Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Las Vegas Raiders???

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:You mean to tell me that one of the Hotels has not built a Football Stadium inside yet they could use? :)

    I thought there was a place that the USFL had used there for a few years, maybe it's the same place your speaking of.


    Yes, that team played in Sam Boyd Stadium. It's seating capacity is only about 35,000 with no shielding from the hot desert sun. UNLV schedules all of their September and early October home games at night. There would be little opportunity for an NFL team to do the same.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1591
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:07 am
  • Image

    I could be wrong, but from the reports I read, they're going to build it just west of Mandalay Bay.

    Also, if remaining in Oakland while they build the stadium is not a possibility, why couldn't they work something out with San Antonio? They did host the New Orleans Saints for a while after Hurricane Katrina.
    User avatar
    replicant
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 149
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm
    Location: WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:48 am
  • Geez, Oakland finally fields a decent team and the Raiders are going to pull up roots.
    Loyalty doesn't go very far in the NFL these days.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3285
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:51 am
  • replicant wrote:Image

    I could be wrong, but from the reports I read, they're going to build it just west of Mandalay Bay.

    Also, if remaining in Oakland while they build the stadium is not a possibility, why couldn't they work something out with San Antonio? They did host the New Orleans Saints for a while after Hurricane Katrina.


    I read it was south of the Mandalay Bay on land that has a golf course on it. I think its called site 2...

    Image

    Image
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2357
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:34 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    replicant wrote:Image

    I could be wrong, but from the reports I read, they're going to build it just west of Mandalay Bay.

    Also, if remaining in Oakland while they build the stadium is not a possibility, why couldn't they work something out with San Antonio? They did host the New Orleans Saints for a while after Hurricane Katrina.


    I read it was south of the Mandalay Bay on land that has a golf course on it. I think its called site 2...

    Image

    Image


    I read it was off Russell Road and mistakenly thought it would be that empty parcel of land to the west. Thanks for the correction.
    User avatar
    replicant
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 149
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm
    Location: WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 am
  • John Clayton said that the Raiders have the required votes to pass and it will be announced after the owners meetings in a couple of days.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1066
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 am
  • Image
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3291
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:27 am
  • Schefter does as well vote was 31-1 with only Miami voting against

    I like it. You can fill an NFL stadium 8-10 times / season in Vegas - easily (I think the NHL team will struggle A LOT to fill 40+ games)

    It adds more room reservations as a lot of people will not decide to stay to Monday night

    You pay for it with a $2 / room tax that nobody going to Vegas will care about

    It is a win-win except you know for Oakland fans who gets shafted
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6364
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

    I would like to think that Mark Davis at least uses a very expensive bowl to cut his hair.
    User avatar
    replicant
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 149
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm
    Location: WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am
  • Shouldn't we drop the question marks from this thread title now? :P
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

    - Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3284
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am
  • Good on Miami for sticking with their conviction...
    User avatar
    London12
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 452
    Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:39 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:31 pm
  • Looks like I'll have to make plans to finally go to Vegas for the first time.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:37 pm
  • So...

    Las Vegas Raiders

    Vegas Raiders

    or L. V. Raiders?
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

    - Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3284
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 pm
  • replicant wrote:I would like to think that Mark Davis at least uses a very expensive bowl to cut his hair.


    Now you know.

    Image
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am
    Location: The Desert


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:32 pm
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    I read it was south of the Mandalay Bay on land that has a golf course on it. I think its called site 2...

    Image

    Image


    The Vegas Valley hasn't looked that sparse since around 1970.
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am
    Location: The Desert


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 pm
  • Wow this thing is going to be right on the strip? I was there last year and was told the hockey arena was right behind the strip.
    User avatar
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3345
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:21 pm
  • Las Vegas Outlaws.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm
  • Not actually happen for like 3 or 4 years though, right? Long time to be lame ducks in Oakland.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105007
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Las Vegas Outlaws.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image


    Image
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am
    Location: The Desert


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Wow this thing is going to be right on the strip? I was there last year and was told the hockey arena was right behind the strip.


    "Golden Nights" :roll: will play at the new T-Mobile Arena which is right behind the NYNY Hotel / Casino on the strip.
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am
    Location: The Desert


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 pm
  • How exactly is Las Vegas given the non-football advantage of randos showing up at the hotels going to exactly correct for the advantage of having a team there?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 273
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 pm
  • I.. Guess.. It.. Happened
    User avatar
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1267
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am
  • The original reason that NFL was radioactive in LV was because that would unfairly bet the spread.

