How the film "Concussion" Skirts the NFL’s Trademarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scenes are set in the League offices, with the shield logo prominently displayed. Actual game footage is regularly shown. Official team names and logos are visible throughout. The National Football League is notorious for keeping a tight rein on how the organization and the sport are portrayed and perceived by the public. So how did a major motion picture, starring one of the world's biggest movie stars, get away with using the League's trademarks and materials in a film that casts it in the worst-possible light?

"We would know if they were going to make it a problem by now," he explained. "But had they wanted to, we're protected by fair use and the First Amendment, and if they wanted to bring that to the Supreme Court, they're welcome to."

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/concussi ... arks.html#

[youtube]Qk-1TLVUPZk[/youtube]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
. I'll just say this, it makes the NFL looks bad, real bad. This movie and Will Smith will win a lot of awards for it IMO.

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
Honestly, every football fan should boycott this movie. Football will evolve into two hand touch the way this is going. ..

Football players are well compensated to play a sport they all know can be hazardous to their health. That's always been the case. So why should we (the fans) care about this movie? I have no idea.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3qifp8gp said:
'll just say this, it makes the NFL looks bad, real bad. This movie and Will Smith will win a lot of awards for it IMO.

The NFL looks bad, but if every player knew what they know now before they started in the NFL, 99% of them would still play and the 1% that wouldn't didn't really want to play in the first place.

The greedy owners need to dump some money into building hospitals in every NFL city to treat the players after football or fund their healthcare for life. There is PLENTY of money being made.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
rideaducati":crz8x02n said:
Hawk-Lock":crz8x02n said:
. I'll just say this, it makes the NFL looks bad, real bad. This movie and Will Smith will win a lot of awards for it IMO.

The NFL looks bad, but if every player knew what they know now before they started in the NFL, 99% of them would still play and the 1% that wouldn't didn't really want to play in the first place.

The greedy owners need to dump some money into building hospitals in every NFL city to treat the players after football or fund their healthcare for life. There is PLENTY of money being made.

There is no doubt 99%, if not 100% would still play football if they were told about all these head injuries prior to playing. It would just be nice if the NFL acknowledged all this information about head injuries in the first place and put in place the correct programs and treatment to help the players during and after their NFL careers.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19b0zwv5 said:
rideaducati":19b0zwv5 said:
Hawk-Lock":19b0zwv5 said:
I'll just say this, it makes the NFL looks bad, real bad. This movie and Will Smith will win a lot of awards for it IMO.

There is no doubt 99%, if not 100% would still play football if they were told about all these head injuries prior to playing. It would just be nice if the NFL acknowledged all this information about head injuries in the first place and put in place the correct programs and treatment to help the players during and after their NFL careers.

Only ONE reason the owners haven't done anything: GREED.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
rideaducati":2chgvjyz said:
Hawk-Lock":2chgvjyz said:
rideaducati":2chgvjyz said:
Hawk-Lock":2chgvjyz said:

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
rideaducati":j2xo4m74 said:
Hawk-Lock":j2xo4m74 said:
rideaducati":j2xo4m74 said:
Hawk-Lock":j2xo4m74 said:
I'll just say this, it makes the NFL looks bad, real bad. This movie and Will Smith will win a lot of awards for it IMO.

Wow! Really? I guess personal responsibility is dead.

Yeah, Paul Allen's a terrible dude. :sarcasm_off:

chris98251

Reaction score
This team brings injured players along slowly, Pete has said it over and over when asked, Paul Allen is probably the most understanding owner in this, he doesn't need the money, knows the players are the product and that being a caretaker of that product you want it to perform at it's best as long as possible. Pete gets that or initiated it.

I really wish they would increase game day size of the roster and protect the PS as well as increase overall roster by 3 to 5 players. That would really send the safety first message by saying were going to allow roster depth to sit players.

rideaducati

Reaction score
OahuHawkFan":jfmch02i said:
rideaducati":jfmch02i said:
Hawk-Lock":jfmch02i said:
rideaducati":jfmch02i said:

Wow! Really? I guess personal responsibility is dead.

