Possible rule changes/emphasis

chevelle03

Reaction score
After the LOB demolished the league en route to a Super Bowl victory, the league completely changed the way it officiated defensive backs by 'emphasising' defensive holding, PI, etc.

This year the Broncos took the league by storm with their pass rush (particularly in the playoffs against perhaps the two biggest names in the league right now). What do you think the league will do to hamper defensive lines, protect the QB, and increase scoring?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Nothing of that sort.

I'd guess they focus more on interpretation issues, reviewable plays and safety concerns.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I don't see any rule changes really, but I do think the refs will be a factor if they start allowing teams to hold against Denver all game like they do to Bennett and Avril. I swear those guys got held more than any other duo in the league and probably had the least holding calls.

sutz

Reaction score
IDK, for as much as they love scoring, they love their sack dances, too. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The league made a conscious effort to enforce the rulebook as it was written with regards to the 5 yard rule because there was simply too much public outcry from other teams and national media not to do so.

I think PC very wisely took advantage of a hole in how the game was officiated in practice, but perhaps pushed it a bit too far.

We saw a similar thing happen this year when the Patriots took the small competitive advantage of late offensive substitutions and pushed it too far which forced the NFL to start calling the rulebook as it's written.

As for the Broncos pass rush, they're not doing anything that pushes the rulebook. They're just really good. If they were heavily relying on holding up the guard while their ends were running free on twists (a la the 49ers with Justin and Aldon Smith when they were both there) then I think the NFL would be forced to start calling that more frequently, but they're not doing stuff like that. They've just got a really great collection of interior and exterior pass rushers putting pressure on people.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It won't matter.

We've seen what happens.

In the regular season, they call the contact penalties and there can be some iffy calls that go against a defense. So yes, the changes might make it easier for teams with strong offenses, but if the team wants to win it all - it had better have a strong defense.

In the regular season, offensive friendly rules had the advantage to the better offenses.

But in the SB, with both 2 weeks to prepare and with referees needing to be cautious about throwing flags (with so many eyes and so much scrutiny), the officials simply let defenses be more physical.

So even with the rules of the game slanted in favor of the offense, in the big game, a lot of physical play that was harder to allow before is overlooked. XL got enough publicity, and these days with social media people can instantly share a Vine or GIF that becomes viral. No referee wants to be the one that makes a call that literally swings a game and then all the tape shows it might have been a mistake.

But that also means that an offense that is used to getting free passes, suddenly finds itself at a huge disadvantage.

It is really odd how in the SB, a strong defense is almost always going to beat a strong offense. Considering all the rules that slant advantages to the QB especially. But the #s look pretty telling, even in this era if you want to win the SB you better come with a strong D.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2mcgtj2d said:
That and Vaughn Miller proved he can pull off a strip sack even while being blatantly held.
Von Miller. Not Vaughn Miller.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: I think they will either give the quarterback a 3 second delay after the hiking of the ball before the defense front 3 or 4 can attack the line making the play safer for the quarterback, or they could start the defensive line attacking the quarterback a 4 yard safety cushion off the line of scrimmage. This will facilitate less false starts and less encroachment saving lots of time in penalties. :sarcasm_off:

In other words, no change. :stirthepot:

Alexander

Reaction score
Popeyejones":32am0c02 said:
If they were heavily relying on holding up the guard while their ends were running free on twists (a la the 49ers with Justin and Aldon Smith when they were both there) then I think the NFL would be forced to start calling that more frequently, but they're not doing stuff like that.

What penalty is that supposed to be? Does it fall under defensive holding?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Alexander":3lem564b said:
Popeyejones":3lem564b said:
If they were heavily relying on holding up the guard while their ends were running free on twists (a la the 49ers with Justin and Aldon Smith when they were both there) then I think the NFL would be forced to start calling that more frequently, but they're not doing stuff like that.

Good question. TBH I'm not sure.

It's definitely a penalty and it definitely gets called from time-to-time, but not nearly as much as it happens. (I thought of the Justin/Aldon combo because it's pretty similar to the Pats and late subs and the Hawks and five yards IMO: Doing something people generally do, but being a hair to egregious about it thereby causing people to talk and the league to take action (and people were DEFINITELY talking about when the 9ers were leaning on it so much).

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2kwxidsg said:
Alexander":2kwxidsg said:
Popeyejones":2kwxidsg said:

Good question. TBH I'm not sure.

It's definitely a penalty and it definitely gets called from time-to-time, but not nearly as much as it happens. (I thought of the Justin/Aldon combo because it's pretty similar to the Pats and late subs and the Hawks and five yards IMO: Doing something people generally do, but being a hair to egregious about it thereby causing people to talk and the league to take action (and people were DEFINITELY talking about when the 9ers were leaning on it so much).

It's defensive holding. 5 yards automatic first down.

They let Justin Smith get away with that way too much, but they did call it on him a few times.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
DJrmb":11s6zp0k said:
I don't see any rule changes really, but I do think the refs will be a factor if they start allowing teams to hold against Denver all game like they do to Bennett and Avril. I swear those guys got held more than any other duo in the league and probably had the least holding calls.

Quinn and Donald are also held on nearly every play. I swear in 2014 (Quinn missed some time in 2015) he was getting held on every single play.