Does Aaron Rodgers have a serious attitude problem ?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Most people on this forum would chose Aaron Rodgers as their #1 QB. Maybe it is just me, but I believe Rodgers career has not impressed me at all, given the talent. Yes, he has been to 1 SB and won it. But, that's about it. Yes his overall numbers are great year after year ... but, 8 years into his starting career, Rodgers has not delivered as expected.

In Cheese land, people have started questioning his attitude, his demeanor, his leadership. The packers will probably be blown out in AZ this week-end and I don't see them winning 2 playoffs games. They might even lose the division to the Vikings.

You can read some interesting comments here.
Q: T-Dub, Prescott AZ - What the heck is up with Rodgers attitude. Is there really that much of a schism between him and McCarthy dating back to the NFCCG that he can't enjoy the win a bit? Aaron is really starting to come off as a diva to me.
A: Michael Cohen - I'm not sure, but something is amiss for sure. I wasn't at his press conference (Aaron speaks at the same time the locker room is open, and since I wrote about defense I stayed in the locker room) but even his body language on the field was poor. He hangs his head, flails his arms, yells when things aren't going right. It's kind of strange.

Q: John F., Denver, CO - Former MVP and Super Bowl champ, $20 million+, shouldn't Rodgers rise above the problems and carry the team instead of what constantly appears to be whining and finger pointing? By the way, nice work, Mike.
A: Michael Cohen - Hey John, thanks for the kind words. I agree with you that Rodgers should be the No. 1 leader on this team. That comes with being the face of a franchise. Not sure if he is finger pointing, exactly, but he's been complaining for a while now. There's no doubt about it.

And here is more in the Packers forum.

I've thought that earlier this season too. I think there's an issue going on that we are not being told about. I think Rodgers threw a tantrum about receivers and Mccarthy probably put him in his place which he didn't probably like. Then his buddy Clements gets the play calling taken away. This team is not a unit and they are not playing like a team, they don't show heart. I get really annoyed seeing Aaron's stupid press conferences now. Even in a win today, he seemed all depressed

I just watched his press conference. Talk about awkward,you could see him biting his lip several times. He acted as if he wanted to say something so bad but didn't. Definitely doesn't look like a happy camper

I think Rodgers is pressing but his attitude is a bigger issue to me. He needs to handle the adversity a little better. Now greats like Brady and Peyton also show their emotion and dont have the best body language but Rodgers has been a little over the top. So has McCarthy to be honest. The way he was working that official after an obvious offensive PI on Jones was ridiculous.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Rodgers and Brady have always struck me as petulant in defeat. But that doesn't mean Aaron Rodgers isn't the best QB in football. He might have the strongest arm in the game, and he's always been more mobile than Manning, Brady, or Brees. I'll also add that he's never had a great defense in Green Bay, and didn't really have a running game until Lacy was drafted.

Threedee

Reaction score
Rodgers should have repeated in 2011. That season was gift-wrapped for him, and it all came unraveled, beginning Week 16 against KC. He would have done enough at that point to truly supplant Favre in GB. Now he's bombed the playoffs too many times, against SC in 2012 and 2013, and against the Hawks last year. He now lacks the supporting cast needed to win if he couldn't get it done in the last four years.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh beat them twice in 2 straight years.
With the emergence of Wilson , Newton, the road to SB is only going to get tougher for GB.
Other teams like Arizona, Minnesota and even the Bucs (Winston) could make life even more difficult for the Packers.
Could Aaron Rodgers see his window closing ... faster than he anticipated? I mean ... wasn't he supposed to dominate for a decade? 1SB appearance in almost 10 years ... is not domination.

Rex

Reaction score
Rodgers still hasn't recovered from playing the Rams.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
QBs outgrow coaches. And when the coach seems like a throttle on the offense to the QB, it sours quickly.

The example that always stands out to me is Elway and Reeves. Elway had grown to the point where he had a better idea what to do based on the D than Reeves, and Reeves would not let go. So Reeves was let go. A more current example is in Denver. He has health problems, but even before they kicked in, Manning looked awful with Kubiak running the show. SB results aside, Manning was quite possibly the best playcaller in the game for two years prior to Kubiak, make no mistake, Manning was the defacto OC in Denver before Kubiak.

My point is, Really good QBs just need the right personnel on the field. After that, they can call the plays. And I think Rodgers knows in his core he has a better grasp of what will work than his coach does. Even Pete said in a presser this year that Wilson is a few years from being able to call everything on the field, but at least he recognizes that a time like that is coming. Reeves never knew that. Kubiak doesn't really think that way either. and they end up being the throttle on the offense because of it.

One of the biggest mistakes McCarthey made was letting Rodgers be the playcaller for a meaningless game vs Detroit a few years back. Rodgers was masterful, he made Flynn look good. Rodgers knows he can manipulate a defense, and his coach is keeping him from doing so. Which is the root of his dissatisfied act in his pressers.

NINEster

Reaction score
Threedee":k1zkmmpx said:
Rodgers should have repeated in 2011. That season was gift-wrapped for him, and it all came unraveled, beginning Week 16 against KC. He would have done enough at that point to truly supplant Favre in GB. Now he's bombed the playoffs too many times, against SC in 2012 and 2013, and against the Hawks last year. He now lacks the supporting cast needed to win if he couldn't get it done in the last four years.

Are you insinuating that the Seattle Seahawks are the only team capable of defeating the Green Bay Packers straight up when Rodgers is playing well?

