NFC West Week 7 Edition

ringless

Reaction score
Starting this early this week due to Thursday night game: Will add more detail to thread as the week continues and more information is available

After week 5:
Cardinals 4-2
Rams 2-3*
Hawks 2-4
49ers 2-4

The Lines:
Seattle -5.5
St Louis -5.5
Arizona -7.5

Elo Says:
Seattle 59% over San Fran 41%
St Louis 66% over Cleveland 34%
Arizona 71% over Baltimore 29%

DVOA: Total: Offense Defense
Arizona: #1 #3 #4
Baltimore: #13 #16 #18

San Fran: #32 #28 #31
Seattle: #9 #12 #12

St. Louis: #17 #30 #7
Cleveland: #20 #23 #28

This week kicks off when the Seahawks travel to play the 49ers at Levi's on a short week for both teams. Travel will have no effect on this weeks game for either team. While both teams have the same record I really feel they are in different worlds of talent. Seattle can still win the division while I couldn't say I'd even consider the other team in contention. If San Fransisco wants to win they are going to need to make sure to get Hyde going. One common thing among winning teams against Seattle is they have controlled the clock, and ran more plays. Seattle's only two wins have come against the winless Lions at the time, and a bad Bears team while the 49ers wins have come against the Vikings who are 3-2 and a struggling Ravens team. Seattle has shown that it struggles on the road last year going 4-4, and this year starting the Season 0-3 on the road. While both wins for SF have come at home. I believe despite Seattle having quite possibly the worst O-line in the league that SF is going to have a hard time generating a consistent pass rush like they will need to do against this team. Seattle ultimately wins this game. In a sense this might as well be a playoff game because who ever is 2-5 is likely going to have a huge hill to climb to get into a WC spot, while the winner will still contend for the division. Wouldn't it be ironic if it was a bad SF teams turn to put a dagger through the hearts of Seattle this year as Seattle did to them last year during Thanksgiving?

The Rams will travel to Cleveland this week and despite the Browns 2-4 record they have been in every game this year. Certainly seem to be playing better than years past. The Rams defense has been suffocating this year but the offense just hasn't been good enough to get the job done outside of this division. I believe that will change this week and they will get their first win over a non-divisional opponent this week. I don't expect it to be a blowout because this offense hasnt shown they are capable of that with a below average group of WR's and O-line.

The Cardinals will host the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night. While they have a high powered offense that has gotten just under 500 yards in both of their losses the defense just hasn't been able to buckle down late in games on key drives. In both losses personal fouls came in bunches that certainly helped seal the fate. This defense is nowhere near as good as it was in years past however the offense might be as good as it has ever been. I'd say it's an inconsistent team right now as showed by the first half dominance and the second half let down. I don't know how a team losses a game that had 300 yards to 50 after a half of football but they found a way. The Baltimore offense has been able to put up some pretty good numbers despite having a lack of WR's in averaging 23.33 PPG but the defense is giving up 25PPG and has had it's issues. As Calais Campbell said. Good teams don't lose two games in a row. So I'd expect the Cardinals to win this week.

After Week 7

AZ 5-2
STL 3-3
SEA 3-4
SF 2-5

PLAYER
RedAlice 16-7
RINGLESS 15-8
KEARLY 14-9
drdiags 14-5
Hawksfansinceday1 14-9
POPEYEJONES 13-10
REX 12-7
Fade 12-11
Hasselbeck 12-11
Shadowhawk 11-12
Mizzou 11-9
greenblue_eye's2 9-6
ClutchDJ 10-9
UNCLE SI 8-4
Superman28 8-8
Erebus 7-5
SF49er 6-12
Marvin49 5-5
Kearly 4-3
b8rtm8nn 5-6
Largent80 3-4
SALISHHAWKFAN 3-5
Laloosh 2-6

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Ringless the Browns are coming to St. Louis...

My observations on the match ups this week:

The Thursday game: who are the Niners? Who are the Seahawks? Niners haven't looked good, but the truth is, their losses have come against the Cardinals in AZ, Green Bay, the Steelers in PIT, and at the Giants.

Their only home loss coming to the Packers - and they held Green Bay to 17 points in that game. The Niners are getting a bad rep this year primarily because of the offseason IMO. The only sub .500 team the Niners have played are the Ravens, and the Niners were pretty much in control of the game start to finish. There aren't many teams that would be better than their 2-4 record IMO. However, there are a lot of teams that wouldn't have gotten blown out by PIT and AZ, or lost to GB by 14 points at home. The narrative was spun in the offseason that this team would be a disaster - at times they have looked it.

But the reality for the Niners is, these next two games are their season: home for Seattle and then off to STL. They need to win one or their season is over. Getting the division champs at home after two weeks of solid play, I think SF has the edge. On the flip side, they have no pass rush and their defense can be had. My gut still tells me that Seattle wins big, but I've been wrong on the Seahawks too many times. If the Niners win, this game will be ugly.

Cardinals/Ravens:

Cards will be mad, and playing at home. Ravens are 1-5, so not good for them. BUT - Baltimore has been in every game. They are sort of the AFC version of the Seahawks right now. They are one play away in each game from being 6-0. I think the Cardinals win, but Baltimore keeps it close.

