The Raiders getting screwed....

pehawk

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party guy here, but how enraging is it the NFL is still deliberately screwing over a franchise, professional football players, and a fanbase over a HS girl type grudge? Notice the quote below....from an owner who's new to the boys club.

The Raiders also lose, and for reasons not entirely related to business merit. The Raiders lose because their partners hold a grudge.

‘‘Oakland gets nothing,’’ Texans owner Robert McNair. ‘‘Al used to sue us all the time.’’

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... es-owners/

Its all enraging, truly. They're messing up competitive balance by consistently making sure the Raiders cant compete, all while mandating a salary floor. Its all kind of gross and more erosion to Roger's credibility.

drdiags

Reaction score
I could see the Old Boys network holding grudges, see Stern for reference. You would just think the league would be more for a LA Rams/Raiders partnership. Never understood how Spanos felt he had first dibs on the LA market. As an owner I would have been pushing for Spanos to resolve his San Diego market issues and even fatten the coffers to get something done there.

The Raiders question needs to be resolved because if the Chargers do move to LA, where does that leave them? I guess they become true marauders and just become a band of gypsies (no disrespect intended to gypsies).

chris98251

Reaction score
This is those bastards that couldn't beat Al when he was alive now jumping on his kid for spite, spineless and really detrimental to the league actually. Al made the Raiders the NFL bad guys and wore it proudly, every team that played them over the years profited from those match ups. Idiots!

Maulbert

Reaction score
Honestly, wouldn't shock me if the league is hoping to force Davis to sell to a richer and more prestigious owner. I don't think they will ever think of Al's boy as one of their own.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
chris98251":38xuxidq said:
This is those bastards that couldn't beat Al when he was alive now jumping on his kid for spite, spineless and really detrimental to the league actually. Al made the Raiders the NFL bad guys and wore it proudly, every team that played them over the years profited from those match ups. Idiots!

The odd thing is the quote I put above is from Bob McNair...he wasn't even around during those days. He just hates for no reason.

Maulbert

Reaction score
pehawk":368prfyx said:
chris98251":368prfyx said:

The odd thing is the quote I put above is from Bob McNair...he wasn't even around during those days. He just hates for no reason.

Although I agree for the most part, to be fair, Davis's final lawsuit in the league wasn't settled until July 2007, nearly 8 years after McNair was awarded the Texans.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":1qheepaj said:
pehawk":1qheepaj said:
chris98251":1qheepaj said:

Although I agree for the most part, to be fair, Davis's final lawsuit in the league wasn't settled until July 2007, nearly 8 years after McNair was awarded the Texans.

Fair enough. McNair had to be a spring chicken then, probably 95. He's a crypt keeper, looking ghoul.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":25ots3ac said:
chris98251":25ots3ac said:

Welcome back, Pookie. :th2thumbs:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3gk3gwj9 said:
pehawk":3gk3gwj9 said:
chris98251":3gk3gwj9 said:

Welcome back, Pookie. :th2thumbs:
I'm jealous.

Seriously, good find pe. And yeah they've been screwing the Raiders on the field with ref calls for years so why stop there?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The NFL has so little imagination. The could look at the Raiders as such an opportunity to recreate an epic franchise, but instead they are so caught in punishing a dead guy that they don't see it.

By and large, NFL ownership is markedly dislikable.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
Maulbert":298ctzwo said:
Honestly, wouldn't shock me if the league is hoping to force Davis to sell to a richer and more prestigious owner. I don't think they will ever think of Al's boy as one of their own.

^This...I think you're absolutely right, Goodell is trying to force a sell here. But I believe that Mark Davis will hold on to the Raiders regardless, because the team is his Father's Legacy. Mark is not like the vast majority of other Ownership's in the NFL, he's not filthy rich. But Mark Davis is trying to correct much of his Father's wrongs during his last days of his ownership.

I get to see the Oaktown Raiders close up, just like the 49ers, because I am in the Bay Area, and trust me Mark Davis has his team going in the right direction. Imvho Mark Davis has his head screwed on better than Jed York,

Maulbert

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":3q4c1rep said:
Imvho Mark Davis has his head screwed on better than Jed York,

Sadly, you could swap Davis for Jerry Jones and that sentence would still be true. I have never seen an owner with even close to the same level of willful ignorance York has for his team's position and standing.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":1afpnic3 said:
Maulbert":1afpnic3 said:

^This...I think you're absolutely right, Goodell is trying to force a sell here. But I believe that Mark Davis will hold on to the Raiders regardless, because the team is his Father's Legacy. Mark is not like the vast majority of other Ownership's in the NFL, he's not filthy rich. But Mark Davis is trying to correct much of his Father's wrongs during his last days of his ownership.

I get to see the Oaktown Raiders close up, just like the 49ers, because I am in the Bay Area, and trust me Mark Davis has his team going in the right direction. Imvho Mark Davis has his head screwed on better than Jed York,

This is all truth. Del Rio was a perfect, atleastgettomediocre, hire.

Can I use this thread to also point out how remiss Rog has been with Titans ownership? Different problem, same symptoms.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Who cares? They just need an owner that can find a way to get a stadium financed. Mark Davis doesn't have enough money to help with the stadium and when his mother dies, he will have trouble paying the estate taxes. Mark needs to get his mother to spend her money on a stadium...she can't take it with her.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":2oe61des said:
Who cares? They just need an owner that can find a way to get a stadium financed. Mark Davis doesn't have enough money to help with the stadium and when his mother dies, he will have trouble paying the estate taxes. Mark needs to get his mother to spend her money on a stadium...she can't take it with her.

I care...I like football.

rideaducati

Reaction score
pehawk":3o0ckwa7 said:
rideaducati":3o0ckwa7 said:

I care...I like football.

I like football too, but the owners make enough money to pay for a billion dollar stadium within 10 years...They can build their own damn stadiums and then they wouldn't have to beg for handouts. If Davis REALLY wanted to screw the other NFL owners, he should pay for his own stadium. That way, everyone else would point to how the Raiders did it when other teams wanted taxpayer money to fund new stadiums. I'm surprised Al didn't do that before he died as a final "screw you" to the rest of the league.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Stadiums aren't built for the owners, they're built for us the fans. Yes, that's a Pollyanna view of things but its how I view it. The Clink belongs to us and is there to be used by us and our families.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If someone doesn't like the Raiders, they should still be bothered by this. tHe fact that some NFL owners have no voice, and others seem to have extra votes, should be cause for concern.

The name Davis should matter as much to the future of the NFL as the name Rooney or Mara. But it doesn't.