Chip Kelly's mataphor -- random non-sequitar or coded jab?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
This year, there was no grunting from new 49ers coach Chip Kelly when he sat down with CSN Bay Area, but his first answer contained a colorful phrase.

“When you fall out of a boat, sometimes you land in crap and sometimes you land in San Francisco,” Kelly said.

He also said, “For me, it was the best opportunity out there.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... aboration/

Taken at face value, Kelly is making a rather strange analogy by comparing losing a head coaching job to falling out of a boat. However, Kelly is known to be extremely careful with his words. Would one of his first lines as the new 49ers HC really be a random boat metaphor that makes zero intuitive sense? Hmmm . . . so San Francisco does NOT equal crap. Good to know, Chip.

There has got to be something else afoot here that can't be taken at face value. Oh! How again did Jim Harbaugh say he first became enticed by the Michigan job? On a boat, of course.

1) The Michigan fight song may as well be a homing beacon for Harbaugh. In July 2014, Harbaugh and his wife shared a boat ride with the author and a few other Michigan folk on the night before Garrett Celek's wedding in Michigan. The boat's captain played the Michigan fight song at a loud volume to compete with a boat of Michigan State fans doing the same. Harbaugh joined in, singing loudly and fist pumping and reportedly said, "This stuff just doesn't happen in the NFL!" Bacon reveals the details of a conversation from later that night when Harbaugh admitted, with his wife confirming later, his desire to raise children in a college town.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... m-harbaugh

I know it's a stretch, but Harbaugh was known to use a lot of coded language in his twitter account when he was recruiting players to Stanford, and maybe Chip didn't like that so much. I just find it hard to believe that such a calculated human being would toss out such a random line without a purpose. Is he trying to appear folksy to appeal to the disillusioned faithful? Is this a really roundabout way to bring attention to the fact that Harbaugh said he was thinking about returning to Michigan BEFORE he was fired? If so, his Jedi mind trick worked. Good going, Vader.

Darth20chip

Also could be a jab at Cleveland, which reportedly rebuffed his request for an interview. Everyone agrees that Cleveland is crap.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Not to over simplify but, maybe Santa Clara is the crap?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
"When you attempt to renovate a boat and sink it in the process, sometimes you end up on the same life-raft as Jed York and Trent Baalke."

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sigh...Philly fans on the internet all bent outta shape because Kelly "Called the Eagles crap".

Wow.

Yo. Morons. Philly was the BOAT in that little analogy.

Sigh.

Laloosh

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":379yvnqr said:
The guys is obviously really smart. But he's probably an Ass Burger.

Your avatar makes me laugh every time I see it. If ever there was Niner fan avatar poking fun at Wilson that I could appreciate, that is it.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Marvin49":g9de03li said:
Sigh...Philly fans on the internet all bent outta shape because Kelly "Called the Eagles crap".

Wow.

Yo. Morons. Philly was the BOAT in that little analogy.

Sigh.

You sure sigh a lot... might want to get that checked out.

Regarding Kelly's comment, he says this kind of random crap often. I don't think it means much, nor that he puts too much thought into it.