From my memory, Rodgers put up 31 points against the 49ers in the 2012 playoffs after only managing 20 in the season opener (at home). Just an issue with GB defense allowing 45 that day.

If Rodgers was not being Rodgers, SF would win all of those games by very healthy margins. Those were only games because Rodgers was that good.

Giants kicked his ass too in 2011 playoffs.....I wonder about that being Rodgers not living up to expectation, because that year's Giants defense was good but not SF/SEA good, and yet he made them look like the greatest defense he's ever faced.

Rodgers is a great QB but he is a bit of a ball holder for an "elite". Much easier (relatively speaking) to sack him than Brady.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":qsw6utjr said:
QBs outgrow coaches. And when the coach seems like a throttle on the offense to the QB, it sours quickly.

The example that always stands out to me is Elway and Reeves. Elway had grown to the point where he had a better idea what to do based on the D than Reeves, and Reeves would not let go. So Reeves was let go. A more current example is in Denver. He has health problems, but even before they kicked in, Manning looked awful with Kubiak running the show. SB results aside, Manning was quite possibly the best playcaller in the game for two years prior to Kubiak, make no mistake, Manning was the defacto OC in Denver before Kubiak.

My point is, Really good QBs just need the right personnel on the field. After that, they can call the plays. And I think Rodgers knows in his core he has a better grasp of what will work than his coach does. Even Pete said in a presser this year that Wilson is a few years from being able to call everything on the field, but at least he recognizes that a time like that is coming. Reeves never knew that. Kubiak doesn't really think that way either. and they end up being the throttle on the offense because of it.

One of the biggest mistakes McCarthey made was letting Rodgers be the playcaller for a meaningless game vs Detroit a few years back. Rodgers was masterful, he made Flynn look good. Rodgers knows he can manipulate a defense, and his coach is keeping him from doing so. Which is the root of his dissatisfied act in his pressers.

Good stuff. I totally forgot about Rodgers playing the role of OC in the Flynn game.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Great QB, but not "clutch". He is this generation's version of Peyton Manning. He has just 10 4th quarter comebacks in his career.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Very interesting. Listening to the media, I would think ... Rodgers has never lost a game. Why has Rodgers mostly gotten a pass from the media? I mean ... 1 SB in almost 8 years as a starter ... is not earth shattering. I'm not sure, he is going to win a playoff game this year.
rideaducati":288jhgow said:
Great QB, but not "clutch". He is this generation's version of Peyton Manning. He has just 10 4th quarter comebacks in his career.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of earlier posts on this forum regarding Wilson not being a good QB. I actually agree that Rodgers has a bit of an attitude and that personally he annoys me. I think he's a bit arrogant, I don't appreciate his whiny tirades on the field and I was somewhat offended by his jab at Wilson after the game this year. At the very least I found the comment to be petty and unnecessary.

Rodgers is one of the best QBs to ever grace an NFL field however. The comment about only 1 SB in 8 seasons.. it's hard to win the superbowl! How long did it take the hawks as a franchise, let alone as an individual.

I'm really getting exhausted over this short-term memory type of opinion making. Just appreciate the fact that Rodgers is an amazing QB and you are alive to see him play in real action. His career path thus far is completely first ballot HOF material. Wilson is currently on a similar trajectory and people (wrongfully IMO) have had, or currently hold, a negative opinion of him. It doesn't make it valid, and it actually doesn't mean jack shit regarding what happens on the field.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think he's a clown. He's had a good career so far. He's one of the best. But I don't like him. The Packers could offer me Rodgers and a 1st for Russ and I'd laugh and hang the damn phone up.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with the Packers is the playcalling. I do not think McCarthy is a great playcaller, Packer fans have aired their grievences about him for years. Whenever McCarthy gets a lead he always pulls back. The playcalling becomes very predictable, and conservative. He plays the "not to lose game' rather than the play to win game. I think a good example of this is the NFC championship game against the Greenbay Packers. They had many opportunities to seal the victory, but McCarthy let the Seahawks hang around because he took the foot off of the pedal.

The Packers remind me of the 2007 Seahawks, they have a finesse team that lives, and dies by their Quarterback.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":vcs6q9hw said:
I think the biggest problem with the Packers is the playcalling. I do not think McCarthy is a great playcaller, Packer fans have aired their grievences about him for years. Whenever McCarthy gets a lead he always pulls back. The playcalling becomes very predictable, and conservative. He plays the "not to lose game' rather than the play to win game. I think a good example of this is the NFC championship game against the Greenbay Packers. They had many opportunities to seal the victory, but McCarthy let the Seahawks hang around because he took the foot off of the pedal.

The Packers remind me of the 2007 Seahawks, they have a finesse team that lives, and dies by their Quarterback.

Agree with this, although currently the Seahawks also live and die by their QB. No Russell, no playoffs.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":izit6o8f said:
Spin Doctor":izit6o8f said:

Agree with this, although currently the Seahawks also live and die by their QB. No Russell, no playoffs.

I have it on good authority from elguapo over at webzone that Russell is just a decent game manager, so if he goes down we are still alright.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Bitter":35g07use said:
b8rtm8nn":35g07use said:
Spin Doctor":35g07use said:

I have it on good authority from elguapo over at webzone that Russell is just a decent game manager, so if he goes down we are still alright.

decent? that is giving that guy some cred.... that dude is clueless.