Yeah, Paul Allen's a terrible dude. :sarcasm_off:

Personal responsibility is alive and well, but past players didn't have concussion protocol and would have lost their jobs if they sat out with a headache. Because of this, players that had concussions were playing through them. There were also no medical studies outlining the gravity of concussions. This is a league that used to have coaches that would withold WATER from players during practice. It's time for these owners to do the right thing.

These guys have made millions upon millions off the blood, sweat and tears of players for many years and do nothing for those that helped grow the league. Some of those players lives were short lived and because of their short lives, medical studies have taken place and because of those studies, the present players and future players are going to be at less risk.

Not doing anything DOES make Paul Allen a bad guy. He has made over a BILLION dollars by owning the Seahawks. I guess spending to build a hospital that would make money by itself and that treated retired NFL players for free is too much to ask. Heaven forbid an owner sacrifice less than 10% of his BILLION to do the right thing...instead, these owners have spent at least that much on denying and covering up what they knew all along instead of doing the right thing.

DHawk

Reaction score
I actually can't wait to see this movie. Although, I enjoyed the documentary on this doctor and what he found. You can check it out in Youtube, it's called Frontline: League of Denial.

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
Personal responsibility is alive and well, but past players didn't have concussion protocol and would have lost their jobs if they sat out with a headache. Because of this, players that had concussions were playing through them. There were also no medical studies outlining the gravity of concussions. This is a league that used to have coaches that would withold WATER from players during practice. It's time for these owners to do the right thing.

These guys have made millions upon millions off the blood, sweat and tears of players for many years and do nothing for those that helped grow the league. Some of those players lives were short lived and because of their short lives, medical studies have taken place and because of those studies, the present players and future players are going to be at less risk.

Not doing anything DOES make Paul Allen a bad guy. He has made over a BILLION dollars by owning the Seahawks. I guess spending to build a hospital that would make money by itself and that treated retired NFL players for free is too much to ask. Heaven forbid an owner sacrifice less than 10% of his BILLION to do the right thing...instead, these owners have spent at least that much on denying and covering up what they knew all along instead of doing the right thing.[/quote]

I guess it comes down to how much safety you think you're entitled to in this world. Some people believe that a spilled cup of hot coffee in your lap in a McDonald's drive through entitles you to millions. I would argue it's the price you might pay for convenience, and a cheap cup of coffee. You put yourself in harms way every time you get out of bed in the morning, and the world doesn't always owe you a risk free life.

Football had always been a dangerous sport, and all former football players knew it while playing. This isn't about the NFL owners hiding an obvious fact from players. That has nothing to do with it.

What this is about is an overly litigious society (and ambulance chasing lawyers) telling former players they could sue for damages, and those former players jumping in line to cash in on free stuff at the expense of billianaires?

Anyway, enjoy the movie if that's your thing. It's basically another Erin Brocovich I'm sure.

Yay two hand touch football!

rideaducati

Reaction score
OahuHawkFan":17ehwdka said:
I guess it comes down to how much safety you think you're entitled to in this world. Some people believe that a spilled cup of hot coffee in your lap in a McDonald's drive through entitles you to millions. I would argue it's the price you might pay for convenience, and a cheap cup of coffee. You put yourself in harms way every time you get out of bed in the morning, and the world doesn't always owe you a risk free life.

Football had always been a dangerous sport, and all former football players knew it while playing. This isn't about the NFL owners hiding an obvious fact from players. That has nothing to do with it.

What this is about is an overly litigious society (and ambulance chasing lawyers) telling former players they could sue for damages, and those former players jumping in line to cash in on free stuff at the expense of billianaires?

Anyway, enjoy the movie if that's your thing. It's basically another Erin Brocovich I'm sure.

Yes, all players knew the game was dangerous, but they didn't know about the head injury repercussions, they knew broken bones and blown out knees. They didn't get pulled from the game when they got their bell rung. They had to play through their concussion symptoms or they lost their jobs...even after studies had been shown That there were problems later in life with repeated head injuries.

I know there are former players just jumping on for one last paycheck which is why I suggested building healthcare facilities instead of giving money. Building hospitals and giving free healthcare for life will also reduce the probability of some other lawsuit claiming something later that we don't know about yet. The hospitals would also be money makers for the owners and would pay for themselves. It's just an idea.

This whole thing is about the cover up, otherwise they wouldn't have had a movie made about it or spent so much to squelch all the medical studies.

