Manziel Admits Being Short Limits His Ability to Read Def...

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... or-browns/

Johnny, probably against his agents best wishes has admitted that he has to make faith throws by guessing the coverage and that he can't see the coverage like tall (ie normal) qbs can. I just want to hear the reaction to this from people who've defended RW (who is shorter) by saying things like "no QB can see over their 6"7 line, RW isn't at a disadvantaged etc.

Johnny Football":adam8z8m said:
“I am continuing to gain confidence in playing in this system and playing in this offense,” Manziel told reporters. “It takes a lot of time getting used to seeing these coverages, knowing where people are going to be and exploiting that. I am not going to be able to sit there like some of these taller quarterbacks in the league and just be able to see everything happen as it plays in. There are going to be times where I am not going to be able to see something and I am going to have to make a faith throw, knowing that it is Cover 3, and this guy is here and this guy went there with where this person is. As I continue to watch film, continue to play in these games, there are going to be times when I am not going to be able to see everything like everyone else is as clear as day. I think I am getting better at it, but I am nowhere near perfect, that is for sure.”

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":3q4yg8ma said:
Sounds like an excuse for his mediocrity to me. Manziel wishes he was half the QB Wilson is.
Mediocre is being nice. Crazy uncle Jerruh loves him though, so after the season when the Browns cut him, he can join that crapshow/dumpster fire in *allas. 8)

Rex

Reaction score
His brain is short on intelligence which limits his ability to play period.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If he isn't taller than he is, then how exactly does manziel know he'd read it better if he were? Perhaps, he is just not good at moving around in the pocket to increase his ability to see the field clearly. Perhaps he just doesn't put the time in off the field to actually make his ability to read defenses on the field improve. Perhaps, he's just not that good?

Maybe Wilson has to work a little harder or be better at positioning himself in the backfield to see the field because of his height, but then again, all the great qb's are good at finding the throwing lanes and moving around in the pocket to see what they need to see.

ringless

Reaction score
kidhawk":1kake0z6 said:
If he isn't taller than he is, then how exactly does manziel know he'd read it better if he were? Perhaps, he is just not good at moving around in the pocket to increase his ability to see the field clearly. Perhaps he just doesn't put the time in off the field to actually make his ability to read defenses on the field improve. Perhaps, he's just not that good?

Maybe Wilson has to work a little harder or be better at positioning himself in the backfield to see the field because of his height, but then again, all the great qb's are good at finding the throwing lanes and moving around in the pocket to see what they need to see.

Considering he never read a playbook before entering the NFL and just played backyard ball I am sure he never read coverages to the extent he is asked to now. Just one of at least 100 knocks on the guy. He doesnt have the ability to will himself to win the NFL

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Dear NFL football players,

This just in... stop talking. Everything you say will be used against you.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
After watching Wilson in Seattle and now Vernon Adams for the Ducks, there's no doubt in my mind that a lack of height is a burden in the quick passing game. It can be overcome, but it definitely hinders the ability to make quick reads and throws over the middle.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ringless":1tkvvz9a said:
kidhawk":1tkvvz9a said:

Considering he never read a playbook before entering the NFL and just played backyard ball I am sure he never read coverages to the extent he is asked to now. Just one of at least 100 knocks on the guy. He doesnt have the ability to will himself to win the NFL

I agree. I don't believe he has the desire to put in the work. I don't think anyone would say that height isn't an advantage (although being too tall hasn't seen much NFL success at qb either). The fact that Wilson is willing to put in the extra hours of film study and practice is why he's able to play well as a shorter qb. There may be a bit of an advantage to being taller, but a good work ethic can and does make up for it.

NINEster

Reaction score
I guess Warren Moon isn't on the approved commentators list when he said Wilson's height is a problem.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":2ohnm7e7 said:
I guess Warren Moon isn't on the approved commentators list when he said Wilson's height is a problem.

No, he's entitled to his opinion. We don't have a 'list' like Niner fans. Sure we think some are idiots, but that's different. And no, I'm not saying Moon is an idiot.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The only list we have is the number of tallied wins over the 49ers over the last few years.

Smellyman

Reaction score
unless you are 6'8, nobody really 'sees' over all those 9-11 people in front of you which are all very tall too.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think JM is telling it like it is..He can't see over the line to read the defense and that is a common theme with shorter QBs but that can be improvised upon as Brees has proven and RW tries to do.It obviously is not easy to do otherwise all short QBs would be making it in the NFL.On the flipside height isn't all because a lot of taller ones do not make it.Hell didn't we have one of the tallest ever in DM?He didn't do squat even though he should have had the perfect height advantage.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Manziel is an undedicated douche but that is no reason to believe his lack of height is not a hindrance.

Would Wilson be a better QB with an extra 4 inches? Probably

kf3339

Reaction score
JSeahawks":324cv3ek said:
After watching Wilson in Seattle and now Vernon Adams for the Ducks, there's no doubt in my mind that a lack of height is a burden in the quick passing game. It can be overcome, but it definitely hinders the ability to make quick reads and throws over the middle.

Stop. You're bring sound logic into an illogical discussion. Shame on you! :lol:

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Saint and Hawk fans should all point and laugh. Height doesn't matter as long as you can read a defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3qwdkodk said:
Maulbert":3qwdkodk said:
Sounds like an excuse for his mediocrity to me. Manziel wishes he was half the QB Wilson is.
Mediocre is being nice. Crazy uncle Jerruh loves him though, so after the season when the Browns cut him, he can join that crapshow/dumpster fire in *allas. 8)

Pete loved him too. Wouldn't be shocked if he ended up as a backup in Seattle. Though probably after Dallas has taken a turn.

Latest posts