Will the Falcons cakewalk into the 2nd seed?

ringless

Reaction score
REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Saints (1-4), at Titans (1-3), vs. Buccaneers (2-3), at 49ers (1-3), vs. Colts (3-2), vs. Vikings (2-2), at Buccaneers (2-3), at Panthers (4-0), at Jaguars (1-4), vs. Panthers (4-0), vs. Saints (1-4)

The only good team in the mix isn't even that good. Carolina!

GB and Atlanta seem to have the clear paths right now. I would have to think Seattle being 4 games back of GB right now (Tie breaker) that the #1 seed is just flat out out of the picture.

Getting the 2 seed from Atlanta is very unlikely as well

ctrcat

Reaction score
It's as if they didn't look like crap at home against the Redskins today. Well, guess what, they did. Understandable that most here didn't watch it since the Hawks game was at the same time but I was fortunate to watch both and came away thinking they could lose any one of their remaining games on the schedule. Heck they've trailed in the 4th quarter in 4 of their 5 games.

With the return of Kuechly (likely this week) and Lotulelei, the additions of Allen and an unknown (for now) Ryan Delaire in the last week or two, and the eventual expected return of Georgia native Charles Johnson that always destroys the Falcons, it's a better D on paper than the one that was 30+ points better before taking the foot off the gas less than 10 months ago. Cam won't be playing with a broken back this time either. This is assuming health which is a constant wildcard for any team including the Falcons. We'll see.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ctrcat":ti4rw2js said:
It's as if they didn't look like crap at home against the Redskins today. Well, guess what, they did. Understandable that most here didn't watch it since the Hawks game was at the same time but I was fortunate to watch both and came away thinking they could lose any one of their remaining games on the schedule. Heck they've trailed in the 4th quarter in 4 of their 5 games.

With the return of Kuechly (likely this week) and Lotulelei, the additions of Allen and an unknown (for now) Ryan Delaire in the last week or two, and the eventual expected return of Georgia native Charles Johnson that always destroys the Falcons, it's a better D on paper than the one that was 30+ points better before taking the foot off the gas less than 10 months ago. Cam won't be playing with a broken back this time either. This is assuming health which is a constant wildcard for any team including the Falcons. We'll see.

Your schedule is much tougher than Atlanta's though.. it's not a knock against your team, more just pointing out how laughable the Falcons schedule is.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":33g0k5rg said:
ctrcat":33g0k5rg said:

Your schedule is much tougher than Atlanta's though.. it's not a knock against your team, more just pointing out how laughable the Falcons schedule is.

Yes that is what I meant. Atlanta has to play some really, really bad teams. There wouldn't be any reason to believe they can't split with Carolina either.

This week will be the week I certainly root for Carolina!

ctrcat

Reaction score
ringless":10rqc0f0 said:
Hasselbeck":10rqc0f0 said:
ctrcat":10rqc0f0 said:

Yes that is what I meant. Atlanta has to play some really, really bad teams. There wouldn't be any reason to believe they can't split with Carolina either.

Yeah their schedule is certainly easier on paper by a long shot. But if they do hypothetically split and finish with the same record I wouldn't disregard the Panthers already being 2-0 in the division with the Falcons being 0-0 with a prime time slot in NO where in prime time they even beat the Packers last year despite having a losing home record. Not to mention that strength of victory and strength of schedule are two of the top 6 tiebreakers. Probably too much info for now, but I don't subscribe to their cakewalk to a bye theory for multiple reasons.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
ctrcat":lkyirrth said:
ringless":lkyirrth said:
Hasselbeck":lkyirrth said:
ctrcat":lkyirrth said:

Yeah their schedule is certainly easier on paper by a long shot. But if they do hypothetically split and finish with the same record I wouldn't disregard the Panthers already being 2-0 in the division with the Falcons being 0-0 with a prime time slot in NO where in prime time they even beat the Packers last year despite having a losing home record. Not to mention that strength of victory and strength of schedule are two of the top 6 tiebreakers. Probably too much info for now, but I don't subscribe to their cakewalk to a bye theory for multiple reasons.

Well I guess I had already assumed that Caroline likely loses this week (Which trust me I don't want) But Seattle is the better team and the better team often wins. I then figured a split with Atl. Obviously it's too early to tell, but Atl at this time seems like the favorite for the division. In the NFL things can change very quickly. If you guys upset Seattle I will change my tune and be very excited for us both. But I don't want to get my hopes up

At the same time you have to take into account that the Panthers and Falcons play 14 games in common every season.

The Panthers have beat Jacksonville, Houston, NO, and TB. This is a good game coming up to see where they really are. Both teams have very week schedules overall

ctrcat

Reaction score
ringless":1yn25z32 said:
ctrcat":1yn25z32 said:
ringless":1yn25z32 said:
Hasselbeck":1yn25z32 said:

Well I guess I had already assumed that Caroline likely loses this week (Which trust me I don't want) But Seattle is the better team and the better team often wins. I then figured a split with Atl. Obviously it's too early to tell, but Atl at this time seems like the favorite for the division. In the NFL things can change very quickly. If you guys upset Seattle I will change my tune and be very excited for us both. But I don't want to get my hopes up

At the same time you have to take into account that the Panthers and Falcons play 14 games in common every season.