I'm against most, if not all, entitlements, but that involves government spending. What this is is a private company that has done it's employees wrong and instead of spending to avoid the past and suppress, they could spend to fix the problem and avoid in the future.

This game has grown more than even the most optimistic growth projections could have predicted and now no one wants to share with those that were responsible for helping the sport grow so rapidly.

GREED.

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
rideaducati":2qpcw9tj said:
OahuHawkFan":2qpcw9tj said:

Yes, all players knew the game was dangerous, but they didn't know about the head injury repercussions, they knew broken bones and blown out knees. They didn't get pulled from the game when they got their bell rung. They had to play through their concussion symptoms or they lost their jobs...even after studies had been shown That there were problems later in life with repeated head injuries.

I know there are former players just jumping on for one last paycheck which is why I suggested building healthcare facilities instead of giving money. Building hospitals and giving free healthcare for life will also reduce the probability of some other lawsuit claiming something later that we don't know about yet. The hospitals would also be money makers for the owners and would pay for themselves. It's just an idea.

This whole thing is about the cover up, otherwise they wouldn't have had a movie made about it or spent so much to squelch all the medical studies.

I'm against most, if not all, entitlements, but that involves government spending. What this is is a private company that has done it's employees wrong and instead of spending to avoid the past and suppress, they could spend to fix the problem and avoid in the future.

This game has grown more than even the most optimistic growth projections could have predicted and now no one wants to share with those that were responsible for helping the sport grow so rapidly.

GREED.

I hear you there. We're probably not as far apart as I had thought. I certainly wouldn't argue against more hospitals. Now whether there's enough doctors to support that is another matter entirely. ..

I think some sort of post-career Healthcare plan would probably be a wise demand from the NFL players union. But I'm guessing it would be catered to current rather than former players.

Tell you what, let's fix the VA first. In a country where we have vets with missing limbs and other post combat injuries that are swept under the rug of public concern, you're going to have a really hard time getting me to weep for millionaire former football players.

rideaducati

Reaction score
OahuHawkFan":1st5okrq said:
rideaducati":1st5okrq said:
OahuHawkFan":1st5okrq said:

GREED.

I hear you there. We're probably not as far apart as I had thought. I certainly wouldn't argue against more hospitals. Now whether there's enough doctors to support that is another matter entirely. ..

I think some sort of post-career Healthcare plan would probably be a wise demand from the NFL players union. But I'm guessing it would be catered to current rather than former players.

Tell you what, let's fix the VA first. In a country where we have vets with missing limbs and other post combat injuries that are swept under the rug of public concern, you're going to have a really hard time getting me to weep for millionaire former football players.

That's a great idea... The NFL owners could send funds to the VA and former players could get their healthcare at VA hospitals. Win-win.

Former players didn't make millions in the NFL which is why they are looking for handouts. They DID help get the NFL to where it is today and would like SOMETHING in return.

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
rideaducati":2iydx6lb said:
OahuHawkFan":2iydx6lb said:
rideaducati":2iydx6lb said:
OahuHawkFan":2iydx6lb said:

GREED.

That's a great idea... The NFL owners could send funds to the VA and former players could get their healthcare at VA hospitals. Win-win.

Former players didn't make millions in the NFL which is why they are looking for handouts. They DID help get the NFL to where it is today and would like SOMETHING in return.

Good idea. Great idea actually. The NFL would be taking a very sticky issue, and turning it into not only great publicity, but also a great community service.

chris98251

Reaction score
Show me the Billion dollars he has made owning the Seahawks, he has probably increased it's value a lot but making Money on a Sports franchise on that level is rare.

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":3iypvkh6 said:
Show me the Billion dollars he has made owning the Seahawks, he has probably increased it's value a lot but making Money on a Sports franchise on that level is rare.

Take the salary cap from every year since he bought the team and add it up. The owners make that much too. Add in the money they make on the $15 hot dogs and beers and subtract the electric bill. They make A LOT of money.

Why would someone pay a BILLION dollars for a franchise just to make tens of millions per year? There is a reason the owners won't open their books during collective bargaining. It was reported that the NFL made over $9 BILLION last year. I would think the owners got at least a third of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.