Broncos and Panthers

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok if the game was just about teams I think the Panthers take this easy, but this game isn't just that, it's the distractions, the interviews, the hype.

I think the Broncos handle this as business as usual, they know what the deal is and Peyton is going to be a intolerable ass keeping them on edge and not reading headlines this time.

Panthers are about all the wrong things I think, the media circus can eat them up, distract and get into their heads.

The Panthers are about getting out of the gate and making you play catch up, if that doesn't happen then Newton struggles and his immaturity as a player causes problems and he will implode and try to do to much.

Peyton can weather a storm if it doesn't become a hurricane like against us, it will be containment and damage control and hoping the Broncos can take advantage of the environment to get a early turnover and a lead to play with.

If the Broncos can get a jump on the Panthers and make them play from behind I think that the Denver defense will feast on judgement errors with Newton trying to do to much and go for a big play.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Doubt it. Peyton comes in playing tight. He knows his legacy is on the line and it's almost certainly his last shot.

Panties come in loose and lively.

They are probably going to roll.

Hmmm. Just noticed the autocorrect error in line two. Think I'll leave it.

-bsd

CPHawk

Reaction score
Manning has played a very little part in the Broncos getting to the Owl this year. It's his D that will win or lose this game, all he has to do is be a game manager. If they can keep it a low scoring game, they have a shot, a a high scoring game and they will be beat down.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Denver is probably going to get blown out, I don't think they can do much offensively against the Panthers.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Panthers in a blowout.

This Panthers team is very similar to the 2013 Seahawks - dominant defense, young athletic qb that makes a lot of plays and not a lot of mistakes, run/pass balance, dangerous returner (Golden/Ginn).

That Seahawks team crushed a Denver team that is now older and not as impressive as they were then.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The line is Panthers -4. That's a fairly big spread for the SB. If memory serves me right, we were +2.5 vs the Broncos and a slight underdog to the Patriots.

drdiags

Reaction score
Broncos D is better, though never understood why Elway blamed them for the blow-out that was XLVIII. They can stop the run and have a good secondary if Ward isn't hurt too bad. Harris has a shoulder issue but has a couple of weeks to see if he can recover. It is the Broncos O that is the problem. Andersen is not going to be able to run much on the Panthers and the passing game with Manning just isn't sharp.

The only way I see this game being competitive is if Phillips can figure out a way to neutralize Olsen for awhile, like he did with Gronk first half.

Smart money is on the Panthers. Maybe a miracle happens for Manning as he exits on one last hurrah? Doubt it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Donks D needs to pressure Cammy early and often and force him into mistakes. The Denver D is going to have to score in order for them to win and they absoutely cannot turn the ball over on offense. Miller and Ware need to hit Cammy hard and often.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Broncos won't win in a shoot out, nor do I think they are built to come from behind. The defense will need to keep it close to make it a game. I thought they did pretty good today stifling the Patriots and covered Gronk pretty well.

My uneducated opinion.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I wouldn't count the Broncos out. We beat the Panthers 4 times by controlling Cam. The Broncos can definitely give him fits.

I actually see this game much more analogous to our 2012 and 2013 games with the Panthers than with our Broncos Super Bowl. When we faced the Broncos in the Super Bowl - they never really were in a tough game all and never really played from behind. Once we got up - they never recovered. This Broncos team has only played in close games. They don't need Manning to be Manning so although I think Carolina will win - I definitely don't think it will be a blowout.

Polaris

Reaction score
I really, really don't like Carolina so I am rooting hard for Denver. That said, I fully expect Carolina to win.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The one thing that Denver can do that neither the Hawks nor the Cards could do is generate pressure on Newton.

They are still going to fall prey to the kind of balanced attack that they haven't faced since 48.

They are going to have to pick their poison, attack up the middle and watch Cam run on them or maintain pocket discipline and watch cam pick them apart.

Denver's only hope is to keep the game low scoring, otherwise their offense is going to get slaughtered like 48.

-bsd

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
chris98251":1vygwzsa said:
Ok if the game was just about teams I think the Panthers take this easy, but this game isn't just that, it's the distractions, the interviews, the hype.

I think the Broncos handle this as business as usual, they know what the deal is and Peyton is going to be a intolerable ass keeping them on edge and not reading headlines this time.

Panthers are about all the wrong things I think, the media circus can eat them up, distract and get into their heads.

The Panthers are about getting out of the gate and making you play catch up, if that doesn't happen then Newton struggles and his immaturity as a player causes problems and he will implode and try to do to much.

Peyton can weather a storm if it doesn't become a hurricane like against us, it will be containment and damage control and hoping the Broncos can take advantage of the environment to get a early turnover and a lead to play with.

If the Broncos can get a jump on the Panthers and make them play from behind I think that the Denver defense will feast on judgement errors with Newton trying to do to much and go for a big play.

I think Cam is going to be super distracted with how much everything is all about him. It will be interesting to see how much it effects him. Russ actually went to the superbowl his rookie year to scout it out and be prepared for the next year when we won it. Seperation is in the preperation :D

Im shocked everybody thinks Carolina is going to blow them out. This Denver D is no joke. Did you see how much they dismantled the Patriots. That was probably the most I have ever seen Brady hit and they run a quick spread offense alot, its not like he was doing a bunch of long drops. The score was much closer than the game should of been.

