Browns Hire NEW YORK METS GM to Run Organization

mistaowen

Reaction score
Browns gonna Brown.

Isn't this the dude Jonah Hill played from Money Ball? Won't be shocked when they select a run stuffing DT with the #2 overall pick, sign Blaine Gabbert to a $50 mil contract, let Alex Mack walk, and trade Joe Thomas to the Redskins for Cary Williams.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Are we sure they aren't just becoming a baseball team? The football thing hasn't really worked out.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
But in all fairness. Remember when we got Pete and our VP/Prez got hired away to a NHL team? I don't know if they became succesful or not. I think it was the team from Tampa. Don't follow NHL so i couldnt say much about it.

Jville

Reaction score
Courtesy link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/1/5/10717044/reports-browns-hire-paul-depodesta-as-executive-vp-from-the-mets[/urltargetblank]

Another link here >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617936/article/browns-hire-mets-depodesta-as-chief-strategy-officer[/urltargetblank]

DePodesta010516[urltargetblank]http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25438727/report-mets-vp-paul-depodesta-leaving-for-nfls-cleveland-browns[/urltargetblank]

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Chief Strategy Officer - I actually think this is a brilliant move...it may not work, but it is definitely worth the attempt

Subzero717

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":1ghwi7t0 said:
But in all fairness. Remember when we got Pete and our VP/Prez got hired away to a NHL team? I don't know if they became succesful or not. I think it was the team from Tampa. Don't follow NHL so i couldnt say much about it.

Yes he did. He also wasnt a football guy. He held the same position as Peter Mclaghlon. Just different title. And yes they were. Very young and made Stanley Cup playoffs. He has since left Tampa and is currently the Chief Operating Officer of the NFL. Oranges and potatoes.

kearly

Reaction score
mistaowen":2ryuwrra said:
Isn't this the dude Jonah Hill played from Money Ball?

Giphy facebook s

Yup. They changed his name and appearance in the movie, but Jonah Hill's character is based on DePodesta.

Depodesta was also a finalist for the Mariners GM job in 2009. They ended up hiring Jack Z instead.

McGruff

Reaction score
Todd Leiweicke was a very good executive for this team for a long time, and his background was almost enitrely in the NHL. Marketing guys are marketing guys, and the good ones can market anything. So I don't think this says anything about the Browns other than they hired a marketing guy to re-brand the organization as they (once again) start over from scratch.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
kearly":12xy12l4 said:
mistaowen":12xy12l4 said:
Isn't this the dude Jonah Hill played from Money Ball?

Giphy facebook s

Yup. They changed his name and appearance in the movie, but Jonah Hill's character is based on DePodesta.

Depodesta was also a finalist for the Mariners GM job in 2009. They ended up hiring Jack Z instead.

They should have hired Danny Porush, the guy who Jonah Hill plays in Wolf of Wall Street, instead. (Yeah, it's a loosely based character, but still hilarious).

Vetamur

Reaction score
"We are keeping Manziel. Why?" "He gets on base."

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It probably is wise for an organization that continually makes bad decisions DESPITE their very own data telling them to act differently, to actually follow the data.

Remember that their coach actually wanted Carr but the owner met some homeless guy that convinced him to draft Manziel? (Also, can someone find that homeless guy and give him a sales job targeted at working with C-level execs?)

The issue is that Moneyball approaches don't generally win you the whole thing, but they will make team more effective with less money/ resources over the long term. So, it makes a small market team more effective vs the bigger pockets of another team - but again, we are relying on less failure over time, not more success.

But the Browns are on record as having come to the right conclusion repeatedly, and then for some unknown reason, ignoring it and going a different way. They don't listen to their scouts, they make bad personnel decisions, and the guys they do hire they provide little support to or force them to move in directions that assure failure.

So if this guy can just remove half of the utterly stupid counterproductive moves by the Browns, maybe they won't be such a nightmare. I actually feel bad for their fans.

But given data, analytics and decision-support tools are just that: tools. You still are stuck with tools only being as good as the person using them. At some point, they are going to need to get good football people in there and I cannot fathom good football people will want to even get on the plane to meet these guys.

Because they don't even listen to the good football people they have now.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Glad to see other people see how this can actually be a good move.

The browns have had no success with the kind of football guys that would actually accept a job in Cleveland. With this move they aren't just bringing in a baseball guy, they are bringing in someone who knows how to evaluate numbers.

Ultimately i think his success or failure will be dependent on his ability to adjust to a league with a cap. If he supports expensive, flashy moves he will be a failure. If he prizes draft picks and the coach encourages competition he will probably be better than anyone they've had in a long time.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I personally think analytics have a place in football at specific positions, especially as a supplement to scouting. Which looks like what the Browns are doing, using it as a supplement.

chris98251

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3t493rls said:
I personally think analytics have a place in football at specific positions, especially as a supplement to scouting. Which looks like what the Browns are doing, using it as a supplement.

PED's are not allowed in the NFL.