BR's Concussion

HawkGA

Reaction score
***** It involves the Seahawks' game but since it was the last opponent it may need to be moved to the NFL Forum******

According the Peter King the system worked the way it was supposed to work with Ben's concussion. He self-reported and was taken out of the game. Seriously? That's the system working? They guy self-reports after his team goes down two scores? I thought the whole point of the "system" was to take the hands out of the people directly affected.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/30/denv ... j-anderson

What if Ben had successfully led a go-ahead touchdown drive? Would he have self-reported before knowing whether or not the Seahawks re-took the lead?

The NFL really needs to get their rules in order or else you're going to end up with teams playing with different sets of rules. And who knows what might happen in that case . . . you could have a Super Bowl where one team loses its top pass rusher while the other leaves in their top receiver to catch the winning touchdown pass. Not that that would ever really happen, of course!

I'm not going to comment on the rule itself (I assume the idea of trying to minimize brain damage is a good thing [duh], but whether the rules are the best way to do that, I don't know), but if you're going to have rules and protections in place and disinterested 3rd parties charged with enforcing them, then that is what should happen.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":1cii6dmz said:
***** It involves the Seahawks' game but since it was the last opponent it may need to be moved to the NFL Forum******

According the Peter King the system worked the way it was supposed to work with Ben's concussion. He self-reported and was taken out of the game. Seriously? That's the system working? They guy self-reports after his team goes down two scores? I thought the whole point of the "system" was to take the hands out of the people directly affected.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/30/denv ... j-anderson

What if Ben had successfully led a go-ahead touchdown drive? Would he have self-reported before knowing whether or not the Seahawks re-took the lead?

The NFL really needs to get their rules in order or else you're going to end up with teams playing with different sets of rules. And who knows what might happen in that case . . . you could have a Super Bowl where one team loses its top pass rusher while the other leaves in their top receiver to catch the winning touchdown pass. Not that that would ever really happen, of course!

I'm not going to comment on the rule itself (I assume the idea of trying to minimize brain damage is a good thing [duh], but whether the rules are the best way to do that, I don't know), but if you're going to have rules and protections in place and disinterested 3rd parties charged with enforcing them, then that is what should happen.

From the article, the references related to "the system working" are direct quotes by Richard Ellenbogen, who worked the sidelines and was commenting on possible concussions to Shazier along with Roethlesberger. He is the chairman of the University of Washington’s department of neurological surgery and the co-chair of the NFL’s head, neck and spine committee and worked the sidelines of the Steelers.

Shazier wanted to stay in the game and was told to listen to the Doctors by Tomlin.

Hes commenting that the doctors were able to overcome the ego of one player (Shazier) and the self-reporting of another (Roethlesberger).

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Basis4day":3lphtysw said:
Hes commenting that the doctors were able to overcome the ego of one player (Shazier) and the self-reporting of another (Roethlesberger).
As they were leading Shazier to the locker room it was obvious that he didn't know WTF. With Ben I'm just guessing, we should hear more on his radio show tomorrow, but he probably got his bell rung, which happens, but after a few plays it didn't go away so he took himself out. Also it's easy to spot helmet-to-helmet hits but players can get concussed from their head hitting the ground hard too and that's harder to tell.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
If you look at the game again, as I did....he motioned to his head bobbing like it was hitting the ground. If it ended up a concussion, then he did the right thing. If it was only migraines (because of the noisy crowd or not being able to see past that 2 scores needed for a win) I hope he feels better.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2eimvj9c said:
If you look at the game again, as I did....he motioned to his head bobbing like it was hitting the ground. If it ended up a concussion, then he did the right thing. If it was only migraines (because of the noisy crowd or not being able to see past that 2 scores needed for a win) I hope he feels better.
Heh. On his radio show he said they diagnosed it as a "traumatic ocular migraine". In other words a migraine as a result of being hit in the head.

Latest posts