Former Browns RB, the great Jim Brown turned 80 years old

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Nearly all of us that saw him play feel he's the greatest football player in the history of the game. I'm one of those.
The only RB to ever average over 100 yards per game in his career and one of only 2 to average miore than 5 yds per carry (Barry Sanders).

He did these things with defenses completely focused on him as he played with below average QBs (mostly Frank Ryan) throughout his career,

kearly

Reaction score
If NFL players were as big, fast, athletic, and well coached in the 50s and 60s as they are today, Jim Brown would be the best RB ever without a doubt. But given that the size and speed of NFL players in that time was roughly comparable to division 3 college ball today, it's really hard to know how Brown would compare to modern backs. He was fun to watch, and I think his off-field personality is awesome. In a lot of ways, he was like the Marshawn Lynch of his time.

chris98251

Reaction score
He walked away while still being on top, Movies and Hollywood I think drew his attention, more money then playing for that time as well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I remember Richard Pryor talking about catching on fire and how fire was scared of Jim Brown :D

I believe it was Jim Brown that convinced Pryor to clean up his act. Either that, or it was that fire

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Another cat who did it his way...

Igccwonzbx3drolsbklc

020312-sports-jim-brown-100-rifles.png

and with all due respect, yeah, fix the title. :lol:

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Perfect. Now 'THE JB' can finally sink into that long goodnight peacefully. The Juice has nothing on JB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2q02dz5i said:
If NFL players were as big, fast, athletic, and well coached in the 50s and 60s as they are today, Jim Brown would be the best RB ever without a doubt. But given that the size and speed of NFL players in that time was roughly comparable to division 3 college ball today, it's really hard to know how Brown would compare to modern backs. He was fun to watch, and I think his off-field personality is awesome. In a lot of ways, he was like the Marshawn Lynch of his time.
I have to agree,I think he would be ML today and theres no shame in that but best of all time?I'd vote for Barry who also had defenses keyed only on him with crappy offensive line.To the guy above who said he had a crappy QB,didn't he play with Otto Graham and win Championships?The Browns were a powerhouse in the 50's

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IndyHawk":24gakeuq said:
kearly":24gakeuq said:
I have to agree,I think he would be ML today and theres no shame in that but best of all time?I'd vote for Barry who also had defenses keyed only on him with crappy offensive line.To the guy above who said he had a crappy QB,didn't he play with Otto Graham and win Championships?The Browns were a powerhouse in the 50's
No. Otto Graham retired a couple of years before Brown arrived in Cleveland. Brown was taken in the first round of the 1957 NFL draft and Graham retired after the 1955 season.

As for eras and how good guys from the past would be in a modern era, that's a discussion that's been going on for decades in all sports and has no real solution but rather is based on opinion. Obviously great players would always be great players. It would be a matter of degrees of course.