Rams/Browns:

Last time we were favored, we lost. Hopefully being at home, against a below average team, coming off a bye is enough to get a win here. I'm not going to lie - style points will matter to me in this game. I expect the Rams to win by 10+, even though the Browns have been competitive in nearly every game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
49ERS/SEAHAWKS:

While I'd find it funny for the 9ers to really stab the Seahawk's division chances in the chest, I just don't think it happens. Wilson's much better when he's not under pressure, and the 9ers just can't get any pressure. Likewise, every week the 9ers have major coverage breakdowns in the secondary, and a major component of Wilson's game is to CREATE coverage breakdowns.

The 9ers offense has been playing much better for two weeks now, but that improvement is incredibly fragile. The O-line is still a mess, and they've been increasingly relying on gimmick/gimmie passing plays. Across weeks those types of tendencies should get less and less effective, and I think we'll start to see that against the Hawks. As I said before the season, Hyde's ability to stay healthy is really in question at this point. He's still doing a ton without how little room he's given (consistently getting two or three yards when you're always hit in the backfield is a feat in itself), but the 9ers need him to be in a committee, and they don't have one.

If the Seahawks run game is effective this will be a blowout, if not, they'll still win.

No commentary for the other two, as I think they're pretty straightforward.

Cardinals over Ravens (a good team beats a bad team).

Rams over Browns (a good defense and what will now be decent offense w/ Gurley beats an awful defense that has gotten lucky in PPG and a massively over-performing offense that simply doesn't have the talent to keep it up).

All the favorites win this week

Hawks > 9ers
Cards > Ravens
Rams > Browns

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
49rs over the Seahawks (and the meltdown continues on this board)*
Cards over the Ravens (always a homer)
Rams over the Browns (although I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams screw this up after a bye)

*upset special

SF49r

Reaction score
Niners over Seahawks
Ravens over cards
browns over Rams
Upsets every week

drdiags

Reaction score
Current Record 14-5:

Seattle at 9ers: I will go with the homer pick but these guys are not inspiring much confidence. I guess whomever sold their soul for that SB win has had the payment come due.

Seattle: 3-4
9ers: 2-5

Rams at Browns: I would think the Rams but just when I think they are rising up, they have a game like they did in GB. They should be able to move the ball on the Browns with the injuries in the secondary but I am going to go with the Browns on this one.

Rams: 2-4

Ravens at Cards: Cards re-group from their hiccup in Pittsburgh. They are the class of the division right now. Not sure how they let a 3rd stringer come on and rally his team but I expect them to hold serve at home.

Cards: 5-2

NorCal

Reaction score
Ramfan128":19q5yiav said:
They need to win one or their season is over.

I think SF needs to win both the next two games to have any hope of playoffs. In reality, they just aren't good enough though.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Just don't have any confidence in my team left in me and it feels very, very sad. But I'm changing my pick (Thursday afternoon, 1:30 PM Pacific time) based on the team wearing the wolf greys. Hey, gotta hang my hope on something!
Hawks 24
9ers 22

Cards win somewhat handily.
Cards 31
Ravens 17

This is the kind of game the Rams have lost when they shouldn't in years past. Is this the year they quit doing so? The game earlier this year vs. Washington says 'no'. Todd Gurley says 'yes'.
Rams 20
Brownies 17

kearly

Reaction score
Cards win
Seahawks win
49ers lose
Rams win

Last week sucked. Vegas went 0-3 and so did I.

RTD 14-9

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":1glmm2or said:
Cards win
Seahawks win
49ers lose
Rams win

Last week sucked. Vegas went 0-3 and so did I.

RTD 14-9

49% of bettors took Carolina, 51% took Seattle
51% of bettors took Baltimore, 49% took SF
72% of bettors took Arizona, 28% took Pitt

Vegas LOVED this weekend.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Anyway .. Week 7 Picks

Browns over Rams
Cardinals over Ravens
Niners over Seahawks

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
NorCal":3c77aiau said:
Ramfan128":3c77aiau said:

I think SF needs to win both the next two games to have any hope of playoffs. In reality, they just aren't good enough though.

Yep, Kap is on record at his presser after yesterdays win over the Ravens saying that the 49ers will go 12-4 this season...We will see, there's still a lot of Football to be played before the season is over.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Rams win
Hawks Win
Cards win
Niners lose

Todd Gurley Vs the inept Browns rush defense is intriguing. Plus it's in STL.

Wilson beats Kap... again.

Ravens lack of D Vs the high flying Cards. This could get ugly in the desert.

Niners reclaim their place at the bottom of the division without any company. (Who woulda though that company would be SEA??? NFL is just crazy.)

Fade

Reaction score
RTD 12-11

49ers - W - The Niners will be looking for some get back.
Seahawks - L - Pete Carroll is in denial about everything.
Cards - W - Another Cupcake.
Rams - W - Rams finally beat a team they are supposed to.

NINEster

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":1wtuy88s said:
NorCal":1wtuy88s said:
Ramfan128":1wtuy88s said:

Yep, Kap is on record at his presser after yesterdays win over the Ravens saying that the 49ers will go 12-4 this season...We will see, there's still a lot of Football to be played before the season is over.

Yeah, that's what he said........

Come on.

Just like Russell Wilson "1-0" tweet against the Rams....right?

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
^^^Don't blame the messenger...I'm just repeating what Kap said, I saw him say it via ch. 5 KPIX. I'm just spilling the tea on the info, "no shade" btw. :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kind of cool that the least hostile thread on the site is the one with fans from every team in the division.