Article: Could Ivory be headed to Seattle? (Speculation)

Erebus

Reaction score
I can't see us spending more than $2M on a RB. If his price tag is in the range the article predicts, he would be too expensive. There are just too many bigger needs that are a better use of our cap space.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I threw this out there as a possibility yesterday and heard nothing but crickets. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see this happen ... and I think it potentially makes a lot of sense from Seattle's standpoint.

The Seahawks LOVED what Marshawn Lynch brought to this team. His tough, bruising style of running really became the identity of this team in so many ways. That's an element that was for the most part missing last season ... and I very much believe the Seahawks would love to recapture that.

Chris Ivory is the exact same style of punishing runner ... but wore down as the season went on. Unlike Lynch, he seems to me to be a guy who would be very effective if his carries were managed.

At 27 years old, he's still got 2-3 good years (or more) left in him if his carries are managed. His cap number was only $2.75 million last year (given how he wore down as the season wore on, he may not even get that in FA) -- bottom line: I don't know that I see him exactly breaking the bank. And he's familiar with the area, having played for WSU for 3 years.

Personally, I could see a Thomas Rawls-Chris Ivory platoon situation making a ton of sense for the Seahawks. Kevin Harlan threw his name out there a couple of years ago as a possibility for Seattle once Marshawn Lynch retired. I thought it made sense then and I think it makes some sense now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1spittiu said:
I threw this out there as a possibility yesterday and heard nothing but crickets. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see this happen ... and I think it potentially makes a lot of sense from Seattle's standpoint.

The Seahawks LOVED what Marshawn Lynch brought to this team. His tough, bruising style of running really became the identity of this team in so many ways. That's an element that was for the most part missing last season ... and I very much believe the Seahawks would love to recapture that.

Chris Ivory is the exact same style of punishing runner ... but wore down as the season went on. Unlike Lynch, he seems to me to be a guy who would be very effective if his carries were managed.

At 27 years old, he's still got 2-3 good years (or more) left in him if his carries are managed. His cap number was only $2.75 million last year (given how he wore down as the season wore on, he may not even get that in FA) -- bottom line: I don't know that I see him exactly breaking the bank. And he's familiar with the area, having played for WSU for 3 years.

Personally, I could see a Thomas Rawls-Chris Ivory platoon situation making a ton of sense for the Seahawks. Kevin Harlan threw his name out there a couple of years ago as a possibility for Seattle once Marshawn Lynch retired. I thought it made sense then and I think it makes some sense now.
If his price is as you are expecting, I'd be all in on signing Ivory. A platoon with he and Rawls only helps both guys IMO.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seems too perfect to happen. If it would fit financially I'd be all for it.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Erebus":1tck9if1 said:
I can't see us spending more than $2M on a RB. If his price tag is in the range the article predicts, he would be too expensive. There are just too many bigger needs that are a better use of our cap space.

I disagree. Although the needs are certainly elsewhere, we witnessed what losing rawls means to the rush. Likewise, the article laid out a few powerful examples of the rookie wall or sophomore slump so to speak. So for depth, insurance, and to quite frankly just save a little mileage on rawls, i think the expense is worth it. Our offense in the playoffs was not up to par, period.

I just hope the play is made for Starks more so than ivory. I want playoff experience and he comes with the added benefit of subtracting a piece from an in conference opponent.

knownone

Reaction score
Seattle's not gonna lose a compensatory pick to sign a 27 year old RB. It's not gonna happen.

Seafan

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to see Chris Ivory with the Seahawks I don't think it would happen. There are several teams who would outbid the Hawks. Rawls will be the man.

nanomoz

Reaction score
knownone":27hfherx said:
Seattle's not gonna lose a compensatory pick to sign a 27 year old RB. It's not gonna happen.

I'm leery of absolutes, yet I think I agree. Especially sine Rawls showed so well.

