Backup QB's you think are good..

pehawk

Reaction score
Give us some current backups you think would shine if given the chance. Here's mine...

Mike Glennon - That Napoleon Dynamite looking bastard can sling it. He's gotten some starts, but, in some bad circumstances on bad teams.

Zach Mettenberger - Tennessee is a shit show and seems hellbent on removing Mariota's career for us fans. So, like above, I want to see him on a professional team.

Colt McCoy*- Only in a Kubiakesque offense.

Those are two to start. I look forward to your backups, recriminations and x-rated PM's.

XOXO

Dave Rutledge

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
You have a good list.

Beyond those guys:

Jimmy Garappolo
A.J. McCarron
Chase Daniel
Matt McGloin

Not trying to be a homer here, but I think the Seahawks may have one of the better backup QB's on their roster now. Not TJack, though he's a great one to have around for multiple reasons. I was honestly excited about the signing of a backup QB when they picked up Phillip Sims. He played well last preseason. Yeah, it's just preseason, but I think this kid has a great shot to make the Seahawks roster. Sounds like he's got the right attitude, coachable, quick learner, passion for the game, size, etc. http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ird-qb-job

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1du1cvx9 said:
Brandon Weeden. there, i said it.

XOXO

Carmonita Scarfone

Great, now a mod will move this to the "things that are funny" thread because; A) Weeden sucks and B) justification of duties. Way to mess things up, T Boone.

Chase Daniel is kinda Colt McCoy with boy parts. Another good name.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":3atumzpc said:
peachesenregalia":3atumzpc said:
Brandon Weeden. there, i said it.

XOXO

Carmonita Scarfone

Great, now a mod will move this to the "things that are funny" thread because; A) Weeden sucks and B) justification of duties. Way to mess things up, T Boone.

Chase Daniel is kinda Colt McCoy with boy parts. Another good name.

I dont necessarily agree with them, but CBSsports listed Weeden as the number 1 backup in the league.

There's really not very many good ones, half of the starting QB's suck.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... in-trouble

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2vgifgz3 said:
Joey Harrington is gonna be good someday. I just know it.

The coolest thing Joey ever did was wear #3. Between that number and the Lions color scheme it was like reliving the Mirer reign.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't know about any backups "shining" .. but I do like Jimmy Garoppolo's potential.

All in all though, quarterback is such a barren position in this league.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2itc8zrr said:
RG3 or Kaepernick anyone?

:lol:

Yeah, was thinking of those two also.

I think the major problem is that it's basically impossible to answer the question, as almost all of these guys rarely if ever play.

As a result we're forced to just come up with a list of 1) guys that are still in there 20s and looked pretty good at some point awhile ago (RG3; Glennon, Kap) and 2) guys who by chance have gotten the chance to play recently and didn't totally stink up the place (Mettenberger and McCarron).

Just as two examples:

1) Through the first half of last season I think most people (myself included) thought of Blaine Gabbert as one of the worst backup QBs in the NFL, and because he got the chance to play, it turns out he may have been one of the best (a bottom third starter = one of the best backups, let's say).

2) In his first four years in the league I don't think many people were putting Tyod Taylor on their "best backups" list, but the guy got a chance to start and made the Pro-Bowl.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3e3cv0qd said:
UK_Seahawk":3e3cv0qd said:

I think the major problem is that it's basically impossible to answer the question, as almost all of these guys rarely if ever play.

As a result we're forced to just come up with a list of 1) guys that are still in there 20s and looked pretty good at some point awhile ago (RG3; Glennon, Kap) and 2) guys who by chance have gotten the chance to play recently and didn't totally stink up the place (Mettenberger and McCarron).

Just as two examples:

1) Through the first half of last season I think most people (myself included) thought of Blaine Gabbert as one of the worst backup QBs in the NFL, and because he got the chance to play, it turns out he may have been one of the best (a bottom third starter = one of the best backups, let's say).

2) In his first four years in the league I don't think many people were putting Tyod Taylor on their "best backups" list, but the guy got a chance to start and made the Pro-Bowl.

It's all our opinion, so it's okay. No one cares if we're right. Kinda a message board thing.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":15rvg4oa said:
pehawk":15rvg4oa said:
Popeyejones":15rvg4oa said:
UK_Seahawk":15rvg4oa said:

Just as two examples:

It's all our opinion, so it's okay. No one cares if we're right. Kinda a message board thing.

I care. i'm very heavily emotionally invested in these posts on here. they affect me on a personal level.