    As well, where are the LV Raiders exactly supposed to play until 2020? Confirm or deny that that would not affect the spread, and that we're all supposed to identify that it might not affect due to reasons we are not 100 percent familiar with but might not create bias?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 273
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 am
  • HawkGA wrote:Not actually happen for like 3 or 4 years though, right? Long time to be lame ducks in Oakland.


    They announced that they'll play in Oakland in 2017 and 2018, but they're not sure where they'll play in 2019. The earliest their new stadium will be available will be in 2020.

    I was a little surprised that they are spending two more years in Oakland.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1591
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:49 am
  • What are the chances of them putting a sports book inside the stadium? Would the NFL even allow it?
    User avatar
    replicant
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 149
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm
    Location: WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:37 am

Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:The original reason that NFL was radioactive in LV was because that would unfairly bet the spread.

    As well, where are the LV Raiders exactly supposed to play until 2020? Confirm or deny that that would not affect the spread, and that we're all supposed to identify that it might not affect due to reasons we are not 100 percent familiar with but might not create bias?

    Your spread question is a good one. It shouldn't affect the opening line as those that do that are paid by the casinos and know what they're doing. But with fans of the Raiders living right there and having direct betting access, you'd think they could move the line one way or another much easier.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3285
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:06 am
  • RiverDog wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Not actually happen for like 3 or 4 years though, right? Long time to be lame ducks in Oakland.


    They announced that they'll play in Oakland in 2017 and 2018, but they're not sure where they'll play in 2019. The earliest their new stadium will be available will be in 2020.

    I was a little surprised that they are spending two more years in Oakland.


    Whatever radio station I was listening to last night gave a 3.5 years number (no idea what the .5 means but I assume it is because it's currently the offseason. The Raiders should volunteer to be a traveling road show until they move into their new stadium. Maybe play a few games in San Diego. A few in San Antonio. Work your way around the country to build a fan base all set to commute to Vegas for the home games there.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105007
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:17 am
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:The original reason that NFL was radioactive in LV was because that would unfairly bet the spread.

    As well, where are the LV Raiders exactly supposed to play until 2020? Confirm or deny that that would not affect the spread, and that we're all supposed to identify that it might not affect due to reasons we are not 100 percent familiar with but might not create bias?

    Your spread question is a good one. It shouldn't affect the opening line as those that do that are paid by the casinos and know what they're doing. But with fans of the Raiders living right there and having direct betting access, you'd think they could move the line one way or another much easier.


    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing?

    Goodell said in October that the league still remains very opposed to gambling on sports. We know that's pretty bizarre (bs?), considering the ridiculous amount of advertising that was allowed by Draft Kings and the like during commercial breaks in previous seasons. Back in 2012 Goodell was part of a court filing against Gov. Chris Christie over sports gambling as well.

    It's going to be really interesting to see the Raiders move to the gambling capital of North America.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing? .


    Goodell and the league aren't naive, they know what drives the large majority of their success and ratings is gambling.

    It's why we're all glued to a terrible MNF game between the Bears and Jets, cause we need 15 more fantasy points........or in Vegas's case, sportsbooks full of gamblers trying to break even with the last game of the week.

    IMO the only reason it took this long for a team to relocate to Vegas is image. Up until 10-15 years ago Vegas was still viewed as a town of degenerates and seedy activity. That attitude has changed, so I think the owners and league finally realized Vegas provides a big opportunity to make a LOT of money for everyone............especially when they got taxpayers to pony up most of the cost of the new stadium.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11793
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:29 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing?

    Goodell said in October that the league still remains very opposed to gambling on sports. We know that's pretty bizarre (bs?), considering the ridiculous amount of advertising that was allowed by Draft Kings and the like during commercial breaks in previous seasons. Back in 2012 Goodell was part of a court filing against Gov. Chris Christie over sports gambling as well.

    It's going to be really interesting to see the Raiders move to the gambling capital of North America.


    1) Agree - they don't care about how lines could be influenced and they shouldn't. That is NOT their problem. They have always cared about the risk of gambling influencing players not to perform based on corruption. HOWEVER with salaries in the millions of dollars that risk has significantly been diminished. The bribes to players has to be so significant to make it worth it to them that the amount gambled has to be tremendous to walk away with a profit which in itself will be a dead giveaway that there is something going on. So I think they can stop worrying about that now. This was a major reason before though when salaries were significantly smaller

    2) As I have noted a lot before - this door was opened when they started playing in London. It is funny that the media hasn't mentioned it but games (and everything else) is gambled on over there so by having several games over there and increasing the interest you already created more gambling on NFL games. Going to Vegas just became the next step.

