Cards sign CFL sack leader Tristan Okpalaugo

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TesslerSports/status/700016115238445058[/tweet]

Okpalaugo was named the CFL East Division's Most Oustanding Rookie at the end of the 2014 season. In two seasons of work, he's posted 65 tackles and 23 sacks including back-to-back 10+ sack seasons. He's also added two interceptions and five forced fumbles.

2_0_6

Reaction score
For those who were holding out hope for Irvin to come back, looks less likely now.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Looks like another former Dolphin heading our way

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1jjyfw91 said:
For those who were holding out hope for Irvin to come back, looks less likely now.

Not sure this guy could play LB. Definitely a prototype LEO. Just a standard PC/JS move the way I see it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pn'J shake the bushes for prospects.

It appears he may understand how to rush the passer and certainly has some physically exceptional characteristics.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Well, they have a proven track record because they turned Browner into an NFL starter. Could give them a leg up in getting him to sign in Seattle. Would be nice to turn another CFL stud into an NFL starter.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The seahawks NEED some cheap players.

If he can stick as rotational/situational depth then that is already an improvement.

I'm curious how he got his sacks. Was it with an actual pass rushing move, or was it from second effort.

Even after 4 years Bruce Irvin never learned any pass rushing moves. Almost every sack came from the OL missing an assignment or Irvin making a 2nd effort after failing on his first.

I'm assuming this guy actually has some moves.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If so, he must have learned them, and how to tackle, since leaving Fresno. I'm scratching my head looking at his CFL stats. I don't recall him looking all that great in college.

-bsd

kearly

Reaction score
What little I can find of him reminds me of Benson Mayowa.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2wpzdgqq said:

Don't you mean Okung?

cover-2

Reaction score
I hope we sign him, let him come in and compete for playing time at DE and OLB.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3ehouqlb said:

If he can stick as rotational/situational depth then that is already an improvement.

I'm curious how he got his sacks. Was it with an actual pass rushing move, or was it from second effort.

Even after 4 years Bruce Irvin never learned any pass rushing moves. Almost every sack came from the OL missing an assignment or Irvin making a 2nd effort after failing on his first.

I genuinely wonder if you think any Seahawk ever has done anything positive.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":32rpw4gw said:

Do you have stats to support your Bruce Irvin claim? Video evidence? Coach comments on how Irvin was unable to learn any pass rush movements?

McGruff

Reaction score
Just watched his tape from 2012 against an elite Oregon team, and he was really really good. A sack, several TFL'S and pressures, and a few drop backs in coverage against D'Anthony Thomas.

He's got some moves as a pass rusher, and good field speed. His arm length is evident in tackling. Just engulfs people. As a run defender he gets pushed back at times, but is slippery off the block.

He was labeled in the draft process as a poor man's Dion Jordan (3rd overall pick that year) but IIke him better. He's not the athlete Jordan was, but he's more polished and better against the run.

If he's progressed at all in 4 years, I think he's a potential impact player. Why spend big money on Cameron Wake when you can get the guy following in his footsteps for a fraction of the price?

Basis4day

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3lclc8p6 said:

I think any discussion on Irvin's development as a pass rusher needs to take into account his initial role as being developed into a LEO, compared to his conversion and roles relative to playing SAM in this scheme.