Can Denver get back to Super Bowl 51?

Greenhell

Reaction score
We know the repercussions of winning a championship. Lots of guys wanting to get paid and many leave for the bigger payday. Denver has, I believe, 17 FA this year with Von Miller more than likely absorbing a huge chunk of money. Everyone know's he's got to be their offseason priority. Is Denver's front office as smart as JS/PC and can they keep their core together for another run?

I don't see it happening.

kearly

Reaction score
The key for Denver is addressing the QB position. They also need to address OL, RB, and TE. I don't think keeping their FA will be too hard. The real challenge will be acquiring the right guys for a Kubiak offense.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":2qnq90zz said:
Is Denver's front office as smart as JS/PC and can they keep their core together for another run?

Well, they were smart enough to get back after retooling from an offensive team to a defensive team within 2 years.

Replacing Manning and developing a running game will be crucial.

Alexander

Reaction score
I can't see it unless they somehow managed to massively upgrade the QB position. Defensive performance tends to vary a lot from year to year, and while I still expect their D to be very good next year, it's extremely unlikely they'll be historically good like they were this year. Regression to the mean is a powerful force. Of course, their offense will probably also regress to the mean, i.e., improve marginally, but not enough to make up for the defense coming back down to earth. Upgrading the QB position would give them a shot, but I don't see who they could bring in that would make a big difference. Osweiler is probably better than Manning at this point (he can actually throw a football), but he's still not very good, and I think he's a free agent this offseason.

Rebuilding that offense will take a few years, so I could see them contending for 52 or 53 if they keep the defense more-or-less together, but I don't see them repeating next year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
People are way too quick to dismiss Osweiler as nothing more than a backup. I'm interested to see how he does with a full offseason and an offense formulated for him. He would be a starter on at least 14 teams in the NFL.

-bsd

Smellyman

Reaction score
bigskydoc":239lnbps said:
People are way too quick to dismiss Osweiler as nothing more than a backup. I'm interested to see how he does with a full offseason and an offense formulated for him. He would be a starter on at least 14 teams in the NFL.

-bsd

They have to resign Osweiler too. I don't follow cap stuff, but it seems like after there crazy money spending on D recently they may be in trouble? Osweiler is even going to demand a good chunk of change.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Von Miller is going to be a big hit on the cap, but he will be worth every penny.

I don't think they make it. Salk tried to say that Denver would have won the Superbowl with Brock behind center. I say no way.

Brock can't recognize defenses like Peyton, nor make the correct call out of them.

Peyton almost made an interception or two or three. Ossweiler would have completed those INTs and the Superbowl MVP would have been Luke Kuechly.

Rob12

Reaction score
If they keep most of that defense intact - absolutely. I don't know what Manning's dead cap hit is but that's going to free up some cash.

They're built to last with that defense and their offense will be better with Osweiler.

olyfan63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":dzykrhp1 said:
-bsd

IIRC, Denver did go 5-2 with Osweiler and Osweiler also completed a nice comeback wins over Cincinnati and New England. Not too shabby.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Greenhell":2aute16r said:
We know the repercussions of winning a championship. Lots of guys wanting to get paid and many leave for the bigger payday. Denver has, I believe, 17 FA this year with Von Miller more than likely absorbing a huge chunk of money. Everyone know's he's got to be their offseason priority. Is Denver's front office as smart as JS/PC and can they keep their core together for another run?

Sure they could. Not likely but possible. But winning it again? Not happening because Carolina, Green Bay and Seattle have what Denver will hoping Oswieller can be under long term contract no less, in the case of Green Bay and Seattle.

chris98251

Reaction score
Denver could if the solidify their QB next year going forward, probably not next season but the season after they will make another push, the AFC West is going to be much tougher to win with Chiefs and the Raiders improving also.

GB goes as far as Rogers and the offense, the turmoil there could ultimately tear them apart though and they drop from the elite.

Carolina may not lose pieces, but the damage mentally done to Cam and the team and his leadership regardless of what the spin is in the media .

Patriots will be in the running as always.

Seahawks, we need to solidify our line and find a bruiser back again, Rawls is shifty and has power but isn't a bruiser, Michael if brought back is more a slasher even for his size, broad base quick feet lateral movement back, I don't care if it's a name but he has to be a pile mover.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":256qbd8p said:
Denver could if the solidify their QB next year going forward, probably not next season but the season after they will make another push, the AFC West is going to be much tougher to win with Chiefs and the Raiders improving also.

GB goes as far as Rogers and the offense, the turmoil there could ultimately tear them apart though and they drop from the elite.

Carolina may not lose pieces, but the damage mentally done to Cam and the team and his leadership regardless of what the spin is in the media .

