Browner on his way out of New Orleans

2_0_6

Reaction score
That ship has sailed. We have no need for a big, slow, CB who gets more penalties than any other CB in the league.

pehawk

Reaction score
uncle fester":3tiuwd7n said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/05/brandon-browner-says-an-apparent-goodbye-to-new-orleans/

Anyone in favor of bringing him back & moving him to safety? Or is that too much work for the sake of it?

If he can play safety then hell yes I'd take a look.

El Caliente

Reaction score
Yeah, we did him no favors (here in new orleans). We didn't put him in a position to have success, and we didn't run a system that he could play in.

I am sure he has another year left in him, I am just upset that we couldn't get more out of him. Class act on his way out though. He is a better man than Junior Gallet.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Really regret he didn't have the season he would've hoped for us. I pretty much blame the coaching for putting him out of position to make plays.

crosfam

Reaction score
For the Vet minimum I would take him to camp and try him out at safety, maybe nickel corner for some packages. Would be a possible training camp cut for sure, so no guarantees. Real tough at or close to the line of scrimmage. Only issue is that younger draft picks and developmental players are faster. He is more of a small linebacker - hey, maybe something there...

RichNhansom

Reaction score
He's a beast who loves to hit. Plays great on ST's and is definitely an enforcer.

I would love to have him back if he is cheap but I feel Pete and John moved on after he decided smoking pot was a good idea, which was his second strike after the PED suspension and also right after the FO gave him a bonus check just because they thought his play, leadership and character deserved it.

I understand the thinking but I still believe he could help this team.

kobebryant

Reaction score
One of my favorites of this era of Hawk football.

His best days are behind him and I'm not sure where he would fit, but he'd certainly bring some of that bully identity back with him.

Then again, he never was fast and was always grabby but he still fit in nicely here. Something about Hawk DBs being homegrown and playing their best with the Hawks.

kobebryant

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1gbs2ngo said:
He's a beast who loves to hit. Plays great on ST's and is definitely an enforcer.

I would love to have him back if he is cheap but I feel Pete and John moved on after he decided smoking pot was a good idea, which was his second strike after the PED suspension and also right after the FO gave him a bonus check just because they thought his play, leadership and character deserved it.

I could be wrong but I don't believe pot and peds fall under the same policy and count as concurrent strikes.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":2fxrupqx said:
uncle fester":2fxrupqx said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/05/brandon-browner-says-an-apparent-goodbye-to-new-orleans/

Anyone in favor of bringing him back & moving him to safety? Or is that too much work for the sake of it?

Fans are still trying to move him to safety huh? I remember when fans wanted to move Thomas to Nickel Corner in 2013 and thought we could trade Matt Flynn to the Jets for Revis.

pehawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1q6yd1zi said:
pehawk":1q6yd1zi said:
uncle fester":1q6yd1zi said:

Fans are still trying to move him to safety huh? I remember when fans wanted to move Thomas to Nickel Corner in 2013 and thought we could trade Matt Flynn to the Jets for Revis.

True...there's no examples of aging, physical, corners transitioning to safety (or female), is there?

OP
OP
uncle fester

uncle fester

Reaction score
I dunno, hard hitting, football-smart player that sees plays before the ball is snapped, too slow now to play corner but still has the smarts to cover RBs and most TEs on short patterns?

Exittium

Reaction score
Imo, Having him again I would hope bring back that "Spark" that was missing this year on defense. you know the "you hit them, they hit you harder. Get in you face they get back in yours. Anything you can do they can do.. better"

"A hit 1st ask questions later defense"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":1mnmvbbr said:
One of my favorites of this era of Hawk football.

His best days are behind him and I'm not sure where he would fit, but he'd certainly bring some of that bully identity back with him.

Then again, he never was fast and was always grabby but he still fit in nicely here. Something about Hawk DBs being homegrown and playing their best with the Hawks.

I still recall when he came from across the field, chased Peterson down and stopped him from scoring, so there is that.
Singularly though, he wasn't shifty-quick enough (like Thomas) to be left to cover too big an area.

He Thomas and Chancellor helped to drastically cut down on available space for the opposition to catch balls, and Sherman didn't have to spread out to help cover for deficiencies like he did in 49, and this last Season.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kobebryant":2pxk4ihi said:
RichNhansom":2pxk4ihi said:

I could be wrong but I don't believe pot and peds fall under the same policy and count as concurrent strikes.

No they are separate but these were separate instances of lack of judgement.

They forgave him after the PED test and he became a leader and example for everyone that the Seahawks will reward you if you do the right things. He lost any credibility of having learned his lesson when even after the voluntary bonus he got he decided to smoke pot. Pretty dumb really.

Unfortunate too. I loved his story and how he played for us but he threw it away.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ship has sailed, he helped establish our attitude but has got older and now is a target for the officials and every coach makes sure they watch him. Good luck going forward but he would be better as a safety now I think anyway.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":24ux6205 said:
Basis4day":24ux6205 said:
pehawk":24ux6205 said:
uncle fester":24ux6205 said:

True...there's no examples of aging, physical, corners transitioning to safety (or female), is there?

The ones you're thinking of are likely HOF caliber players. Browner isn't that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":2ykv7for said:
uncle fester":2ykv7for said:

Exactly, He hit harder than anyone this side of Kam Chancellor. Being able to play off of the line would help him out with his speed declining. Hell if Roman Harper can still play safety, Browner can.

King Dog

Reaction score
We looked soft this year. Bring him back and let him compete for a job. No harm, no foul if it doesn't work out.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
He could mess up a TE or receiver at the LOS then rush the passer, like every play.

I'd bring him back for that.