Field Issues....

OLYhawks

Reaction score
I've got a couple of things here.

I understand natural turf, I honestly prefer it. It's what the game was built on and I get that. But, we've evolved as humans and we're more athletic now.

I personally think all fields should be synthetic. I know we're not all going to agree on this. But so many season ending, even career ending injuries have been contributed to poor turf.

My second thing I'd like to talk about is this. You hear throughout the game players changing their cleats on natural turf. How do they NOT know the turf conditions before game time? Shouldn't they be prepared before game time? Shouldn't they be taking some hard cuts on that turf before game time to test it?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was just telling my Broncos neighbor that I think all fields should be Field Turf, period. These crappy fields in a multi-billion-dollar sport is mind-boggling to me.

The Seahawks have implemented Field Turf when the stadium was built in 2002 and there has never been a single problem with field conditions in the past 14 years.

253hawk

Reaction score
I've see way too many CFB and NFL games lately where even though the grass looks great, players are slipping all over the place and it's just becoming too frequent of a factor. If you have pristine conditions and Minnesota's turf in negative temperatures looked better, there's something very wrong.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
There have been reported health concerns with field turf. Not sure where that currently stands. Look it up.

I definitely see the point about it, though. 2 of my boys play football (one high school) and I think I'd rather take our chances with field turf than some of the lousy field conditions they've had to play on. I was seriously concerned at one game. The field was unacceptable. He's a RB and was down grabbing at his knee on a couple of occasions. I wanted to jump out of the bleachers and just tell the coach to pull him out for the game. My goodness.

drdiags

Reaction score
Aros":38nziizb said:
The Seahawks have implemented Field Turf when the stadium was built in 2002 and there has never been a single problem with field conditions in the past 14 years.

Well except for that monsoon on Thursday night against the 9ers when they had Alex Smith starting. I remember the game being delayed as the field was trying to float away ... hee hee ... I know, I will show myself out.

NINEster

Reaction score
FieldTurf is for modern teams that joined the league right around or after the AFL-NFL merger.

Grass is for legacy teams (PITT, GB, SF, MIA).

Marvin49

Reaction score
No freakin' way to Field Turf. The grass game up a bit here and there during the game, but players and coaches said afterward that the field was great. They just needed a longer cleat.

Somehow, somewhere some people (on this forum in particular) got in in their head that somehow field turf was safer.

I think that's ludicrous. Field Turf doesn't give nearly as well as natural grass.

Another poster here said something about "cheap" fields...that's not even close to being true. Grass fields are MORE EXPENSIVE then Field Turf. Why? Because the field will be resodded several times a year. Teams that elect to go with grass fields do so at great expense because they think its BETTER and safer that artificial turf. It is NOT because its cheaper. Not by a longshot.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Teams/Players always go with the shortest cleats they can get away with on grass, because it allows them to be quicker on the field. This happens often and is hardly unusual. They can't figure out how their choice will go until they are actually playing at game speed/conditions.

chris98251

Reaction score
Field was a disaster, clumps coming up all over, the stage was small at halftime and most the field was being used for the show and further damaged, crews were out replacing divots before teams came out. Yeah great condition, spikes would have to be that of a pole climber to not slip, Manning slipping when setting up on that one fumble. I will say both teams had the same problem though, everyone slip and sliding.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1x1l7ejd said:
Field was a disaster, clumps coming up all over, the stage was small at halftime and most the field was being used for the show and further damaged, crews were out replacing divots before teams came out. Yeah great condition, spikes would have to be that of a pole climber to not slip, Manning slipping when setting up on that one fumble. I will say both teams had the same problem though, everyone slip and sliding.

Meanwhile...

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows · 11h11 hours ago
Von Miller said he changed cleats but the Levi's Stadium field was "great." "As the game went on, I just needed a little more support."

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN · 13h13 hours ago
Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he had no problems with the Levi's Stadium field conditions. He called it "outstanding."

People think when they see little chunks of grass or a player slipping here and there because their cleats are too short that the "field is a disaster".