Seahawks, we need to solidify our line and find a bruiser back again, Rawls is shifty and has power but isn't a bruiser, Michael if brought back is more a slasher even for his size, broad base quick feet lateral movement back, I don't care if it's a name but he has to be a pile mover.
Or they go the way they have already more then hinted at and put the focus on Wilson. Which would be the obvious and smart move. Spend in FA for interior OL and reload the defense in the draft.

And pick up another scrub like Rawls from AM/PM or Safeway or Brazil. It worked once right? Seriously, get an actual average OL and we roll.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3dmegcv9 said:
chris98251":3dmegcv9 said:

Or they go the way they have already more then hinted at and put the focus on Wilson. Which would be the obvious and smart move. Spend in FA for interior OL and reload the defense in the draft.

And pick up another sub like Rawls from AM/PM or Safeway or Brazil. It worked once right?

Rawls lists Central Michigan where he came from, he transferred.

This is his bio going into Michigan.

Rawls graduated from Flint Northern in Flint, Michigan, where his coaches nicknamed him "The Train". As a running back for Flint Northern High School,[1] he averaged more than 10 yards per carry, totaling 1,585 yards on 150 carries with 59 touchdowns in his senior season. He rushed for a record 458 yards and eight touchdowns against Bay City Western, breaking a Flint record set by Heisman Trophy winner, Mark Ingram.[2] He was a unanimous All-State selection,[3] was named Most Valuable Player in the Saginaw Valley League,[4] and Player of the Year on The Flint Journal's All-Area Team,[5] and was one of the most highly-recruited players in Michigan.[

He was doing well and something happened where he fell out of favor there and ended up transferring.

As I said Michigan has a shrine almost to their running back heritage, it's not will you be great it's you will be great at Michigan. In pre season you could see the difference in how he ran even with limited carries in my eyes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Chris, come on man. You know I know Rawls is the real deal but you have to also know that the offense will run through Wilson not Rawls or some mythical Lynch replacement we happen to draft this year. It's all about Wilson---Baldwin---Lockett---Graham. With Rawls making sure we're in non-ridiculous situations IF we actually fix the actual issue, interior OL. Russell Wilson is exactly like Drew Brees but mobile, give him a strong interior and he will be the next Tom Brady but better.

Then you do the usual be like Denver and get a pass rush like we always try to do. Really it's fairly simple. It's like an rpg called Shadowrun where the goal is "geek the mage". We'll in the NFL the goal is be capable of scoring 30+ points and "geek the quarterback". Basically the exact same end goal.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mizz we will never be a pure passing team under Pete, Brees was most successful when he had a running game to respect and a defense that got the ball on short fields. There is a reason the Saints have not challenged recently.

Yes we need to fix the line, but fixing the line to run effectively as well as to not get Wilson killed. You have to look at Cables history with his lines, he doesn't focus on pass protection but creating zones to run in. As long as he is in control of the line and running game this will be our emphasis, also it's part of Petes philosophy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Well something better change because you don't pay your quarterback 20+ million to not pass the ball at least 30 times a game. And that is all you need to be balanced. Pete wants that not a run heavy team and Wilson is ready for it and they've actually built the offense for it. Trust me.

OP
OP
Greenhell

Greenhell

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2olfmnkf said:
Greenhell":2olfmnkf said:

Sure they could. Not likely but possible. But winning it again? Not happening because Carolina, Green Bay and Seattle have what Denver will hoping Oswieller can be under long term contract no less, in the case of Green Bay and Seattle.

:th2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think the Broncos can get back, but I absolutely wouldn't bet on it.

If you look at how they structured the team in relation to contracts and the cap, they were built to win the SB this year, and they did, so hats off to them.

I think their ceiling is that they are able to retain some of their more important pieces, and get really lucky and absolutely nail the tail end of the FA market.

I think their floor is is realizing two or three years from now that rather than trying to reload they should have been rebuilding.

Hubris is a really b***h in these types of scenarios, and I seriously don't think anyone in that organization has the wisdom to realize that they'd be better off with a rebuild than a reload.

Greenhell":253tz47s said:
Is Denver's front office as smart as JS/PC and can they keep their core together for another run?

I don't think "smarts" has anything to do with it. They just went on a two year "get back and win a Super Bowl now" binge and totally pulled it off. You can't criticize them for their strategy working, IMO.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
No. Osweiler won't be able to take them back. If they had an elite running back, it's a possibility considering their D. But they won't be able to keep everyone. Maybe the big name guys but they will lose key role players. We saw it happen to us after 48. Maybe they'll be back in a couple years after Osweiler develops and they draft/sign an actual rb but not this next year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't think they're even the favorites in their own division, much less winning the conference.

Osweiler stinks and they have NO running game and their OL is actually a mess. The Broncos went all-in basically after the SB48 demolition and Elway got his ring. They'll be in the mix for playoff berths but don't see their Super Bowl window being very wide.