Wildcard vs wildcard Superbowl

Overseasfan

Reaction score
With the way it looks now it could actually happen. The Seahawks could possibly make the Superbowl from the wildcard spot, while both the Steelers and the Chiefs look like the strongest AFC teams at the moment.

When was the last time two wildcard teams faced off in a Superbowl. Must be a rare occurence.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cough Cough, umm Patriots....................................

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1zgq1xnv said:
An Alex Smith-led Chiefs team against the Seahawks in Santa Clara for Super Bowl 50 would be a wet dream for 49er fans. :th2thumbs:

Oh man.. can you imagine? :lol:

That said.. I think the Chiefs are the definition of a pretender. The Patriots and Steelers are the top 2 teams in the conference by a pretty wide margin IMO.

Anyway to answer the OP's question.. there has never been a Super Bowl featuring two wild card teams. Only 10 Wild-Card teams have advanced to a Super Bowl with 6 of them winning the Lombardi Trophy.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The only team I see having a shot at taking out the Pats is the Steelers. Their offense is real good and to beat the Pats you really need to be able to match them TD for TD, especially in Foxboro.

Chiefs have made a comeback because their defense has been outstanding but cannot keep up with either team in a shootout.
Bengals? meh. Aj McCaron
Broncos are sliding fast
Texans/Colts/Jags will lose at home in the WC game

I want the Pats again. Need a SB win over them like the Broncos to shut their pink-hat fans up.

kearly

Reaction score
A wildcard vs. wildcard SB has never happened. The six WC SB winners are the Oakland Raiders in 1980, Denver Broncos in 1997, Baltimore Ravens in 2000, Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005, New York Giants in 2007 and Green Bay Packers in 2010. All six of those teams faced a division winning opponent in their respective Super Bowls.

(It's amazing to think that the 1997 Broncos and 2000 Ravens were wildcard teams).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":izv0zfv9 said:
Anyway to answer the OP's question.. there has never been a Super Bowl featuring two wild card teams. Only 10 Wild-Card teams have advanced to a Super Bowl with 6 of them winning the Lombardi Trophy.
Only 5 WC teams hve "won" a Super Bowl. The other one didn't win but rather had the NFL arrange for them to have more points at the end of the game than their opponent.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ohz9ict said:
hawknation2015":2ohz9ict said:
Only 10 Wild-Card teams have advanced to a Super Bowl with 6 of them winning the Lombardi Trophy.

And of those 6, only 3 did it under the current format.

#5 Giants 2007
#6 Steelers 2005
#6 Packers 2010

The others did it back when less teams made the playoffs... divisional teams couldn't play in the divisional round... etc etc...

Keyhawk

Reaction score
On NFL Radio, Pat Kirwan keeps repeating that no team wants to see the Steelers or Seahawks in the playoffs. Maybe he is on to something regarding the Super Bowl.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2015":hrkcnpjm said:
An Alex Smith-led Chiefs team against the Seahawks in Santa Clara for Super Bowl 50 would be a wet dream for 49er fans. :th2thumbs:

I hadn't even considered this. Could you imagine the troll bait?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mistaowen":94t5d912 said:
The only team I see having a shot at taking out the Pats is the Steelers. Their offense is real good and to beat the Pats you really need to be able to match them TD for TD, especially in Foxboro.

Chiefs have made a comeback because their defense has been outstanding but cannot keep up with either team in a shootout.
Bengals? meh. Aj McCaron
Broncos are sliding fast
Texans/Colts/Jags will lose at home in the WC game

I want the Pats again. Need a SB win over them like the Broncos to shut their pink-hat fans up.
Kansas City can do just fine in a shootout type game, but it's highly unlikely they would be in that position based on the high level their defense plays at.

The thing about Kansas City is that they aren't flashy like New England or Pittsburgh but they're far more balanced and solid overall then either and that can be big trouble for opponents when it's playoff time.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
My gut tells me it will be a Pit vs Sea Super Bowl.

NE might feel the loss of their offensive weapons in the playoffs
Arizona will struggle in the secondary they should hope they don't play the Packers or Seattle again.