Its freakin' grass people. Its what the game was meant to be played on. Levi's has had issues with the turf, no question, but now every sigle time somebody falls down its WAY, WAY overblown.

Field held up.

The NFL took over the stadium a MONTH ago. That was a field put in by George Toma.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/696358194822541312[/tweet]

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
The MVP of the game thought the field was great, Brandon McManus said the field was awesome. Of course as the game goes in an that dewy ocean air makes the field a little damp but if you watched Micheal Ore slide like six feet back not s piece of the field came up. It was just naturally damp. That field and the entire stadium was as beautiful as any super bowl ever held. Just wish the Niners had been playing in it. It gives you hope that there is a real fan experience there. That is can be loud and rowdy. I was impressed with the stadium a fans last night

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":1gw4lbtc said:
The MVP of the game thought the field was great, Brandon McManus said the field was awesome. Of course as the game goes in an that dewy ocean air makes the field a little damp but if you watched Micheal Ore slide like six feet back not s piece of the field came up. It was just naturally damp. That field and the entire stadium was as beautiful as any super bowl ever held. Just wish the Niners had been playing in it. It gives you hope that there is a real fan experience there. That is can be loud and rowdy. I was impressed with the stadium a fans last night

Stick to the law blog, bob.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2ybl6naf said:
Bob Loblaw":2ybl6naf said:

Stick to the law blog, bob.

Why? He's right.

By almost all accounts the stadium was fantastic last night. Even Bay Area radio hosts out here who loved Candlestick and hate Levi's had to give it up last night.

Largent80

Reaction score
While grass is what the nfl was designed to be played on, part of the reason is THERE WAS NO FIELD TURF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there is and it is vastly superior to grass, it's not even arguable.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Largent80":3qr8fymn said:
While grass is what the nfl was designed to be played on, part of the reason is THERE WAS NO FIELD TURF !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there is and it is vastly superior to grass, it's not even arguable.

Yes. It is.

Field Turf has come a long, long way, but IMO grass is better. Much better. I don't want Field Turf.

From 2011:

http://landscapemanagement.net/nfl-play ... till-best/

"In the 2010 player survey, 69.4% of the players prefer grass to 14.3% who prefer an artificial surface with 9% indicating no preference.

When asked if they believe that artificial surfaces are more likely to contribute to injury, 82.4% say yes while 89.1% feel artificial surfaces cause more soreness and fatigue, and 89.7% feel artificial surfaces are more likely to shorten their playing careers."

From 2015:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/01/nfl-st ... s-rankings

Only 3 of the top 20 are Artificial Turf and ALL of the top 12 are grass...including teams like the Chiefs who made the switch from turf to Grass.

From 2014:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-l ... KT20120914

"But the new study found anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries, in particular, happened at a higher rate on the artificial surfaces."

I think peeps on this board only love turf because the the Clink has it...and thats it.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Marvin49":3cfac82v said:
chris98251":3cfac82v said:

Meanwhile...

Von Miller said he changed cleats but the Levi's Stadium field was "great." "As the game went on, I just needed a little more support."

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he had no problems with the Levi's Stadium field conditions. He called it "outstanding."

People think when they see little chunks of grass or a player slipping here and there because their cleats are too short that the "field is a disaster".

Its freakin' grass people. Its what the game was meant to be played on. Levi's has had issues with the turf, no question, but now every sigle time somebody falls down its WAY, WAY overblown.

Field held up.

The NFL took over the stadium a MONTH ago. That was a field put in by George Toma.

Interesting, i will have to watch the tape as I dont remember Ron Rivera suiting up yesterday.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":23q343fz said:
Marvin49":23q343fz said:
chris98251":23q343fz said:

Meanwhile...

Field held up.

Interesting, i will have to watch the tape as I dont remember Ron Rivera suiting up yesterday.

Wow. That was pretty weak.

The MVP of the game and the opposing HC say it was great, but clearly ionternet couch potatoes know better.

mrt144

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":83eqz4s6 said:

Dewy Ocean Air? That's santa clara dude. More like layer of vehicular smog.