Questions from a Jag fan

Gusbusser

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just had a few questions for you. Hope this is the right place to post this.

So Todd Wash was named our new defensive coordinator. Do you guys know much about him and what to expect?

Also, this defensive scheme seems really basic and almost mediocre to me, personally. It seems like since Gus implemented this scheme we're just sitting in simple zone coverage just waiting for a QB to pick apart the soft zone? Is this how it is? Or is the scheme figured out? Are we just late to the party?

Thanks guys.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Welcome to .Net.

As for scheme, what Pete likes to run is pretty basic, We have a lot of man and zone concepts and we will run both. It's not uncommon to see man outside with bump and run mixed with zone in the middle.

The biggest thing about our defense (and now yours) is that it is very personnel dependent. If you have the right guys that fit the scheme, it's deadly. If not, it has some holes. We found that out this year.

First off, you'll need pass rush. The QB can't have time, or like you said, he'll pick apart your zones. Pete actually built our defense from the secondary forward, but that's because he found the right personnel for the back end first. The last few years, we've been working on our pass rush and it shows. I don't know a ton about the Jags, but I do remember Bradley going Defensive Line a couple of times in the 1st round.

You also need some lanky CB's that have length and athleticism and that can survive on an island outside for a short time. I'm not sure you have those yet, but it's important. They don't have to be lock down like a Revis or Sherman, but they do have to be able to buy you a good 4 seconds of route disruption so your pass rush can get home. It goes without saying that good safeties are important for any scheme in today's NFL.

Depending on how good your GM is, and how good of talent evaluation you guys have, Bradley will get it done. You guys are looking up as a franchise. You have a few things going for you: a weak division, and a good young QB and good skill position players. This is a big plus for you guys, as Bradley was mostly known as a defensive coach and many times those guys struggle with the offensive side. You guys have an offense in place.

Fade

Reaction score
Yup, Gus plays soft zone cover 3. It sucks. A big reason why the Seahawks won the Superbowl, was JAX taking Gus Bradley off of our hands. Dan Quinn in contrast played more press man free, and press bail cover 3.

Gus Bradley is just good enough you feel like it isn't his fault, while being just bad enough you will never get over the hump with him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Fade":280y83yh said:
Yup, Gus plays soft zone cover 3. It sucks. A big reason why the Seahawks won the Superbowl, was JAX taking Gus Bradley off of our hands. Dan Quinn in contrast played more press man free, and press bail cover 3.

Gus Bradley is just good enough you feel like it isn't his fault, while being just bad enough you will never get over the hump with him.

You honestly think it's Bradley's scheme ?

There's no way he has the personnel to do what he needs yet in JAX. That team had no talent before he started to build on. Look at what happened to us when we lost Chancellor to part of a season, and were forced to start Williams at one CB spot.

OP
OP
Gusbusser

Gusbusser

Reaction score
Hawks46":xuls5dyb said:
Fade":xuls5dyb said:

There's no way he has the personnel to do what he needs yet in JAX. That team had no talent before he started to build on. Look at what happened to us when we lost Chancellor to part of a season, and were forced to start Williams at one CB spot.

This is pretty much why Gus just got a year extension. When our GM called the first season a throw-away since he and Bradley got here they both tore down everything. There are like 3 players still on our roster before they got here and one is the punter we took in the 3rd round.

Gus/Dave had to rebuild it all. They seem to have focused on offense first with Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marqise Lee, Julius Thomas, Yeldon, etc, etc.

I expect this next FA period and draft to be defense heavy. We got some playmakers on D like Telvin Smith, Sen'derrick Marks, Jared Odrick and we'll get Dante Fowler Jr. back too which is good. We have like 2nd most cap space in the NFL too so Caldwell said he plans to be aggressive.

I feel like the lack of a FS is important in this scheme. Maybe they're looking at Ramsey in the draft. I don't know.

sutz

Reaction score
Gusbusser":1u36rh06 said:
This is pretty much why Gus just got a year extension. When our GM called the first season a throw-away since he and Bradley got here they both tore down everything. There are like 3 players still on our roster before they got here and one is the punter we took in the 3rd round.

Gus/Dave had to rebuild it all. They seem to have focused on offense first with Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marqise Lee, Julius Thomas, Yeldon, etc, etc.

I expect this next FA period and draft to be defense heavy. We got some playmakers on D like Telvin Smith, Sen'derrick Marks, Jared Odrick and we'll get Dante Fowler Jr. back too which is good. We have like 2nd most cap space in the NFL too so Caldwell said he plans to be aggressive.

I feel like the lack of a FS is important in this scheme. Maybe they're looking at Ramsey in the draft. I don't know.
Yes, FS is pretty important. You really need a guy that can go from sideline to sideline, and it helps if he is a ball hawk and a thumper. We hit the jackpot with Earl Thomas, but he hasn't been right the past couple of years and it has showed from SB48 til now. I'm hoping the extra couple of weeks off will help him out.

I good SS is pretty important, too. When Chancellor held out, it set the tone for the whole year for us. He was never quite the player we were used to in past seasons, either, so both of our safety positions were basically not as strong as before. The record shows it.

We tend to play Kam (SS) up in run support and Earl (FS) back in a single high safety look, with the CBs starting close to the line and dropping into Cover 3. Both have decent to good ball skills, though.

Best of luck to the Jags moving forward.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure about Todd Wash. Before he came here I thought he was with Tampa so I would expect him to have a blend of the Tampa defense and what he worked with under Bradley in Seattle and Jacksonville.

I hope Bradley can turn it around, he seems to believe in his methods but he has been churning coaches the past few years. It's go time for him or there will be a new HC after or during next season.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Hawks46":245judic said:
Fade":245judic said:

There is a clear difference between the "flavor" of cover 3 Bradley oversaw, and the version that Quinn implemented - just was we see differences between what Richard did this year. When players were asked about coach differences during Quinn's first year as DC, a few - Sherman in particular - mentioned that Quinn was more aggressive, and played more press. It was not just obvious to the fans, but the players seemed to validate what we were seeing on the field

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I like him as a coach, but hated his scheme and playcalling most of the time,I thought he was too passive and not aggressive enough.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
We was happy that you guys took him off our hands.."Thank You"

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawks46":ierjx6pd said:
Fade":ierjx6pd said:

Well, he did have the personnel in Seattle. And still was all soft zones.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bradley seems to want everything in front of you and dare the offense to make a play, Quinn seemed to want to challenge the offense and disrupt and create more chaos and turnovers.

Bradley bend but not break, Quinn dictate physicality and force hurries and turnovers to get ball back.

Latest posts