Las Vegas Raiders???

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Las Vegas Raiders???
Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:39 pm
  • Hmmm. Seems doubtful to me. The NFL gets enough heat about its games being 'fixed' and questions about validity. How would that go over with a team in the heartland of gambling in the country?
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:58 pm
  • Gambling is legal in most cities now. Vegas is the most regulated city in the country when it comes to gambling.
    synergize
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:02 am
  • synergize wrote:Gambling is legal in most cities now. Vegas is the most regulated city in the country when it comes to gambling.

It's not gambling in general the NFL says it has a problem with, it's sports gambling. Which is incredibly hypocritical of them when they have partnerships with the DFS gambling services and are constantly touting London, which not only has legalized sports gambling but has sports books in the stadiums. I'd love to see Davis & Adelson try to push this through if only to see the inevitable legal battle that further exposes the avarice of the NFL.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:30 am
  • I gotta admit, Las Vegas Raiders has a ring to it. Seems like a perfect fit. Decadence, Debauchery and Sin. :)

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:35 am
  • Aros wrote:I gotta admit, Las Vegas Raiders has a ring to it. Seems like a perfect fit. Decadence, Debauchery and Sin. :)

agreed...better ring than San Antonio.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:55 am
  • The NFL cant go to Vegas.
    Subzero717
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:12 am
  • Interesting idea when it comes to fan attendance. How many people are in the Vegas area? How many are transplanted from other cities w/ an NFL team where they remain loyal fans? How many visiting teams would have fans in town to gamble and would attend to accent their Vegas trip?
    I'm thinking there wouldn't be a big HFA for any team that moves there. But that's just my thinking after just waking up and not even being thru my first cup of coffee. Could very easily be wrong.
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:47 pm
  • samwize77 wrote:Interesting idea when it comes to fan attendance. How many people are in the Vegas area? How many are transplanted from other cities w/ an NFL team where they remain loyal fans? How many visiting teams would have fans in town to gamble and would attend to accent their Vegas trip?
    I'm thinking there wouldn't be a big HFA for any team that moves there. But that's just my thinking after just waking up and not even being thru my first cup of coffee. Could very easily be wrong.

Considering that the Raiders claim to have a tremendous fan base the L.A. area and L.A. to Vegas is a shorter trip than L.A. to Oakland then they could conceivably have a decent HFA.

SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    synergize wrote:Gambling is legal in most cities now. Vegas is the most regulated city in the country when it comes to gambling.

It's not gambling in general the NFL says it has a problem with, it's sports gambling. Which is incredibly hypocritical of them when they have partnerships with the DFS gambling services and are constantly touting London, which not only has legalized sports gambling but has sports books in the stadiums. I'd love to see Davis & Adelson try to push this through if only to see the inevitable legal battle that further exposes the avarice of the NFL.

At the London games, all the betting outlets in the stadium are closed.

There is nothing to stop anyone going into a betting shop in Wembley High Street before the game and having a bet on it.
    ronnieboycefanclub
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:49 pm
  • I would support this move.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm
  • Seems to perfect not to happen. Which means it probably won't happen.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:34 am
  • Not. Gonna. Happen.

The NFL will NEVER have a team in Las Vegas. Too many things that could go wrong.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:31 pm
  • Won't happen. Vegas is just being used for leverage.
    Personally it would be another excuse to go to Vegas when the Hawks played the raiders. 8)
    Plus their homefield advantage would be even worse then the Cowboy's currently have.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:24 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Won't happen. Vegas is just being used for leverage.
    Personally it would be another excuse to go to Vegas when the Hawks played the raiders. 8)
    Plus their homefield advantage would be even worse then the Cowboy's currently have.

I agree about your thoughts regarding the home field advantage. Half the stadium would be from out of town.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:01 am

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:20 am
  • So now Mark Davis is saying that if Las Vegas approves funding for a stadium he will commit to relocating the Raiders there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -approved/

SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:23 am

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:11 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:So now Mark Davis is saying that if Las Vegas approves funding for a stadium he will commit to relocating the Raiders there.

Dang, that guy's haircut is the stuff of legend.
    SeaChase wrote:One thing I noticed,well in my opinion,is that Wilson isnt a good passer.
    KillerB
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:47 am
  • KillerB wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:So now Mark Davis is saying that if Las Vegas approves funding for a stadium he will commit to relocating the Raiders there.

All anybody needs to replicate it is a pair of scissors and a cereal bowl :)
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:55 am
  • soohawk wrote:
    KillerB wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:So now Mark Davis is saying that if Las Vegas approves funding for a stadium he will commit to relocating the Raiders there.

