I am absolutely certain Russell Wilson...

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
...would have recovered that ball if he were in Cam Newton's shoes. He would have made the correct decision to go instinctively without second guessing, would have leapt in desperation, and would have mauled, clawed, and gathered that ball (if not jump up and throw it for a 35 yard completion downfield afterwards!!! ;-) )

I have no doubt he would have put himself in harm's way for the team. You have to be wondering what Cam Newton's teammates must be thinking about their 6'5" 250 lbs "Superman" right now.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
That's the issue with star QBs out of college. Cam was the hero who would be a star for years and that went to his head. Same with Luck who was even more heralded out of college, he's played well but never really at the level people were expecting him. Manziel is probably the biggest example. Heisman winner and #1 pick taking everything for granted. He failed in the NFL because of a massive lack of effort.

Then see Russ. Amazing QB in college but was looked at with lots of doubts because of his height. He never got the recognition he deserved and worked even harder because of it. He has played amazingly for 4 years and better each year. Same as Brady, nobody expected anything but he proved the experts wrong and stayed on top for his entire career.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3aegyru8 said:
That's the issue with star QBs out of college. Cam was the hero who would be a star for years and that went to his head. Same with Luck who was even more heralded out of college, he's played well but never really at the level people were expecting him. Manziel is probably the biggest example. Heisman winner and #1 pick taking everything for granted. He failed in the NFL because of a massive lack of effort.

Then see Russ. Amazing QB in college but was looked at with lots of doubts because of his height. He never got the recognition he deserved and worked even harder because of it. He has played amazingly for 4 years and better each year. Same as Brady, nobody expected anything but he proved the experts wrong and stayed on top for his entire career.

I literally do not think Russell going #1 overall in 2012 would make any difference to how he plays the game. He's just a good dude who goes for that ball 100/100.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Not sure if he would have actually recovered but he at least would have not jumped back like a little girls seeing a spider.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":n7ab1p69 said:
Not sure if he would have actually recovered but he at least would have not jumped back like a little girls seeing a spider.

Oh god...please please please someone with some photoshop skills please make a gif of Cam doing this!!!!!

Wizofwest

Reaction score
The desire to continue and develop vs. satisfied with making it to the NFL is within each person. A player feeling slighted at the draft can be a motivating factor toward a players development, but for those that are perfectionists, as Wilson is, strive to become the best and put in the work regardless of where they are drafted.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Some people around the office were trying to excuse Cam for not diving for it. I said "Maybe I'm just spoiled, but Russell Wilson would immediately dive for that ball 100% of the time, no questions asked."

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Optimus25":2a16b16e said:
Vancanhawksfan":2a16b16e said:
Year of The Hawk":2a16b16e said:

Oh god...please please please someone with some photoshop skills please make a gif of Cam doing this!!!!!

Go here

http://prosportsrecreation.com/thread/1 ... ble?page=1

xFCYpAp.gif

MVP53

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2dvxctxm said:

Not recovered it? He would have picked it up, jumped over a couple defenders, then threw it on the run 30 yards downfield to a wide open Doug Baldwin. :th2thumbs:

jblaze

Reaction score
Russ would have gotten that fumble, no question.

Cam bitched out and gave up on the play.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1hfmrbyc said:
Overseasfan":1hfmrbyc said:

I literally do not think Russell going #1 overall in 2012 would make any difference to how he plays the game. He's just a good dude who goes for that ball 100/100.

Russ is a special guy but even he would be affected by winning the Heisman and going #1. That's a big burden and people constantly saying you're the best thing since bacon would impact anyone, even Russ.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by how much of a SuperBowl hangover the Panthers will have next year. Sure, it won't be apparent because they live in a weak division, but looking at how that team lives and dies with Cam, and how he pouts and has trouble handling adversity, well it's going to be interesting.

Pete acknowledged that we had a hangover for the first half of this year. What will the Panthers have ?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Cam was the closest to the ball, he should have kicked the damn thing. 10 yard penalty, I think there is another penalty for egregious kicks that prevent the opposing team from recovering but none of those penalties would have lost them possession. Regardless, he could have and should have kicked that thing away - ideally out of bounds.

Russ would have somehow picked the ball up, spun around, evaded two guys and then heaved a long pass that busts for a TD. He always gets those miracle plays.

But Cam didn't need a miracle, he just needed not to be stupid.

When I first saw it, I thought he didn't want to dive on the ball because he probably would have hyperextended or broken Ware's arm. But then I realized that Cam is a narcissist so he probably wouldn't care about anyone else, it was just because he didn't want to get hurt or didn't want to expend the effort.

Quorthon13

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2he9pwx3 said:

Love the quote.... My daughters reacted about the same yesterday when they found a big spider. ;-0

Although whoever edited the video to have him jumping back from the trophy was funny too(it was in one of the links)

byau

Reaction score
Russell also would not have quit.

It's like last season when the Seahawks went into the Panthers home and beat them. Cam could have made one last drive come back but had already quit.

My buddies and I watching the game: we all agreed well before the end of the game Cam had already quit.

Not sure if this is a statement on Cam or on Russ or both. Russell is pretty special in his own right, not many QBs would have come back to win the NFC Championship last year. Then again maybe it's a statement on the Hawks. Not many defenses will not quit on a play and chase down a sure touchdown and turn it into a touchback.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Would Newton have put his body on the line and tackled Greg Hardy after a turnover like Russ did vs. Dallas this year?
That play prevented a sure TD and likely meant the difference between a W and an L.

I believe the answer is "no". And maybe the bigger question is how strongly will this affect his teamates' willingness to "go to war" with him?