No more pylons or 1st down markers?

drrew

Reaction score
Players often use both pylons and 1st down markers to determine where they are on the field, I don't see them going anywhere.

drdiags

Reaction score
To replace the first down marker they will need to synchronize some type of player down sensor with the position of the ball at the time of contact. They would still need refs for the issue of forward motion being whistled dead.

The interesting concept is being able to judge when a player has gained control of the football. Does this mean 0 velocity and a time elapsed measurement, with some type of point of pressure applied to the ball. Will the uProcessor be like those anti-theft devices applied to DVDs and will there be a thin layer of membrane that covers the ball?

It would take a lot of the unknown out of the game but still would need some human intervention the technology isn't able to cover at the time of inception.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seeing this more and more... with some hi-tech fields using them under the field turf

Article 2266595 1718AC65000005DC 982 634x323

OP
OP
Exittium

Exittium

Reaction score
drrew":tkwregrs said:
Players often use both pylons and 1st down markers to determine where they are on the field, I don't see them going anywhere.
Not knowing where you have to go vs knowing and seeing where you have go also has a mental effect.

If one only has to go x amount then they're going to gove so much effort. If they dont see where they need to go then theyll probably fight harder and try harder for that extra yardage.

Now there's nothing sayjng they're eliminating them. I read it as they're going to be just that markers for teams to have a visual representation of where they need to go. And the sensor will help eliminate questionable things like Lukes TD.. Or Baldwins 1st down that was called 2nd and 1 when hia forward progress clearly got past the marker.

OP
OP
Exittium

Exittium

Reaction score
Im pretty intrigued by it and interested in seeing how they go forward with it. Thats for sure.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Some one has to ask this question....So I shall put my foot in this.....are they gonna have butt markers or butt sensors so that they know when the butt has made it to the ground to call the play dead. Just need to know stuff....yanno?? LOL

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Look forward to the technology that eliminates NFL refs.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
drdiags":1582zvht said:
To replace the first down marker they will need to synchronize some type of player down sensor with the position of the ball at the time of contact. They would still need refs for the issue of forward motion being whistled dead.

The interesting concept is being able to judge when a player has gained control of the football. Does this mean 0 velocity and a time elapsed measurement, with some type of point of pressure applied to the ball. Will the uProcessor be like those anti-theft devices applied to DVDs and will there be a thin layer of membrane that covers the ball?

It would take a lot of the unknown out of the game but still would need some human intervention the technology isn't able to cover at the time of inception.
Don't hold your breath on that one. It would require such a level of judgement as to require self-evolving algorithms accessing the entire network as a bot-net. Not saying it's not possible, just sayin...better not.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Just in case no one has thought of it, this is a fan sport. If they take away some of the fan experience, then what will the fans do? If they cant partake in what is going on while things are on the field of play, then what happens to their fun? Last weekend I could see there was no first down on the one play. I could see the marker but no yellow line??? I suppose they cant put that line on in real time. But My fan experience would have been lessened had I not seen that it was not a first down. Gotta wonder how they are gonna pay those players if they cant fill the stands.