All anybody needs to replicate it is a pair of scissors and a cereal bowl :)

From interviews, he seems like a decent fellow. When you get those looks from Daddy than you might as well roll with the bowl cut--why not?
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:00 am

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:40 pm
  • I really want this to happen.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:20 pm
  • He's doing it for the Las Vegas barber shops. Evidently they don't have those in Oakland.

"The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:26 pm
  • My Dad lives there. I would love another game to go to every four years or whatever it is!
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:48 pm
  • That haircut.

Damn. :mrgreen:

Third time is a charm...
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun May 08, 2016 7:41 pm
  • Vagabond Raiders
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    Winner of 2013 and 2015 .net annual draft contests
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Mon May 09, 2016 5:27 am
  • He's doing it IMO because the NFL essentially iced out the Raiders in the Rams/Chargers/Raiders Los Angeles derby.

He doesn't have much juice among the other NFL owners, and might also still be being punished for the sins of his father.

Despite the haircut jokes, going public about Vegas and working a deal out there is really a savvy move by him:

He knows the NFL doesn't want a team there so if he can work everything out there financially he forces the NFL's hand in ponying up more money and letting him go back to Los Angeles.

I don't know if it's him or his advisers, but looks aside, he's playing chess right now, and playing it well.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon May 09, 2016 6:03 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:He's doing it IMO because the NFL essentially iced out the Raiders in the Rams/Chargers/Raiders Los Angeles derby.

He doesn't have much juice among the other NFL owners, and might also still be being punished for the sins of his father.

Despite the haircut jokes, going public about Vegas and working a deal out there is really a savvy move by him:

He knows the NFL doesn't want a team there so if he can work everything out there financially he forces the NFL's hand in ponying up more money and letting him go back to Los Angeles.

I don't know if it's him or his advisers, but looks aside, he's playing chess right now, and playing it well.

Indeed and great post Marv.

The NFL's need to continually shit on the Raiders franchise serves as a window into the (Tom) petty and "good old boy" nature of the owners' clubhouse. Bob McNair, a recent addition to the club, referenced Al Davis's lawsuit against the league just this past summer. McNair nor his franchise even existed when Al sued the league!

The owners still hold a grudge against the Davis family and that grudge is more important than anything else. Its that simple. Good for Mark forcing the NFL's hand like this.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 09, 2016 6:15 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:He's doing it IMO because the NFL essentially iced out the Raiders in the Rams/Chargers/Raiders Los Angeles derby.

Indeed and great post Marv.

The NFL's need to continually shit on the Raiders franchise serves as a window into the (Tom) petty and "good old boy" nature of the owners' clubhouse. Bob McNair, a recent addition to the club, referenced Al Davis's lawsuit against the league just this past summer. McNair nor his franchise even existed when Al sued the league!

The owners still hold a grudge against the Davis family and that grudge is more important than anything else. Its that simple. Good for Mark forcing the NFL's hand like this.

Very much agree with this. The Raiders and the Raiders brand have been pushed to the fringes of a league that only exacts change when it fits the model of its most substantial ownership. For all of the circus antics that follow the Raiders, it is refreshing to see them push the NFL
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 am
  • pehawk wrote: Marv.

Can't decide if it's funnier for this to have been intentional or a slip of the tongue.

Either way, :lol: :lol:

:th2thumbs:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon May 09, 2016 8:40 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    pehawk wrote: Marv.

Can't decide if it's funnier for this to have been intentional or a slip of the tongue.

Either way, :lol: :lol:

:th2thumbs:

It was intentional. Besides, we all know Marv can't discuss anything outside of 49ers.

I'm not sure why, but the league’s treatment of the Raiders evokes actual anger in me. It's just slimy. So much so that the rival of my youth is now my #2 team. I'm half tempted to buy a double-wide and slang rocks in solidarity with Raiders nation.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 09, 2016 9:49 am
  • ^^^^

:lol:

Yeah, the Raiders have a pretty sizeable "hicks from the sticks" contingent to their fanbase that you just really don't see at all among any of the other fanbases in the Bay Area.

It's like Sons of Anarchy takes sundays off and rides down from the mountains into Oakland.

Of course, Al Davis was the perfect avatar for those folks (If he didn't make his money in trucking or truck stops he probably should have -- he was much more Reno than Las Vegas), and even if he wasn't calling BS on the NFL all the time he was totally the type of guy that other billionaires would look down their noses at.

As a Jewish kid with a white collar mom growing up while the Raiders were in L.A. the chances of me being a Raiders fan were pretty slim, but I've always had a major soft spot for that organization, and have passively rooted for the team to do well.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 am
  • Agree with all of you that Davis is playing this well and the NFL has a hardon for the franchise and the family. As PE stated in the schedule bitching thread, the NFL doesn't even try to hide the fact that they are screwing the Raiders.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 am
  • Yeah, I'm in Vegas as I type this. Hawks playing in Vegas might be like another home game for Seattle.
    Also when they get an NHL team, it might be the only way for me to attend an NHL Game.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:That haircut.