    HawkGA wrote:
    Whatever radio station I was listening to last night gave a 3.5 years number (no idea what the .5 means but I assume it is because it's currently the offseason. The Raiders should volunteer to be a traveling road show until they move into their new stadium. Maybe play a few games in San Diego. A few in San Antonio. Work your way around the country to build a fan base all set to commute to Vegas for the home games there.


    The road show idea is very interesting just based on going to Vegas. They will not have a strong home base - the stadium will be filled with visitors so why not try to become "America's team" (yes I know that term is taken).

    I like the idea
    Last edited by mikeak on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6364
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:30 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:The original reason that NFL was radioactive in LV was because that would unfairly bet the spread.

    As well, where are the LV Raiders exactly supposed to play until 2020? Confirm or deny that that would not affect the spread, and that we're all supposed to identify that it might not affect due to reasons we are not 100 percent familiar with but might not create bias?

    Your spread question is a good one. It shouldn't affect the opening line as those that do that are paid by the casinos and know what they're doing. But with fans of the Raiders living right there and having direct betting access, you'd think they could move the line one way or another much easier.


    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing?

    Goodell said in October that the league still remains very opposed to gambling on sports. We know that's pretty bizarre (bs?), considering the ridiculous amount of advertising that was allowed by Draft Kings and the like during commercial breaks in previous seasons. Back in 2012 Goodell was part of a court filing against Gov. Chris Christie over sports gambling as well.

    It's going to be really interesting to see the Raiders move to the gambling capital of North America.

    I think the NFL and Vegas have been bedfellows for many, many years. They've relied on each other to thrive.

    I wonder how much the NHL expansion franchise going in there played a part in the timing of this Raiders move? They can look less hypocritical to all of their previous anti-gambling preaching, now saying "See, we're not the first to be here. It's obviously OK."
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3285
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing? .


    Goodell and the league aren't naive, they know what drives the large majority of their success and ratings is gambling.

    It's why we're all glued to a terrible MNF game between the Bears and Jets, cause we need 15 more fantasy points........or in Vegas's case, sportsbooks full of gamblers trying to break even with the last game of the week.

    IMO the only reason it took this long for a team to relocate to Vegas is image. Up until 10-15 years ago Vegas was still viewed as a town of degenerates and seedy activity. That attitude has changed, so I think the owners and league finally realized Vegas provides a big opportunity to make a LOT of money for everyone............especially when they got taxpayers to pony up most of the cost of the new stadium.


    I definitely think the viewership/success in the past might have been a bit more hand-in-hand, but in 2017 with the amount of money the league generates now I just don't see gambling in Vegas as "driving the large majority of their success and ratings." It's one city, last I checked the "large majority" of the NFL's ratings don't come from Vegas and at this point the NFL might look at the economic effect that Vegas has on their overall bottom-line as marginal. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, I just think you're overestimating the effect and really how much the NFL cares about it at this point.

    Edit: I just realized you said gambling in general. I'm still not sure sports gambling in a few states and abroad is a large driving factor for the NFL's success.

    I do completely agree with you, though, that they're letting this go through now because of image. The attitude has changed about Vegas, as mikeak pointed out players and coaches are making enough money where taking bribes/throwing games isn't even worth it and you have an NHL already moving into town.

    I think the problem for the NFL relating to Vegas, and sports gambling in general, is not tarnishing the "integrity of the game."
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am
  • ^ I was going to make a similar point but then noted that he also mentions fantasy points

    I think it is hard to argue that fantasy in general is (EDIT: Should have said is NOT) driving interest. I am seeing people do fantasy draft that have no clue about the sports. They end up checking scores, talking about it etc and it just helps drive the overall interest

    I personally don't consider that gambling or being tied to being in Vegas but I do agree that it is a very valid point that it is all part of a big machine generating additional interest helping the NFL
    Last edited by mikeak on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6364
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:06 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing? .


    Goodell and the league aren't naive, they know what drives the large majority of their success and ratings is gambling.

    It's why we're all glued to a terrible MNF game between the Bears and Jets, cause we need 15 more fantasy points........or in Vegas's case, sportsbooks full of gamblers trying to break even with the last game of the week.

    IMO the only reason it took this long for a team to relocate to Vegas is image. Up until 10-15 years ago Vegas was still viewed as a town of degenerates and seedy activity. That attitude has changed, so I think the owners and league finally realized Vegas provides a big opportunity to make a LOT of money for everyone............especially when they got taxpayers to pony up most of the cost of the new stadium.


    I definitely think the viewership/success in the past might have been a bit more hand-in-hand, but in 2017 with the amount of money the league generates now I just don't see gambling in Vegas as "driving the large majority of their success and ratings." It's one city, last I checked the "large majority" of the NFL's ratings don't come from Vegas and at this point the NFL might look at the economic effect that Vegas has on their overall bottom-line as marginal. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, I just think you're overestimating the effect and really how much the NFL cares about it at this point.

