Tax Advantage

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I never really thought about this but Seattle is at a huge advantage (with Texas, Florida and Tenessee teams) over other team because of their lack of a state income tax. Despite the fact that there is a sales tax - that won't affect athletes nearly as much as it is a regressive tax.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpagels/2 ... 7f6eb56fea

Just interesting that our lower salary values may not be quite as low when considering the tax implications of playing here compared to California or New York.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What you say is true but only affects the home schedule.

My understanding is away games are taxed by the respective states.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Are you sure that can't be contacted out by the language of the players contract?

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2ypcv65e said:

http://www.prosportstax.com/Images/Atta ... e0a858.pdf

http://www.accountingweb.com/tax/sales- ... ugh-tackle

Partially true - 2 days pay from the weekly game check is paid in the state where the game was played. The rest in the home state. Also, any other pay (workouts, signing bonuses etc) would be taxed within the home state.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":28s6e899 said:
I never really thought about this but Seattle is at a huge advantage (with Texas, Florida and Tenessee teams) over other team because of their lack of a state income tax. Despite the fact that there is a sales tax - that won't affect athletes nearly as much as it is a regressive tax.

Just interesting that our lower salary values may not be quite as low when considering the tax implications of playing here compared to California or New York.

No income tax here in Texas. There is a sales tax and a rather steep property tax.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Yes, game checks vary greatly depending on the state you are playing in.

Want to get into the darker side of sports? Ask athletes which states are the best to get injured in.
L & I claims are processed through the state you get injured in as well.
I talked to someone 10-15 years ago and they said that (I believe it was) Arizona was a great state to go out on injury in.
Laws change but you'll see patterns of players in all sports going down in certain cities.
It's obviously different for teams with good records as opposed to bad records and how important a player is to a team.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
TheHawkster":kd81hv19 said:

Want to get into the darker side of sports? Ask athletes which states are the best to get injured in.
I talked to someone 10-15 years ago and they said that (I believe it was) Arizona was a great state to go out on injury in.
Laws change but you'll see patterns of players in all sports going down in certain cities.
It's obviously different for teams with good records as opposed to bad records and how important a player is to a team.
I don't understand what you mean when you say there's a pattern in that players get injured in certain cities? When you're injured, you're injured ... pretty cut and dried. Are you suggesting players are faking injury in certain cities to get better compensation?

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
bigDhawk":t33wvhw8 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":t33wvhw8 said:

No income tax here in Texas. There is a sales tax and a rather steep property tax.

I did mention Texas, Florida and Tennessee.

Yeah I figured these states have other means of generating income. Tennesee has a luxury tax for each game for each player of $2,500.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":390objic said:
TheHawkster":390objic said:

I don't understand what you mean when you say there's a pattern in that players get injured in certain cities? When you're injured, you're injured ... pretty cut and dried. Are you suggesting players are faking injury in certain cities to get better compensation?

Nobody is healthy in the NFL after a few games in.
I remember Michael Boulware talking with Mitch Levy about being healthy all year.
Michael said "It's Wednesday and it hurt to pick up my milk at breakfast. That's healthy in the league."

Players are just like any of us in the working world. You might be banged up but still working and trying to get through something.
What I'm saying is there are places where athletes say enough is enough faster than other places.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2ar3su7i said:
I never really thought about this but Seattle is at a huge advantage (with Texas, Florida and Tenessee teams) over other team because of their lack of a state income tax.
When Hutch signed with the Vikings, I checked the state taxes in MN. His $49M became $45M and change, because the state income tax was around $4 Million.

(snicker)

A

Anonymous

I'm moving this one in here as it is not directly Seahawks related.

:thcoffee:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2hsuzx5b said:

They are, but it's a one day pro-rated amount of one game check...........or something to that effect.

But states take into account total annual income, so I still think the player takes the full hit on the state income tax, regardless of out of state taxes.

Either way, it's a big deal and definitely something players take into account when choosing where to play. If they say different, they're lying.

pehawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2p05ojoa said:
I'm moving this one in here as it is not directly Seahawks related.

:thcoffee:

Thank goodness.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BlueTalon":6popm5x1 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":6popm5x1 said:
I never really thought about this but Seattle is at a huge advantage (with Texas, Florida and Tenessee teams) over other team because of their lack of a state income tax.
When Hutch signed with the Vikings, I checked the state taxes in MN. His $49M became $45M and change, because the state income tax was around $4 Million.

(snicker)
Huck Futch.

My nick for him has always been "Hutchitraitor".

SeaJax

Reaction score
This should explain why Irvin is willing to take a "hometown" discount staying in Seattle. If he signs with Atlanta like many suspect, the state of Georgia has a 6% state income tax. Without doing the math, 8 games a year in Atlanta instead of Seattle over the life of 3 plus years could equal a couple million over the life of the deal.

He is basically saying he'll stay in Seattle if everything is equal.

Rambitious

Reaction score
California has a large State income tax, so in that context the 49ers, Rams, Chargers and Raiders would be at a bit of a disadvantage.

However, the Rams now being in Los Angeles might now be able to offset that with L.A./Hollywood etc., endorsement deals. :p