Great, now this thread will be moved into the "things that are awesome" thread because you're essentially bolting out of the closet for all of us to see.

To Popeye's point on Gabbert...that one surprised the shit out of me too. Only thing he had going for him was that beautiful girl hair. But he showed some heart. Also, you're one of my favorite posters so I'd love your opinion.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":1ygt580k said:
Popeyejones":1ygt580k said:
UK_Seahawk":1ygt580k said:

Just as two examples:

Yeah. I get that.

My point was just that it's really hard to form an opinion about a question for which for maybe 3/4s of backup QBs in the NFL we don't really have much (if any) information through which to form our opinions.

Asking where Ryan Nassib ranks among backup QBs isn't that far off from me asking you what you think about what I had for lunch today, or if you think my friend Rebecca should have said that thing she said in that situation I didn't tell you about.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":32u7ran1 said:
CHARLIE WHITEHURST.

On the field, not off. Brady, Bond, and Whitehurst are whom I'll point out to my son and say "try to be something like them. Now, pass me my needle, Holden"

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":1vy9w284 said:
Scottemojo":1vy9w284 said:
CHARLIE WHITEHURST.

On the field, not off. Brady, Bond, and Whitehurst are whom I'll point out to my son and say "try to be something like them. Now, pass me my needle, Holden"
I always thought the backup's job was to be cooler than the starter. Good golfer, pull some quality tail, make sure the practice squadders lose their money at poker so that they can't waste it on strippers.

Depending on the week, Johnny Manziel was a decent backup. GIven his recent fun, he might be a backup for some time, if he isn't suspended. I kinda dig Chase Daniel too. His name would make me want to draft like a dozen guys named Daniel just for the jokes.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1e9xvd2f said:
pehawk":1e9xvd2f said:
Scottemojo":1e9xvd2f said:
CHARLIE WHITEHURST.

I always thought the backup's job was to be cooler than the starter. Good golfer, pull some quality tail, make sure the practice squadders lose their money at poker so that they can't waste it on strippers.

Depending on the week, Johnny Manziel was a decent backup. GIven his recent fun, he might be a backup for some time, if he isn't suspended. I kinda dig Chase Daniel too. His name would make me want to draft like a dozen guys named Daniel just for the jokes.

I internally giggled. 8/10.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":150fhcyo said:
I know CK got benched in favor of Sunshine Gabbert (and I agree that Gabbert played well), but I wasn't really considering him in the backup category just yet. He should be and would probably be one of the better ones as would RG3. It just remains to be seen if either of those guys end up somewhere with a starter gig.

I think RG3 would do well anywhere the field isn't torn up like Washington, SF, Carolina, etc. He would like have to play on those fields eventually at some point, but just not his home field with those dodgy knees.

Not sure what to think of CK. Honestly (and I don't mean this as an insult), he would be a terror in the CFL. He's still good enough to be a quality backup in this league, but not sure he's going to be a starter again anytime soon. Maybe as a game manager for a team with a top Defense. He's a heck of an athlete, though. Just not a reliable QB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":25x6b4e5 said:
\
Not sure what to think of CK. Honestly (and I don't mean this as an insult), he would be a terror in the CFL. He's still good enough to be a quality backup in this league, but not sure he's going to be a starter again anytime soon. Maybe as a game manager for a team with a top Defense. He's a heck of an athlete, though. Just not a reliable QB.

Kaepernick has two huge problems, IMO:

1) His footwork is just atrocious. He's at a point in his career too where tearing him down to build him back up isn't as feasible as it could have been in the past. This is an area in which I think Harbaugh really failed him. As a former QB part of Harbaugh schtick is not "messing up" QBs' confidence and skills with proper technique-based teaching, and while that can work for some guys, it was really a disaster for Kaepernick. Basically a style of coaching that worked better than anyone could have expected for Alex Smith (his mechanics were always fine, he was just emotionally beaten to a pulp and too often asked to do things he simply can't do) was in the long-term really a disaster for Kaepernick.

2) I don't think he has the mental makeup to be an NFL QB. I think he's easily smart enough (that was always a stupid meme), but he's simply too emotional. You could literally see the attention and criticism get to him. Unlike even okay NFL QBs he couldn't shake off bad plays. He also shut down and retreated inward when faced with criticism, isolating himself from his teammates and his locker room. He doesn't have a smarts problem, he has an emotional maturity problem.

I'm still rooting for him to turn his career back around (regardless of where he ends up playing), but those are the two things I saw this last year.