    Edit: I just realized you said gambling in general. I'm still not sure sports gambling in a few states and abroad is a large driving factor for the NFL's success.

    I do completely agree with you, though, that they're letting this go through now because of image. The attitude has changed about Vegas, as mikeak pointed out players and coaches are making enough money where taking bribes/throwing games isn't even worth it and you have an NHL already moving into town.

    I think the problem for the NFL relating to Vegas, and sports gambling in general, is not tarnishing the "integrity of the game."


    I didn't say gambling in VEGAS as driving ratings and success, I said gambling in general, all over the world now.

    Vegas is no longer just a city of transients and degenerates. It's vibrant affluent city full of longtime and new residents that will make the NFL successful.

    I honestly don't see the gambling element an issue here, and obviously neither did the league.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11793
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 am
  • mikeak wrote:^ I was going to make a similar point but then noted that he also mentions fantasy points

    I think it is hard to argue that fantasy in general is driving interest. I am seeing people do fantasy draft that have no clue about the sports. They end up checking scores, talking about it etc and it just helps drive the overall interest

    I personally don't consider that gambling or being tied to being in Vegas but I do agree that it is a very valid point that it is all part of a big machine generating additional interest helping the NFL


    I definitely think Fantasy has become one of the easiest ways for the NFL to garner interest from people who generally don't care to watch or pay attention outside of their own teams. Everybody including their drunk mother-in-law is playing now.

    mikeak wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Whatever radio station I was listening to last night gave a 3.5 years number (no idea what the .5 means but I assume it is because it's currently the offseason. The Raiders should volunteer to be a traveling road show until they move into their new stadium. Maybe play a few games in San Diego. A few in San Antonio. Work your way around the country to build a fan base all set to commute to Vegas for the home games there.

    The road show idea is very interesting just based on going to Vegas. They will not have a strong home base - the stadium will be filled with visitors so why not try to become "America's team" (yes I know that term is taken).

    I like the idea


    Man, fans in the Oakland area would be piiiiiiiiiiiiissed, but it's an interesting idea. Go to cities that don't currently have an NFL presence, maybe scope out the ones with cheap flights directly to Vegas and you might be able to build something over two years.


    Sgt., I edited my post shortly after to acknowledge that you didn't specify gambling in Vegas. I'm with ya.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:49 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Honest question: Do you guys think the NFL really cares about spreads, lines and gambling? I assume gambling actually helps viewership because you have more people with vested interests, but does it have a large enough economical effect for them to worry about what gamblers in Vegas are doing? .


    Goodell and the league aren't naive, they know what drives the large majority of their success and ratings is gambling.

    It's why we're all glued to a terrible MNF game between the Bears and Jets, cause we need 15 more fantasy points........or in Vegas's case, sportsbooks full of gamblers trying to break even with the last game of the week.

    IMO the only reason it took this long for a team to relocate to Vegas is image. Up until 10-15 years ago Vegas was still viewed as a town of degenerates and seedy activity. Now They Have The Raiders Too. That attitude has changed, so I think the owners and league finally realized Vegas provides a big opportunity to make a LOT of money for everyone............especially when they got taxpayers to pony up most of the cost of the new stadium.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7165
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:48 am
  • Oakland councilmen wants to throw the Raiders out of Oakland now.

    Gambling before the internet was a concern, with the internet it doesn't matter, Vegas, Atlantic City, Morocco, or Fargo, you can gamble and bet anywhere in the world now.

    Also Owner of Bordello is going to open a Raiders themed One.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Also Owner of Bordello is going to open a Raiders themed One.


    Is that where the hookers role play as unemployed lowlife Raider fans who throw batteries at you and have bench warrants?
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11793
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm
  • No, probably where you go and say I needs a Wench arrggh.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 21478
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:53 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:No, probably where you go and say I needs a Wench arrggh.


    Well duhhh...that is the Treasure Island.


    Check this out if you wish. Maybe see it on the channel news feed too.

    https://www.facebook.com/KTNVLasVegas/v ... 260693802/

    Cant find it on the news feed yet.

    Edit....youtube.

    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7165
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:41 am
  • Its a perfect fit for the Raiders. Oakland had its chance for many years to keep them in the Bay and couldn't make it happen. I would venture to say that Raider fans are spread across the country more so than any team in the NFL and what a better venue to go watch your team play then Vegas. I wonder if current season ticket holders get first shot at keeping seats? I would definitely take advantage of that if they are with it being so easy to sell the tickets and being only an 8 hr drive to sin city. Hell, they have always just been the "RAIDERS" to me anyway so it don't matter where they call home.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 516
    Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 am


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 am
  • HawkGA wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Not actually happen for like 3 or 4 years though, right? Long time to be lame ducks in Oakland.


