Franchising Cousins is the right move, huh?

pehawk

Reaction score
Interesting situation.

IMO, given the short sample size, franchising him is absolutely the right move if Cousins is asking for Top 15 type QB money. Agree?

Personally, I think Jay Gruden should be given more of the credit than Cousins. But that's immaterial.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3u9xh3k6 said:
Probably.

Otherwise He's about to have the worst contract in the nfl.

Maybe it's the drugs but I'm failing to come up with a parallel for this situation.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They could also do a deal like the one karpernick got, where the guaranteed money is all up front and then it's easy to cut him in a few years without much dead cap space. Probably easier in the salary cap then carrying the $20 mil franchise tag.

Then be gets paid, the redskins get a little cap relief, and you put off the decision if he's the long term answer for a couple more years.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ya. Make him prove it--he still hasnt done anything against a good defense, or, on the road for that matter. But you can't risk losing him.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":17mutlbe said:
They could also do a deal like the one karpernick got, where the guaranteed money is all up front and then it's easy to cut him in a few years without much dead cap space. Probably easier in the salary cap then carrying the $20 mil franchise tag.

Then be gets paid, the redskins get a little cap relief, and you put off the decision if he's the long term answer for a couple more years.

It was my understanding Kap's contract was year to year anyway.

Erebus

Reaction score
pehawk":1v9btfnb said:
JSeahawks":1v9btfnb said:
Probably.

Maybe it's the drugs but I'm failing to come up with a parallel for this situation.

I can't give you a parallel for the situation, but maybe for the player. Maybe it's just me, but I get a 2003-04 Matt Hasselbeck vibe from Cousins. I have no stats to back this up. Cousins numbers in 2015 were better than Hasselbeck's back then, but they seem like the same kind of QB at the same stage of their careers. I think we would've franchised Hasselbeck if we couldn't work out a deal and Jones and Alexander weren't also free agents at the same time.

Cousins' numbers support him getting franchised. He hasn't earned a long term deal yet because he's only done it once. The franchise tag will be $18.5M. Playing around with the calculator on overthecap.com, it looks like cutting RG3 and franchising Cousins will leave them with $11M in cap space. Considering all their other pending free agents, they may have to cut some other guys for more flexibility.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Erebus":emmyexzw said:
pehawk":emmyexzw said:
JSeahawks":emmyexzw said:
Probably.

I can't give you a parallel for the situation, but maybe for the player. Maybe it's just me, but I get a 2003-04 Matt Hasselbeck vibe from Cousins. I have no stats to back this up. Cousins numbers in 2015 were better than Hasselbeck's back then, but they seem like the same kind of QB at the same stage of their careers. I think we would've franchised Hasselbeck if we couldn't work out a deal and Jones and Alexander weren't also free agents at the same time.

Cousins' numbers support him getting franchised. He hasn't earned a long term deal yet because he's only done it once. The franchise tag will be $18.5M. Playing around with the calculator on overthecap.com, it looks like cutting RG3 and franchising Cousins will leave them with $11M in cap space. Considering all their other pending free agents, they may have to cut some other guys for more flexibility.

I've often pegged Cousin's as a poor mans Hass, so I can see it.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
pehawk":bthdf3zc said:
JSeahawks":bthdf3zc said:
Probably.

Hmm. Maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick before Buffalo extended him? Or Matt Cassel in New England (from the perspective of Kansas City)?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2ph0twt2 said:
pehawk":2ph0twt2 said:
JSeahawks":2ph0twt2 said:
Probably.

Hmm. Maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick before Buffalo extended him? Or Matt Cassel in New England (from the perspective of Kansas City)?

Where it was wise to franchise the player, specifically. But the on field comparison is appropos.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Market for a QB that could be the franchise is pretty hot this year, he has leverage.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Washington would be dumb not to franchise him. Let him prove it again, then get the payday.

