Hypothetical: Football equivalent of Soccer's shootout?

byau

Reaction score
What would be a fun NFL equivalent to Soccer's penalty shootout? Or basically some "mano y mano" contests after the game is drawn to determine a winner?

((Forgive me for the wacky questions. At work, between some server reboots.... makes a mind wander))

I came up with a few.

1) Field Goal Kicks: start at the 40 and kick field goals, after each make they move back 3 yards. Feel free to throw in a minimal line of five lineman and five rushers to make things interesting (they can be rotated out ..or not)

2) Two-on-two: the running version: offense: ball carrier + one lineman, vs defense: any combo pf two you want: two lineman, two linebackers, one lineman + one dback, etc. Legal field of play is one hashmark (offense choice which side) to the sideline. Start at the 20 yard line

3) Two-on-two:the passing version. One QB, one receiver, one d-back. Shot-clock style, maybe QB has to release within 4 seconds. Same legal field of play.

Yeah, pretty much NEVER going to happen. But harkening back to some backyard football games we used to play.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting ideas. It's prefer something that isn't kicking, fwiw.

marko358

Reaction score
Offensive coordinator vs. the opponent's defensive coordinator in a wrestling match.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If I were going to set up something like a shootout, I think I'd want it to be PAT/2 point conversions. Team's alternate and get 5 tries each. They can line up and try for 2 or they can kick the PAT, and that is up to each team to choose on each play. Most points after 5 tries wins. If it's still tied after 5 then it keeps going in a sudden death fashion.

Not saying I'm for it, I really don't have a problem with the NFL overtime the way it is, but this is how I'd envision an NFL shootout style overtime if they wanted to eliminate any tie possibilities.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ov027iu said:
If I were going to set up something like a shootout, I think I'd want it to be PAT/2 point conversions. Team's alternate and get 5 tries each. They can line up and try for 2 or they can kick the PAT, and that is up to each team to choose on each play. Most points after 5 tries wins. If it's still tied after 5 then it keeps going in a sudden death fashion.

Not saying I'm for it, I really don't have a problem with the NFL overtime the way it is, but this is how I'd envision an NFL shootout style overtime if they wanted to eliminate any tie possibilities.

Interesting take with the 5 tries and take your pick how you want to do it. Nice suspense build especially with the two teams alternating. Can you imagine not alternating? One team does its five, second team then does its five. Team order via coin toss. That would build some interesting suspense.

And the last part, ditto here = I too like the overtime how it is. This is more just one of those hypothetical fun things to think about during a bye week to pass the time.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Can't the college overtime system be described this way?