The Panthers have beat Jacksonville, Houston, NO, and TB. This is a good game coming up to see where they really are. Both teams have very week schedules overall

I didn't watch the Hawks/Rams game in it's entirety, only the end of the 4th quarter and OT, nor did I watch the Hawks/Bears in it's entirety, but I did watch the Hawks in their other 3 games and have seen the Panthers in all 4. The Panthers have looked like the better team to me and again it's been without Kuechly. Of course the Hawks have had a tougher schedule, were without Kam in the first two games, etc., but I don't think the Panthers will be intimidated and I do think they're looking forward to the opportunity. I would not put any money on it by any means but they're certainly due to get that one or two breaks against the Hawks that would get what has become a monkey off the back.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
The certainly can. I feel teams might have a little more confidence seeing the Seahawks struggles this year. (Lions game at home)

I hope Luke gets cleared this week from his week one concussion because he's going to have to be taking on some big responsibilities this week.

Carolina has definitely played Seattle tough. Last year I remembered thinking they might win it.
2014 13-9 Seahawks
2013- 12-7 Seahawks
2012- 16-12 Seahawks

All one possession games so you guys have played them tougher than most. Why do you feel that is? I am not too familiar with the Panthers so I'll admit my knowledge of them is pretty weak.

ctrcat

Reaction score
ringless":20p1hly3 said:
The certainly can. I feel teams might have a little more confidence seeing the Seahawks struggles this year. (Lions game at home)

I hope Luke gets cleared this week from his week one concussion because he's going to have to be taking on some big responsibilities this week.

Carolina has definitely played Seattle tough. Last year I remembered thinking they might win it.
2014 13-9 Seahawks
2013- 12-7 Seahawks
2012- 16-12 Seahawks

All one possession games so you guys have played them tougher than most. Why do you feel that is? I am not too familiar with the Panthers so I'll admit my knowledge of them is pretty weak.

I think in 2012 despite having the ball at the goal line and Cam throwing an all time bad pass in the dirt that would have won the game, it was clear that the Hawks were the better team, no ifs, ands, or buts. For whatever reason that was a 4 PM EST game as well, and the Panthers were coming off what is still to this day the worst regular season loss in franchise history, ironically @ATL.

Shortly after that game however GM Marty Hurney was fired and Dave Gettleman was hired in early 2013. I think the simple crux of the "why" you asked has everything to do with Gettleman. In a league full of extremely bright professionals including JS and others, Gettleman simply knows what he's doing and has somehow managed to remain competitive, improve the roster, and get out of salary cap hell at the same time. A rare feat, but without writing a dissertation that's the simple and easy answer to your question. He values defense and was able to get two quality young DT's with his first two picks among many other quality moves.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
ringless":3peqxoqx said:

2014 13-9 Seahawks
2013- 12-7 Seahawks
2012- 16-12 Seahawks

We also beat them last year in the playoffs 31-17. 8)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":1t5074uz said:
REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Saints (1-4), at Titans (1-3), vs. Buccaneers (2-3), at 49ers (1-3), vs. Colts (3-2), vs. Vikings (2-2), at Buccaneers (2-3), at Panthers (4-0), at Jaguars (1-4), vs. Panthers (4-0), vs. Saints (1-4)

The only good team in the mix isn't even that good. Carolina!

GB and Atlanta seem to have the clear paths right now. I would have to think Seattle being 4 games back of GB right now (Tie breaker) that the #1 seed is just flat out out of the picture.

Getting the 2 seed from Atlanta is very unlikely as well

According to my favorite statisticians, the Seahawks have a 9% chance at a first round bye.

Green Bay is at 70%. Atlanta is at 47%. Carolina is 3rd most likely at 31%.

UU5FVN0

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I have Arizona and GB getting the 1 and 2 seeds.

I don't think Carolina has looked good at all. They've played Jacksonville, Houston, New Orleans and Tampa Bay. That's 4 of the worst teams in the NFL. By comparison the best record they've played to date is 2-3, but two of the Bucs wins came against two of the teams on that list. Taking away the Panthers games and those teams are a combined 5-11 - but two of those wins and losses came against one another...

That schedule is weaker than the Cardinals thus far....much weaker.

I think both the Panthers and Falcons will go 11-5, and both lose in the first round of the playoffs. Especially if the Rams or Seahawks get the 6 seed.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I wonder how Atlanta's chances for a first round bye are now?

It was a road division game, which are always tough, but IMO Atlanta's D was playing over their heads, and I think Brees showed it. The Saints haven't exactly had a potent offense this year, but they were unstoppable in the 2nd half.

Erebus

Reaction score
I know it's a long shot, but the Seahawks can still get the #1 seed if they finish in a 3-way tie with GB and ATL at 13-3 (assuming GB's and ATL's losses are to NFC opponents).

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
ctrcat":2b3w4qhd said:

I know you wont like it. And it makes me a little bit of a hypocrite. But I just don't believe in them yet. Carolina is yet to beat a team with a winning record.

You guys get the Packers at home in two weeks. ( Who might not be undefeated) Beat them and I'll be a believer.

The last time the Panthers PLAYED (not beat) a team with a winning record was November 10th last year. Which means the Panther after this weeks game will have gone over a year without even playing a team with a winning record.

That's pretty lucky if you ask me.

The last time Carolina BEAT a team with a winning record? September 14th, 2014

At the same time, that's still incredibly difficult to do. I will say I think you are certainly a top team. Just not a contender.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Have the Cardinals or the Packers beaten teams with a winning record this season?

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
LolaRox":2htezmwg said:
Have the Cardinals or the Packers beaten teams with a winning record this season?

No but there is a team in this division who has! The 49ers are the only team in the division to beat a team with a winning record.

There is a huge difference. The Packers are a proven commodity.
They also have Aaron Rodgers.