I still think a RB closer is a priority.

massari

Reaction score
Do they sign Christine Michael for around the vet minimum or Ivory at 5M while supposedly losing a comp pick?

Sounds like an easy choice to me.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
massari":3t3h6bu7 said:
Do they sign Christine Michael for around the vet minimum or Ivory at 5M while supposedly losing a comp pick?

Sounds like an easy choice to me.

First of all, teams in general just don't value RB's the way that they used to. There's no way he's getting $5M/season ... and if some team happens to do so -- I'd say good luck and wish them all the best on that one.

The following is a list of all free agent signings from last year (as of June 22nd, 2015). You can see for yourself that in general the contracts handed out weren't all that rich ...
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/3/10/8150357/nfl-free-agent-signings-tracker-2015-rumors

There were only a handful of contracts that were signed this past year in that $4 Million and up range -- none of which really worked out for those teams.

So no, I don't see Chris Ivory pulling down that kind of money. If he does, I'm happy for him -- I just don't see it.

Where I'm coming from on this ... is on the bargain basement end of things (which is where I see this guy). He started off well ... but then faded as the season went on and the carries mounted. He strikes me as a player who could still be available late in to the free agent period (or possibly even after the draft) ... and if he is, that's when the Hawks should start kicking the tires. That's where I'm coming from.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Honestly, I think we can roll with just Rawls. But if the FO wants someone else, Ivory is it. I actually talked with Sammy about this last summer.. rather than pay Marshawn what we did last year I would have preferred a trade and get Ivory and pay him considerably yes and use the savings to get a lineman.

If CM has changed his attitude for good, Im totally good with Rawls and CM going into next year.

Fade

Reaction score
He is an obvious fit style wise. Salary Cap & Compensatory Pick wise, it makes no sense. When it comes to Free Agents going forward it will only be players that get cut off of other teams because those players don't factor into the Compensatory Pick formula. The only position group the Seahawks would possibly make an exception would be D-Line & for this year O-Line.

Erebus

Reaction score
Fade":y5mp45l8 said:
He is an obvious fit style wise. Salary Cap & Compensatory Pick wise, it makes no sense. When it comes to Free Agents going forward it will only be players that get cut off of other teams because those players don't factor into the Compensatory Pick formula. The only position group the Seahawks would possibly make an exception would be D-Line & for this year O-Line.

I think you're seriously overestimating Pete and John's emphasis on compensatory picks. They have never shied away from trading picks or signing free agents when the cap space is there. Just look at Cary Williams last year for an example. I think Ivory makes sense for the right price, but I don't think the comp picks are a driving factor.

drdiags

Reaction score
With Rawls coming off an injury the team has to plan as if he isn't ready to go. I am sure they will look at numerous options at RB. I would suspect they will stock up in this area with a draft pick, taking a flyer on Michael and bringing in a couple FAs to TC.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think Ivory would do nearly as well behind our offensive line. There's a HUGE difference between the line the Jets put on the field, and what we "fielded."

I think Ivory would be a bust with this line and would prefer to have Cmike come back.

And since when does a "good running back" break down during a season. He had 247 attempts behind a good line, vs Lynch who normally had 280+ behind a crap line.

Wouldn't touch him when there are much younger RBs out there.

kearly

Reaction score
If Ivory's market fails to materialize, I would think the Jets would fight hard to keep him.

I totally get why some people link him to the Seahawks, but Pete has always been a workhorse back guy and I think they want Rawls to be their workhorse back. If Ivory did come here he'd probably get significantly fewer carries than Rawls while getting paid a LOT more, and that could create some unwanted tensions in the locker room. My guess is that they keep Michael as insurance and pick up a third RB dirt cheap in the draft process.

Ivotuk makes a great point about OL too. Ivory has played behind good OLs his entire NFL career to this point. Also, OL chemistry with a RB matters big time, so it's always a bit of a dicey proposition when a RB goes to a new team. Lynch and Ivory had success with second teams but many RBs struggle with the transition.