Hue Jackson heading to the 49ers?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Must be something in it, because the 49ers best reporter Tim Kawakami is reporting it:

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 32m32 minutes ago
NFL source: Hue Jackson is the clear front-runner for the 49ers job, pending his interview on Sunday.

This would be a terrific appointment IMO. Far better than Chip Kelly or whoever is running the Browns offense or standing next to Rex Ryan in Buffalo.

Of course, certain 49ers fans who frequent this forum won't believe this news because Tim, despite his obvious brilliance, isn't on the approved reporters list.

rlkats

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":x0w7pvp2 said:
Must be something in it, because the 49ers best reporter Tim Kawakami is reporting it:

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 32m32 minutes ago
NFL source: Hue Jackson is the clear front-runner for the 49ers job, pending his interview on Sunday.

This would be a terrific appointment IMO. Far better than Chip Kelly or whoever is running the Browns offense or standing next to Rex Ryan in Buffalo.

Of course, certain 49ers fans who frequent this forum won't believe this news because Tim, despite his obvious brilliance, isn't on the approved reporters list.

English this is the only logical choice in my mind. I must agree with you and Tim. Tim has in my book been harsh but correct in his articles.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Being the front-runner in York and Baalke's eyes is a little different than him actually wanting it, isn't it? I imagine Hue Jackson actually will have some other options.

This hire wouldn't worry me until the team actually has a quarterback. Best case scenario (for them), they'll be a Washington Redskins type team. But they still need to find the right QB for even that to happen.

Also, leave it to Jed to make up his mind before he's even spoken to the guy. Isn't that what happened with Tomsula last year? Picked him before they process was over?

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xa6vmfdh said:
Being the front-runner in York and Baalke's eyes is a little different than him actually wanting it, isn't it? I imagine Hue Jackson actually will have some other options.

This hire wouldn't worry me until the team actually has a quarterback. Best case scenario (for them), they'll be a Washington Redskins type team. But they still need to find the right QB for even that to happen.

Quite right, but Hue's biggest champion (Mike Silver) seems to think it could definitely happen.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I like Hue Jackson. He has the potential to grow into a good HC over time, but it's not going to happen over night. I would compare him to the man he currently works for, Marvin Lewis. Does Jed York have the patience to go through five or six years of .500 records before Jackson develops a core philosophy that will allow him to take a team over the top? I really doubt it. York has proven to be one of the most egotistical and least patient owners in all of sports.

For Jackson, it would be a good opportunity to cut his teeth as a HC. And when he's eventually fired, everyone will blame the most dysfunctional team in the NFL, and then Jackson will go on to do good things elsewhere with that experience under his belt. At least that is how I see it eventually playing out.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hue Jackson is from California. It'd be stunning if he didn't want this job.

He's the best option for them right now. Someone who can either train and develop a new QB or make one of the incumbents relatively competitive again. A guy who will create a tough team. And while the Niners won't be anything like a contender in the NFC West without at least a couple of good draft classes to re-stock -- at least he would bring a degree of respectability to the franchise.

But again... Marvin won't be having any of this. Tim is persona non grata.

Marvin49

Reaction score
For the record....

My choices on HC were 1a: Sean Payton and 1b: Hue Jackson.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":kiwisl06 said:
Who wouldn't want to work for York?

Well, Mike Silver has been saying for awhile that the 49ers job is far more attractive than is publically percieved...

...but he is admittedly a bit of a homer. He loves the Bay Area and is a Cal grad. He's also been banging the Hue Jackson drum for some time.

I asked him today (via Twitter) if I was dreamin' in wanting Jackson to sign in SF and his one word answer was "no".

We'll see.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm sure he has an affinity for California, but he would be a fool to think the vacancies in New York, Philly, Miami, Tennessee (?) and Tampa aren't more enticing.

Being HC of NYC's biggest NFL team speaks for itself, but he also gets OBJ, Eli, and a highly respected and patient owner. Philly -- another great owner -- also has some nice pieces and Bradford is a workable stop-gap in the right offense. The rest of the openings have really promising QB situations.

Plus, the assumption is that each of these teams is probably willing to pay a lot more than York for an entire coaching staff.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Bet Marvin would be really excited right now if he was willing to acknowledge a good journalist doing fine work.

Three cheers for Tim and his major scoop.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12hypvhv said:
I'm sure he has an affinity for California, but he would be a fool to think the vacancies in New York, Philly, Miami, Tennessee (?) and Tampa aren't more enticing.

Being HC of NYC's biggest NFL team speaks for itself, but he also gets OBJ, Eli, and a highly respected and patient owner. Philly -- another great owner -- also has some nice pieces and Bradford is a workable stop-gap in the right offense. The rest of the openings have really promising QB situations.

Plus, the assumption is that each of these teams is probably willing to pay a lot more than York for an entire coaching staff.

Jackson has only attracted attention from SF, Miami, and Cleveland, and Miami cancelled their interview with him because they're all in on Gase. That he'd prefer SF over Cleveland isn't that hard to wrap your head around.

As for the 9ers and who they've flown out, Jackson is self evident more than a scoop. Two of the four are for coordinator positions under the guise of a HC search to take some temperatures (one for each of the two real candidates), and Kelly is damn near toxic these days. They've also already interviewed Kelly and not moved on it.

This is more math than scoop.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
This would be an excellent hire for the Niners. Without looking it up....wasn't he with the Raiders when Al was still alive? If so, he's seen dysfunction up close and may not want anymore of it. OTOH, maybe the lure of going home to California would be stronger.

rlkats

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":y15bi481 said:
This would be an excellent hire for the Niners.

I think it would be also.

Buuuuuut its the niners so here comes Chip Kelly.

drdiags

Reaction score
Hue was the coach when Al Davis died. He pulled the trigger on the Palmer deal as the de-facto GM that eventually got him fired. He was doing good work with the Raiders after taking over for Cable. They were responding to his leadership but there was a power void when Mark started to cut his teeth as the new owner.

I like Hue. I think he has a good offensive mind and he should do good in the Bay area. I know Silver hated Cable but loved Hue.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Damn it this can't happen.. he's actually a great coach.

Hire Chip, York!

kearly

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if it happened.

Arizona's defense doesn't show up as much against top offenses. Seattle's defense, barring a weird string of 4th quarter meltdowns, generally shows up against good offenses. So my gut feel is that if Jackson successfully built a top 10 offense in SF, it would probably give Arians more headaches than Pete.