I think we might see some of this in the superbowl. Cam needs to be on and that Oline better watch out
supervon.gif

Denver for the season had the #1 passing defense, #3 rushing defense and if it werent for their offense turning the ball over 31 times (3rd worst in the league) they probably would of been the #1 scoring D too. As is they were number 4 I believe.

The matchup to watch for is the Denver O vs Panther D. I think Manning looked pretty good yesterday and was just off by an inch here or there otherwise he would of had 4-5 TDs.

I think Arizona would of been a huge force if Palmer and Honey Badger :lol: werent both injured towards the end of the year. tyrann mathieu was playing out of his mind at a all pro level and with him they could do so many things on defense. Palmer clearly wasnt the same after he got injured. I think they mentioned during the game he was like 6TD 7INT or something since he injured himself.

kearly

Reaction score
Carolina is a significantly better team overall but what's interesting is that Denver actually wins the matchups despite having more holes on their roster. Carolina's few weakness play into Denver's strengths and vice-versa.

I think Cam is going to struggle very, very badly. He is a different QB when pressured, and his pass catchers will likely be dominated by Denver's secondary. Denver's defense isn't just good, it's 2013 Seattle good. And we all remember what Cam did against that defense: Jack squat. With all due respect to the 2015 Hawks D, their soft zones were never going to throw a QB like Newton off his game. And Arizona's defense was over-rated all season long. Denver's defense is a different breed, they will give Newton problems.

Denver's run D is also elite which means that Jonathan Stewart is unlikely to be a factor.

The key for Denver is drawing up a smart game plan that uses huge mismatches to their favor, basically targeting whoever among Thomas or Sanders that isn't being covered by Norman and trying to avoid turnovers. Carolina will probably need cheap points to win this game. So being mistake free will be huge for Denver.

Carolina's best hope is to force Manning into mistakes like they did for Wilson and Palmer. Which is certainly possible if Manning is not careful. But it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario where Manning plays well and loses. Carolina has to make Manning a liability to win. They have to. We've seen Manning have some terrible games in 2015 so building a gameplan around preventing mistakes is key for Denver.

Ultimately I think this game will be decided by mistakes. And I think Cam will be in a tougher position to avoid mistakes than Manning will. And history shows that top defenses typically beat top offenses in the postseason. So I lean a bit towards Denver as an 'upset' pick.

kearly

Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, I honestly felt that Denver had the more impressive win last weekend.

ctrcat

Reaction score
kearly":2zrfap9i said:
I think Cam is going to struggle very, very badly. He is a different QB when pressured, and his pass catchers will likely be dominated by Denver's secondary. Denver's defense isn't just good, it's 2013 Seattle good. And we all remember what Cam did against that defense: Jack squat. With all due respect to the 2015 Hawks D, their soft zones were never going to throw a QB like Newton off his game. And Arizona's defense was over-rated all season long. Denver's defense is a different breed, they will give Newton problems.

Denver's run D is also elite which means that Jonathan Stewart is unlikely to be a factor.

The 2013 Hawks/Panthers game was unique in that each team had 3-4 less possessions than an average team does in an NFL game. Cam played a safe but IMO efficient game on that day-he only had one possession after Kearse's game winner over Josh Thomas, and the Panthers drove down the field effortlessly until Williams' fumble on that possession. The normally reliable Olsen also had multiple uncharacteristic drops. Bill Parcells said he would not even advise taking a QB unless they were a senior and graduated-which Cam did last offseason. Cam's growth since the 2013 opener is off the charts.

The Broncos run D only faced two top 10 rushing teams this season-KC x 2, and Minnesota-KC rushed for 144 and 116 and Minnesota rushed for 144.

The above doesn't alone say it will be a blowout, just fwiw.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":37horq6m said:
Carolina is a significantly better team overall but what's interesting is that Denver actually wins the matchups despite having more holes on their roster. Carolina's few weakness play into Denver's strengths and vice-versa.

The key for Denver is drawing up a smart game plan that uses huge mismatches to their favor, basically targeting whoever among Thomas or Sanders that isn't being covered by Norman and trying to avoid turnovers. Carolina will probably need cheap points to win this game. So being mistake free will be huge for Denver.

Carolina's best hope is to force Manning into mistakes like they did for Wilson and Palmer. Which is certainly possible if Manning is not careful. But it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario where Manning plays well and loses. Carolina has to make Manning a liability to win. They have to. We've seen Manning have some terrible games in 2015 so building a gameplan around preventing mistakes is key for Denver.

Ultimately I think this game will be decided by mistakes. And I think Cam will be in a tougher position to avoid mistakes than Manning will. And history shows that top defenses typically beat top offenses in the postseason. So I lean a bit towards Denver as an 'upset' pick.
There you have it- Defense wins Championships!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Donkospurt? I wonder if he is frequenting prancer boards these days.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
That funny clown is likely trolling Panther boards