    They announced that they'll play in Oakland in 2017 and 2018, but they're not sure where they'll play in 2019. The earliest their new stadium will be available will be in 2020.

    I was a little surprised that they are spending two more years in Oakland.


    Whatever radio station I was listening to last night gave a 3.5 years number (no idea what the .5 means but I assume it is because it's currently the offseason. The Raiders should volunteer to be a traveling road show until they move into their new stadium. Maybe play a few games in San Diego. A few in San Antonio. Work your way around the country to build a fan base all set to commute to Vegas for the home games there.


    Personally I like the idea of the traveling road show, but the Raiders would be nuts not to have a permanent home. How the heck are the players and other employees supposed to live their lives? If you're a free agent, are you going to want to sign with the Raiders under those conditions?

    IMO their best option would have been San Diego. It's close enough to Las Vegas for the new Las Vegas fan base to drive to for the games. It's only a 5 hour drive, and unlike Hawk fans from Spokane that drive to the games, you don't have a mountain pass to negotiate during the winter.

    I, too, heard that some on the Oakland city council want to throw the Raiders out. That makes for great politics, but the Raiders have two yearly lease agreements for 2017 and 2018 that are pretty straight forward, and they've exercised the one for next season ahead of the March 31 deadline. It looks like two years of a shotgun marriage.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1591
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 am
  • RiverDog wrote:Personally I like the idea of the traveling road show, but the Raiders would be nuts not to have a permanent home. How the heck are the players and other employees supposed to live their lives? If you're a free agent, are you going to want to sign with the Raiders under those conditions?



    Just get like 100 Madden buses and you're good to go! 150 maybe?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105007
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am
  • replicant wrote:Image

    I could be wrong, but from the reports I read, they're going to build it just west of Mandalay Bay.

    Also, if remaining in Oakland while they build the stadium is not a possibility, why couldn't they work something out with San Antonio? They did host the New Orleans Saints for a while after Hurricane Katrina.


    It has been reported that this is the location the Raiders are partial to for some reason, but nothing has been decided as of yet. There are a couple of other locations other than the two in the Mandalay Bay / South Strip area that are vying to get in the game as well (probably long shots).

    Image
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    User avatar
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1298
    Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am
    Location: The Desert


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am
  • They're going to have to decide on a site real soon if they want to be ready in 2020. It takes a full two years just to build a large stadium, plus all of the permits, environmental reviews, etc.

    Everything I've read says that the Raiders are committed to the Russell Road site behind Mandalay Bay, and that's the one that to me makes the most sense.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1591
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm
  • Sucks for the fans in Oakland. Not once but TWICE the team has been yanked and will never return.

    I feel for them. It SUCKS giant ASS.

    I'm beginning to hate the NFL and I never thought I would say that. One thing I will say is that when my DirecTV contract is up appropriately in Sept. I will not renew. Therefore I'm out of market and will miss a LOT of Hawk games.

    I really don't even care anymore. I'm tired of being held hostage by them, and I'm tired of paying their ridiculous prices to simply watch tv.

    I also don't like Vegas.

    There ya go.

    Oh, Raiders Suck Brontosaurus ass for moving the team to this garbage city.

    Bye.
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34838
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:51 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:The original reason that NFL was radioactive in LV was because that would unfairly bet the spread.

    As well, where are the LV Raiders exactly supposed to play until 2020? Confirm or deny that that would not affect the spread, and that we're all supposed to identify that it might not affect due to reasons we are not 100 percent familiar with but might not create bias?

    Your spread question is a good one. It shouldn't affect the opening line as those that do that are paid by the casinos and know what they're doing. But with fans of the Raiders living right there and having direct betting access, you'd think they could move the line one way or another much easier.

    Individual Raider games might be "off the board". That's the way they used to do it with th Nevada college teams when it came to sports betting.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22564
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Las Vegas Raiders???
Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:07 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:How exactly is Las Vegas given the non-football advantage of randos showing up at the hotels going to exactly correct for the advantage of having a team there?


    I would guess Las Vegas will be one of the worst home field advantages in the league. Sure, there's the betting angle, but bottom line is it's a small market team with many of the fans elsewhere. And many people in Vegas are already fans of other teams. It'll be as tepid in there as a Cardinals home game against the Jaguars.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 23314
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines


PreviousNext


It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online