Jahri Evans cut by Saints

kearly

Reaction score
This lends some credence to the rumor that Unger is a possible cap casualty as well.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":24oyovn8 said:
This lends some credence to the rumor that Unger is a possible cap casualty as well.

Can't help but wonder if Seattle looks for FA additions to bolster interior.

Seattle is pretty good at solving one need via UFA and the others via draft. If Seattle were to go Evans/Unger (either or both), that would allow them to aggressively pursue DL or OT. And still give them the ability to go after interior guys in R3/4 where a lot of the value is in this class. So that by 2017 these projects (along with Sokoli and still perhaps Nowak) have sufficient time in the system to enter the lineup fully functional.

Whomever they draft for the interior OL -- if you presume that Cable speaks truth that he has to retool/retrain all rookies, then Seattle likely doesn't get acceptable performance of anyone they draft this year until the very end of the season. I think the experience of this past season should make that prospect untenable.

sutz

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2p5ny5n1 said:
kearly":2p5ny5n1 said:

Seattle is pretty good at solving one need via UFA and the others via draft. If Seattle were to go Evans/Unger (either or both), that would allow them to aggressively pursue DL or OT. And still give them the ability to go after interior guys in R3/4 where a lot of the value is in this class. So that by 2017 these projects (along with Sokoli and still perhaps Nowak) have sufficient time in the system to enter the lineup fully functional.

Whomever they draft for the interior OL -- if you presume that Cable speaks truth that he has to retool/retrain all rookies, then Seattle likely doesn't get acceptable performance of anyone they draft this year until the very end of the season. I think the experience of this past season should make that prospect untenable.
Would not surprise me if they look to FA to boost the o-line. However, I'm not sure it is exactly how you posted. I think they handle known problem in FA to the extent they can based on the salary cap. This allows for more flexibility in the draft. Basically, I guess I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if they both bring in FA's and also draft someone high, if he is the BPA according to their metrics.

An another note, David Hawthorne is an interesting name. ;) Possible depth signing late in his career? IDK how well he has been playing lately, but I seem to remember he was decent depth when he was here before.

Erebus

Reaction score
sutz":sr96ijc6 said:
An another note, David Hawthorne is an interesting name. ;) Possible depth signing late in his career? IDK how well he has been playing lately, but I seem to remember he was decent depth when he was here before.

Hawthorne is too slow for our system.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawks have to sign at least two OL pre-draft, or risk telegraphing their intent draft day. And I'm confident they will...its how they do.

This offseason will be to OL what 2012 offseason was to DL.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":fki5dpgl said:
Attyla the Hawk":fki5dpgl said:
kearly":fki5dpgl said:

Would not surprise me if they look to FA to boost the o-line. However, I'm not sure it is exactly how you posted. I think they handle known problem in FA to the extent they can based on the salary cap. This allows for more flexibility in the draft. Basically, I guess I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if they both bring in FA's and also draft someone high, if he is the BPA according to their metrics.

Agreed. They'll bring in at least one street FA to add some vet presence on the interior. It also gives them flexibility with Sweezy's contract.

The one thing Schneider has done as far as draft strategy is shore up holes with value FA additions, leaving us to chase BPA additions. When you look at some of those signings, it's amazing what they've done and what they get.

The best example would be Wagner. We were able to draft him in the 2nd (which some people actually saw as a reach) because we had signed Matt Flynn, which meant we could wait for Wilson to fall to the 2nd. If we only had Jackson on the roster at QB, there's no way Pete would've talked John into waiting until the 3rd round to draft Wilson.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":3g6svlyl said:
Hawks have to sign at least two OL pre-draft, or risk telegraphing their intent draft day. And I'm confident they will...its how they do.

This offseason will be to OL what 2012 offseason was to DL.
You always make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. Sure hope you're rigjht about this.

Signing Evans would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside as well.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Absolutely Schneider and company should kick the tires on a guard like Evans. If he's still got tread on the tires, he would instantly upgrade the interior of that line. Think about it -- the Hawks could sign Evans AND Unger if he's cut loose as well for basically the same price tag they dished out for Marshawn Lynch alone this past year. If it's possible to make it work cap-wise at those numbers, heck yeah I'd do that in a heartbeat.

knownone

Reaction score
Does Evans have anything left in the tank? That's my concern, we all know the name, but can he still play.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
He's 32 years old and missed five games in the middle of the year following arthroscopic knee surgery. He's also three years removed from being an All Pro. (I don't give much consideration to Pro Bowls considering about 700 players were named to this year's pro bowl teams). Steve Hutchinson played until he was 35 and made five All Pro teams, but it became very debatable how effective he was in Minnesota the last couple of years.

Having said that, if he is still healthy enough to play for a year or two it's worth a deal. Especially if you can get him in the $3.5 to $4 million range. Honestly I'd rather have Evans at that price than Sweezy. Plus at 32 he'd bring a level of leadership to that line that it DESPARETLY needs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He's 32 so on the down side of his career .. I suppose as a cheap plug-in he'd work, but then we have this same problem next year too.

I'd rather go all out and bring in Alex Boone .. but not sure how likely that is considering the comp picks thing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Too old!

I'd love to see Alex Boone, who'd be familiar with the division, and who'd solve the LG position instantly.