Report: Calvin Johnson to retire

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pretty stunning news that just broke

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/693920859614900226[/tweet]

253hawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":l9iaoigk said:
Yikes. Another singular talent wasted on that wretched franchise.

It's like Matt Millen never left.

I think Calvin was the last player left over from that idiot's tenure.

Bryce84

Reaction score
Hard to blame him after the sheer amount of injuries he's battled through over his career. He was always nursing something. It's absolutely incredible that he only missed 9 games throughout his career (9 seasons) with all the injuries he's had. Wish his body was able to hold up better to see what kind of damage he could really do to this league and the record books, but it wasn't to be.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Stock in Golden Tate just fell.

Liked Calvin Johnsons style.. going to miss him.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2qprism9 said:
peachesenregalia":2qprism9 said:

Seriously. First Joey Harrington.

I know. All those years... he could have been in the television studio even sooner.

kidhawk

Reaction score
He made a public announcement stating that he was considering retiring at the beginning of January, so it's not all that surprising to me that he followed through with it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121495

He made enough money to be financially stable for himself and his family, no reason to continue to play if he doesn't have that drive any longer.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If you watched him play a lot this year this isn't that surprising. He was a shell of his former self and the Lions basically just used hiz size and the threat of what he used to be to get him open on curl routes.

TBH he's been declining for a few years now, which has mostly just been masked in the statistics by the Lions throwing 50 times a game or whatever.

At his very peak I think it's hard to argue that he wasn't a top 15 or so player at his position, but the injuries caught up with him, and his stats were always inflated by playing on a consistently losing team that was forced to throw the ball too much across his entire career.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2afxxcdu said:
peachesenregalia":2afxxcdu said:

Seriously. First Joey Harrington and now Calvin Johnson.

Haha, Joey Harrington.. Now there's a real winner. (or is it weiner?)

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Being from Michigan and always having to watch the Lions play every weekend, I am going to miss watching him play. Classy guy and a great player. I predict that the Lions grab another big WR in the draft to supplant his departure.

soohawk

Reaction score
stafford had problems growing as a qb with calvin as a security blanket. its going to be a brave new world for him come the fall

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Loved watching Megatron.

I think we'll see this more and more now...all the head issues and concussion stuff. If you make big bucks, make it to 30, and can walk away with no lasting injuries?? That's like hitting the lottery. Glad I got to watch him play.

nanomoz

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3a4nrcw1 said:
Made it official today, if anyone's interested. It would be so depressing to be a fan of that team.

Remember that Browns fan that made the factory of sadness youtube video? There needs to be a Lions' equivalent: "Our franchise makes hall of famers say fuggit while they're still in their prime."