49ers car crash continues

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
So after seemingly being prepared to stand by Jim Tomsula... now the 49ers are going to fire the man they appointed to replace Harbaugh to change the culture in San Fran. He'll be one and done.

The reason?

Because according to reports they're suddenly interested in Chip Kelly. Who was fired this week after pissing everybody off in Philadelphia.

I'm not sure what's better. The idea of watching Chip Kelly and Trent Baalke trying to work together -- or the idea of the 49ers firing Baalke and allowing Kelly the same personnel freedom he enjoyed this year in Philly to create the Eagles car crash.

What a totally rudderless ship. A complete mess.

And before anyone says Kelly will re-ignite Kaepernick -- what happens when teams get savvy to the QB-run and take it away? What happens when Kaepernick is asked to throw the ball 15 seconds after the last play without barely making any reads?

What happens when the defense is on the field for long stretches every week and is exhausted by week 6?

And will Mark Sanchez be ready to step in again as the old reliable backup/starter?

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
So they're firing Tomsula but retaining Baalke.

Bad, bad, move. Tomsula should never have been a Head Coach, but he's an outstanding positional coach.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
That's a good other point.

By promoting Tomsula -- and then firing him after one season -- they've basically ridded themselves of a very decent defensive line coach who'd worked for the team for nearly ten years.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Well you know Chip will use Kap no doubt,I think it will end up like his last Eagle season.The offense will be decent but the D will be tired and sameo crap

kearly

Reaction score
The way they craft offenses is very different, but at the core level I see a lot of similarities between Chip Kelly today and Mike Holmgren circa 2002. A guy who was very successful in previous gigs only to hit a stumbling block, who was disliked by several of his own players. A control freak. Tyrannical. Flawed in many aspects of total coaching. But still a very smart coach especially in regards to the offense and the passing game.

The game has since passed Holmgren by, but I think Chip Kelly is capable of NFL success, if he finds the right situation and the right QB. I think Pete Carroll teams match up well against Chip Kelly teams so I wouldn't worry about Kelly in SF. In fact, it might actually help the Hawks if the 49ers can steal wins from the Cardinals.

That said, I don't think SF is the right team for Kelly. And I tend to think the rumors about 49er interest in Kelly make no sense at all, not after the experience Baalke had with Harbaugh. Baalke's run the ball and play D philosophy is also at odds with Kelly's hyper-finesse identity.

kearly

Reaction score
My guess is SF goes hard after Hue "Huge Action" Jackson. It would be a good hire, too.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I really don't want Chip Kelly in the division. He murdered pete in college

mikeak

Reaction score
Knowing 49ers they will keep Tomaulanwhile trying to hire Chip Kelly. That way they won't put to get rid of Tomsulanif they can't get Chip.

Staying classy you know

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'd welcome Chip to the division. We could use at least one guaranteed soft defense in the NFCW.

Even in college, Chip got stifled by NFCW type teams (i.e. physical, hard running teams). Not a good fit at all.

chris98251

Reaction score
You have to look at which coach is desperate enough to take the job of being micro managed, not paid and wanting to be a scapegoat as well as have a roster that's in disarray.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
And now they win a pointless game against the Rams to hamper their draft position...

Classic Niners!

SF49r

Reaction score
Blame dontae johnson for blocking that field goal

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":gshqw6l9 said:
That's a good other point.

By promoting Tomsula -- and then firing him after one season -- they've basically ridded themselves of a very decent defensive line coach who'd worked for the team for nearly ten years.

Bring Tomsula to Seattle. Would love him as a position coach. Dude was always the puppet for Ruskell.. errrr.. Baalke. As a position coach he's solid.