner, for who all his reputation, isn't a Pro Bowl cb. He is big, and he is slow. Rob Ryan doesn't know how to put him in a position to do well, and nobody in New Orleans is shocked by Ryan's ineptness. How that man has lasted so long in the league is beyond everyones comprehension.

A better coach to work under, and placed in better positions, I could see Browner being a better player, but right now, the Saints aren't doing much to help him, and in return he isn't doing much to help them.
I'd sure love to have BB back but not with that contract of course.I can't believe how stupid the Saints are with the cap.I mean you was already in cap hell and you go out and sign Jordan Cameron and BB.I wonder whats the punishment for being so far over the cap?Paul Allen could afford to do it lol.