Third time is a charm...

There is eccentric...and then there is poor taste. He also wears a fanny pack and drives a hooptie minivan. Ignorance is bliss even to billionaires I guess.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:12 am
  • ShyCheetah wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:That haircut.

Third time is a charm...

There is eccentric...and then there is poor taste. He also wears a fanny pack and drives a hooptie minivan. Ignorance is bliss even to billionaires I guess.

Shy

I don't see him as ignorant at all. He seems to be humble, which is refreshing to see from someone that is rich because he was born into money.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:49 pm
  • Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:56 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

There's questions weather Los Angeles can support 2 teams. No way Vegas could. Hell, Seattle is bigger than Vegas.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:02 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

There's questions weather Los Angeles can support 2 teams. No way Vegas could. Hell, Seattle is bigger than Vegas.

Chargers are boxing themselves into a corner, The Rams deal they didn't like, they punted on the Stadium deal in San Diego, there is still the other site in LA to consider but that will cost them, sliding in on the Raiders coat tails to Vegas or trying anyway is all about someone else footing the bill, I think I read the NFL would help there. Then there is the San Antonio carrot, hell maybe they can go to St Louis :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

Chargers are boxing themselves into a corner, The Rams deal they didn't like, they punted on the Stadium deal in San Diego, there is still the other site in LA to consider but that will cost them, sliding in on the Raiders coat tails to Vegas or trying anyway is all about someone else footing the bill, I think I read the NFL would help there. Then there is the San Antonio carrot, hell maybe they can go to St Louis :)

They haven't punted on San Diego yet, but they need a supermajority now, so it isn't likely. I don't know what it is, but there just is something wrong to me about the Chargers leaving San Diego. They belong there.
    "Game over, man! Game over!"

RIP Bill Paxton, 1955-2017
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:42 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Now the Chargers are going to try to see if they can slime there way into Vegas maybe on the Raiders coat tails, it's one of the options they are looking at.

They're using all their options to try to force the San Diego area to give them a stadium. I wonder where all the money that their current stadium has made throughout the years has gone. That building was built over 50 years ago and has been raking in money for years...was nobody saving for an eventual replacement?

If these stadiums being built by taxpayers bring money into the city coffers, they should have to put a percentage of revenue into an interest bearing account for stadiums only so there wouldn't need to be future taxes for replacing stadiums later. I can only imagine how much money could have been set aside over the last 50 years after paying only $27 million to build it. Compound interest on even a small percentage of revenue would net a city a set of nice new stadiums every 25-30 years.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 pm
  • rideaducati wrote:

They're using all their options to try to force the San Diego area to give them a stadium. I wonder where all the money that their current stadium has made throughout the years has gone. That building was built over 50 years ago and has been raking in money for years...was nobody saving for an eventual replacement?

If these stadiums being built by taxpayers bring money into the city coffers, they should have to put a percentage of revenue into an interest bearing account for stadiums only so there wouldn't need to be future taxes for replacing stadiums later. I can only imagine how much money could have been set aside over the last 50 years after paying only $27 million to build it. Compound interest on even a small percentage of revenue would net a city a set of nice new stadiums every 25-30 years.

Your asking Politicians to think of the future AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:31 am
  • This is the only site I've seen about the Chargers trying to worm in on Vegas, but if true, they are just embarrassing themselves.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:45 am
  • HawkGA wrote:This is the only site I've seen about the Chargers trying to worm in on Vegas, but if true, they are just embarrassing themselves.

Wellllll, it is the Spanos family after all.....
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:17 pm
  • I live in southwest Utah now. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a survey from an organization in Vegas asking me all kinds of question about attending games in a new stadium in Vegas. I guess they are trying to figure out a fan attendance area footprint. We are about 2 hours from the city.

I think they asked every question you could probably ask on the subject. From the slant on some of the location questions they want to put the stadium near the strip.
    " Remember the men and women in uniform that have signed that blank check for us."
    v1rotv2
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:58 pm
  • I am curious as to why the NFL would be so opposed to a team in Las Vegas but so pro a team in London....

Sports gambling is huge in Europe
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:22 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    rideaducati wrote:

Your asking Politicians to think of the future AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Nailed it. San Diego much like Los Angeles can't decide on an actual sight because of pure internal politics. Both cities have viable and good options but it's all about the infighting currently. When Los Angeles gets it together San Diego and Oakland will fall right into line quick.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:09 am
  • mikeak wrote:I am curious as to why the NFL would be so opposed to a team in Las Vegas but so pro a team in London....

Sports gambling is huge in Europe

Because Rog is a big goober that doesnt think things thru????

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Next

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information