If they decide not to, I wonder if Snyder makes a call to New Orleans for Brees.

kearly

Reaction score
Franchising Cousins makes all the sense in the world for Washington. No doubt they are lowballing him in long term contract talks right now because they feel so comfortable going to the tag.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2titz2ny said:
Franchising Cousins makes all the sense in the world for Washington. No doubt they are lowballing him in long term contract talks right now because they feel so comfortable going to the tag.

What a difference a Scot makes. We have a thread about how the Skins are in a great negotiating position.

I love that drunk SOB.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
At least he has more track record than Rob Johnson. Or Kolb.
When the guy get paid, it will be because of outside market forces. 17, 18 mil a year, not because he is great, but because the Texans, Rams, Eagles, etc will pay him even more.

I really kind of like that the franchise tag can be a punishment for teams that don't extend up and comers soon enough. Vets hate the the tag, not enough guaranteed money in that single year, but for a guy like Cousins the tag is a good way to leverage guaranteed money out of a team. A 4th rounder who had to climb out from under a first rounder's shadow, who will laugh at the team saying they couldn't extend him sooner because they did not know what they had in him until they saw it on the field, who they simply cannot let hit free agency because he will be paid by someone else, getting the franchise tag? That is a team punishment. Should not have dicked around with with RGIII as long as you did, or should have signed Cousins to a more team friendly deal with 5 or 6 games left last year. His value has damn near doubled since then.

The franchise tag isn't just a a one year punishment either. You can't tag a guy one year without being willing to tag him for a 2nd, at least hypothetically and from a negotiating stance. His agent now is going to baseline that huge guaranteed number, what is it, like 40 million or more, as the minimum for a 3 year deal.

The only advantage the Skins have now is that if they actually have to apply the tag, but it does not result in a long term deal, and he has a shitty year, they can be rid of him with no future cap hit. But then they become the Texans, at best, a team on the rise, but wandering in the NFL QB desert.

I still think they get a deal done, but it is going to be a very good one for Cousins.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
the franchise tag is the only way to go for the Redskins. They're in the same division as the Eagles, and I guarantee they haven't forgotten that in 2013 Nick Foles threw for 27TDs and 2 ints while only playing 2/3rds of the season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Redskins messed up (no surprise) not giving him a Nick Foles like extension at the start of the year. I'm sure Cousins would have been open to that considering it would have assured him a nice salary.

While that didn't pan out for the Rams, I think it would have worked wonders for the Redskins.. now they're in a very precarious position. Do you overpay or do you start from scratch?

It's for that reason I think the franchise tag is the only option for them.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":u9hudss7 said:
The Redskins messed up (no surprise) not giving him a Nick Foles like extension at the start of the year.

That's easy to say in hindsight, but even through Week 6 of last year people would have been saying that they had messed up for giving him a Nick Foles like extension.

And just like Nick Foles, in two years from now people might be using hindisght to say the Redskins were smart for not giving Kirk Cousins a Nick Foles like extension.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Kirk looked the part at times last year.

He also hasn't won a single game against a winning team in 26 starts. Zero.

If I'm Washington, I'd be hesitant as well, especially if Cousins thinks he's played himself into a higher income bracket than the likes of Foles, Kap, Dalton, etc. My guess is Cousins isn't interested in a funny-money contract, but giving him anything more would be a potential franchise-crippling gamble.

kearly

Reaction score
I know it's just one game, but Green Bay's defense is mediocre and they made Cousins look underwhelming in his playoff game.

I'd be nervous about signing Cousins to any kind of long term money right now. 2015 was a weird ass year where among other things, Andy Dalton (another Jay Gruden protege) led the NFL in passer rating for most of the season.

Sometimes QBs have fluke seasons. Nick Foles in 2013, etc.

Bottom line, the history of the league is full of cautionary tales of teams who paid QBs after one good season or one good game. Make him prove it over two seasons, and the risk becomes easier to swallow.

Cousins' thin frame (6'3", 202 pounds) is another reason I'd be iffy about a long term commitment. Guys with that kind of body mass index rarely stay healthy.

I think Gruden feels confident enough in developing 2nd tier QBs for his system that he'll find an adequate replacement if it doesn't work out. It's a very different situation for him than the Texans or Browns, IMO.