How are teams selected to play in London

ringless

Reaction score
Is it optional?

I was just wondering why KC would give up a home game to play their if so? I'm having a hard time finding information on the subject.

Basis4day

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Inter ... me_history

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70892 ... itain-2016

There are special intensives for the designated "Home Team" to play in London that appeal to teams that have difficulty selling out their home stadium (That doesn't apply to the chiefs of course).

http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-london-serie ... 30-2079890:

Jacksonville’s current agreement to play at Wembley Stadium began in 2013 and will end in 2016. This year, the Jaguars will travel to London to play the Buffalo Bills Oct. 25. Under the present arrangement, the NFL designates Jacksonville as the home team in its London contests, meaning the franchise receives two-thirds of the ticket revenue generated by the games and has access to local sponsorship revenue. If Khan gets his way, the Jaguars will continue to enjoy the benefits of that access for at least the next 15 years.

The NFL’s revenue-sharing model divides leaguewide earnings from corporate sponsorships, media-rights deals and a portion of ticket sales equally among all its 32 franchises. But franchises are free to pursue team-specific income through their portion of ticket sales at home games, stadium naming-rights deals and local sponsorships.

In this sense, Jacksonville executives say the club’s annual participation in the London series has had a noticeable effect on the franchise’s bottom line. The Jaguars play only one game in London per season, but they draw 15 percent of their team-specific revenue from the U.K. city, ESPN reported. The club’s earnings through sponsorships, including London deals, rose 29 percent in 2013, the first year the Jaguars played at Wembley.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The teams volunteer. Initially the Rams had volunteered for 3 consecutive years and would give up a home game for each one. The stadium authority in St. Louis complained that was against the lease and so two of them were cancelled.

I think Kahn has signed up the Jags for one home game every year for the next 5 years.

The teams get a share of the profits from the games, which is why some teams in smaller markets (like Jacksonville) probably like it. Kahn seems to be working on London as part of his marketing plan and is likely the candidate to move to London if the NFL decides to do so.

Per PFT no "home" London team has ever finished with a winning record.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-london/

And, here's another answer from this site
http://sports.stackexchange.com/questio ... -in-london

Yes, teams agree to play in the games, presumably for a significant portion of the proceeds (though that, as with most things in the NFL, isn't made public). The reasons vary; for example, teams with small home stadiums and/or difficulty selling out seats will likely make a profit, as Wembley Stadium is reasonably large and typically sells over 80,000 seats per game, buying relatively expensive tickets ($150-$200 depending on the exchange rate, which is on par for a large-market team and more than smaller market teams will typically get). That's why teams like Jacksonville and Tampa Bay agree to do this, as they have relatively light attendance and can't charge as much for tickets.

None of that make sense for KC though and they are the home team in London.

drrew

Reaction score
In reading this article http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article3596900.html it sounds like they volunteered and the fact that Clark Hunt is chairman of NFL International Committee it makes sense.

If he heads the committee, he'll have a lot more credibility asking other teams to play there as more games are played overseas. Looks like the # jumps to 4 a season in 2018. You have to figure Seattle ends up there one of these years.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Thank you,

A friend of mine is a Chiefs fan that was trying to tell me they were forced into it. However I had recalled a lot of teams saying they would not play a home game their. Considering the Chiefs have a huge HFA it didn't make sense. But now that the owner gets to pad his pockets it does. So my question for Chiefs fans will be. Is winning more important, or the revenues from an overseas game :stirthepot:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3avmbb0a said:
Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock.

Khaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn...Khannnnnnnnnn...
[youtube]e7X01_j_oDA[/youtube]

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm curious how much (if any) are the season tickets discounted for the teams that play a home game in London. Are they cutting prices by 10% or did they have a simultaneous per game increase to keep revenues from home sales closer to even?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well from the track record of what teams have been going I'd say the selection process goes like this;

1. Do you stink?
2. If yes, are your fans apathetic and wouldn't care if you lost a home game?
3. If yes, do you like more money?
4. If yes, you're our team!

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":35lom3rc said:
I'm curious how much (if any) are the season tickets discounted for the teams that play a home game in London. Are they cutting prices by 10% or did they have a simultaneous per game increase to keep revenues from home sales closer to even?

The season ticket holders are charged for 7 regular season games instead of 8.

Articles state that the Home team gets a 1 million dollar incentive as well as a greater % of the London game tickets and merch. Throw in a sellout crowd of 84,021 for a Home team like the Jags at Wembley and it makes financial sense for a team that struggles to sell-out.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2oy0gbk1 said:
kidhawk":2oy0gbk1 said:

Articles state that the Home team gets a 1 million dollar incentive as well as a greater % of the London game tickets and merch. Throw in a sellout crowd of 84,021 for a Home team like the Jags at Wembley and it makes financial sense for a team that struggles to sell-out.

Home teams (as far as I know) sell pre season as part of their package, making it 10 games not 8. My question was have teams going to London raised ticket prices, offsetting most of this single game move or are teams actually letting them save money. Teams raise prices all the time. It wouldn't be difficult for a team to sneak a little extra increase into the ticket sales in the hopes of getting a little extra cash.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":1d02hfz4 said:
Basis4day":1d02hfz4 said:
kidhawk":1d02hfz4 said:

Home teams (as far as I know) sell pre season as part of their package, making it 10 games not 8. My question was have teams going to London raised ticket prices, offsetting most of this single game move or are teams actually letting them save money. Teams raise prices all the time. It wouldn't be difficult for a team to sneak a little extra increase into the ticket sales in the hopes of getting a little extra cash.

That's why i specified regular season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2bikfwe8 said:
kidhawk":2bikfwe8 said:
Basis4day":2bikfwe8 said:
kidhawk":2bikfwe8 said:

That's why i specified regular season.

Let me be more clear, and I don't expect an answer because truly only the front offices of teams would know the answer, but my question is specifically in regards to season ticket sales but could possibly include all home game ticket sales. Teams generally price all seats the same across the season for the Season Ticket holder, so let's say for example, a seat was $100 per game and the season ticket was $1,000. I am curiuos if that season ticket holder is now paying $900 or if they raised the price of the ticket to say $111 per game to make the season tickets cost similar to when they weren't in London. I'd be interested to know if they did that. Even if they only increased it by a few dollars just to get a few extra on the side. I'm sure nobody but the team's front office knows this, so I am going to just have to remain curious about it.

Rex

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6re2uboe said:
Well from the track record of what teams have been going I'd say the selection process goes like this;

1. Do you stink?

Not so. The Rams played the Cheatriots in London. Its voluntary and perhaps a way to gain favor with the league office.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
drrew":1gzs6o79 said:
and the fact that Clark Hunt is chairman of NFL International Committee it makes sense.

I'm sure Jed York previously held that position (or one similar), I remember him being interviewed and he actually made a lot of sense.

Edit: It was John York.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rex":c6q6hblh said:
Sgt. Largent":c6q6hblh said:

1. Do you stink?

Not so. The Rams played the Cheatriots in London. Its voluntary and perhaps a way to gain favor with the league office.

Right, and after the Patriots got home from that game they cancelled their agreement to play in 2013 and 2014 in London.

The good teams are realizing that the travel and headache of going to London far outweigh the more money and whatever "favor" you speak of.

Now the league's going after the stinkers in the league that are having a hard time selling out games and want that extra revenue.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Rex":2oz23tba said:
Sgt. Largent":2oz23tba said:

1. Do you stink?

That is all. LOL

Threedee

Reaction score
I thought there were only two games in London each season, but this will already be the third, at least.