NFL Observations Half-Way Through The Season

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What are your NFL observations through week 8? Here is what I have.....

- Quartberback is by far the most important position in all of sports. It's simple, if you don't have a QB, you won't win. Cowboys go 3-0 with Romo, haven't won since. The drop off from Fitzpatrick to Geno is huge. Having a quality backup QB is a must. Good thing we have one of the most durable QB's in the game.

- The Broncos defense looks like the Seahawks defense of 2013. Two shutdown press corners, a fierce pass rush, and very good linebackers.

- Patriots are clearly the best team in the NFL

- Who would have thought that if the playoffs started today, both the Jets and Raiders would be in the playoffs. Oh, and the Raiders are for real. So are the Jets.....as long as Geno isn't QB.

- The Atlanta Falcons are not good. I've watched almost all their games. If they had a normal schedule they would probably be 3-5 or 2-6. They just happened to inherit the league's easiest schedule. Sorry Dan Q, I have to call it like I see it.

- The 49ers are really bad. Easily the worst team in the NFL. Hyde was the lone bright spot, and he may get shelved because of a foot issue. To add insult to injury they just lost Reggie Bush and their third string RB Mike Davis. Time to call in the 4th stringer!

- Sam Bradford is who we thought he was all along. A soft QB who isn't very good.

- Chip Kelly is failing big time. I doubt his team turns it around. His only saving grace is the division he plays in.

- The AFC South is historically bad. There are 3 teams in that division that are legit contenders for the #1 pick in next years draft. And the team at the top may only win 8 games.

- The 2012 QB draft class is having a tough year. Luck and Russell have seemed to take a step back this year. Poor O-Lines aren't helping them. RG3 is now an afterthought. Tannehill, Foles, and Cousins look like mediocre quarterbacks.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
good assessment...Hope the Raiders get in. You forgot to add the Browns still suck...

Rex

Reaction score
Have to disagree about QBs being necessary to win. That has been disproven in the last 15 years. For team sports the pitcher in baseball is far more necessary to win.

drdiags

Reaction score
If I weren't pulling for an NFL team, I would like to see the Panthers vs Bengals in the Superbowl.

Raiders must have spent their 40 yrs in the desert because you can see there is something growing there.

NFC West. I am not sure about Noles but the Rams are on the upswing.

Seahawks are going to have a tough time getting back into the race this season. Wish they could go 8-0 in the second half but I just don't see it right now.

Thought the 9ers would somehow be competitive but I guess the naysayers were right.

Cards have a nice blend on offense and defense. Chris Johnson helps the Cards running game making it a threat. Until they aren't leading the division, they are leading the division. They are winning the games they should. That's all you can ask, though that Steelers game stinks. Maybe they should have tried to keep Vick healthy so they win that one. :thirishdrinkers:

NFC East still in a state of flux, cannot determine who the division leader will be when it is all said and done.

NFC North. Vikings are looking good as one of the Wildcard teams. Don't think they can catch the Packers.

NFC South. I see the Falcons falling back to earth but the Saints are on a hot streak so I can see them passing the Falcons eventually. Panthers should win the division unless something crazy happens. Not sure about the Panthers offense. They beat the Seahawks with a rookie and a TE but they need some help on offense.

AFC South. Bradley is going to lose his job, no matter what the owner says. The division winner may not have a winning record.

AFC West looks to be the Broncos to win but Raiders are putting together a nice team. Jets losing their QB hurt but that Raiders O did okay.

AFC North. Ravens and Browns are not a factor. Steelers could get it turned around but Ben has to accelerate getting rid of the rust. D Williams should help with the loss of Bell.

AFC East. Jets are toast with their QB position so ugly. Patriots just have to deal with the Broncos and Bengals before getting back to the Bowl.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Cam looks good to me. He's ballin' and is slamming the door on these teams when it matters. Right now, he's playing as well as anyone.

RedAlice

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2b4v80ra said:
RedAlice":2b4v80ra said:
I wish Cam Newton was my QB.

really...becaus I think he has played pretty bad tonight

Depends on who you are comparing him to. (or: It depends on which Quarterback to whom you are comparing him. :lol: )

And, this is my refrain for two years now. It remains.

Jville

Reaction score
Greg Olsen is awesome. The complete tight end.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Interesting

And for the record, I'd feel really good about the Rams beating the Pats. We match up well against TE's, strong pressure, really good secondary production, best RB in the biz, and Tavon has 6 TD's already. (Still time to get the passing chemistry in check. It's getting there.)

I just want that chance. I can't stand them. I want Mr. Brady to meet Mr. Barron in the worste way. He has a way with QB's.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
IMO Cam is the first half MVP. That offense has little to no talent, and he makes everything work. I know Rodgers and Brady have been awesome, but Cam has exceeded everyone's expectations.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
If the Rams had an above average QB they'd win the NFC West going away.

The Raiders are for real. Excellent drafts, an improving young QB and a coach that's good enough to have actually won in Jacksonville. If they don't make the playoffs, it'll likely be because of that loss to the Bears

Agree with Hawk-Lock that the Donkey's D looks like the 2013 Hawks' D. Still say they don't make the Owl cuz Pey Pey will struggle in cold weather and they'll lose a game like 17-13 in the playoffs.

Arizona looks good, but I still don't trust Palmer to get them to even a Conference Championship game. He just throws into double coverage too often and it's gonna bite 'em in the ass at some point. The defense may not be good enough to get 'em there either.

Seahawks won't even make the playoffs if they don't do something, anything about the red zone failures.

The Saints may well screw up someone's playoff plans.

Bengals are a really good team, maybe the most complete in the NFL and CAN challenge the Pats for the AFC berth in the Owl. HOWEVER, the Ginger has never done anything but fail in the playoffs and until he proves otherwise, I ain't buyin'.

Pagano and Caldwell will be next to be fired. O'Brien may make the end of the season but may not. After the season our old friend Bradley is likely done in J'ville.

Baalke and York have destroyed a good franchise.

If Chip Kelley thought Sam Bradford was the answer, he didn't understand the question. He did and didn't.

Two of the biggest surprises to me are the crappy records of the Ravens and Chargers.

When Tony Romo plays, the Cowpatties are clearly the best team in the NFC Least. Unfortunately for Dallas, he's missed 5 games. I don't think their playoff chances are dead yet though.

Rex

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":xl68l104 said:
If the Rams had an above average QB they'd win the NFC West going away.

I believe the Rams have that QB in Foles. The real weakness is the WRs dropping easy catches or not getting separation.