Martellus Bennett likely to be released

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Good red zone target too, but with Jimmy (healthy) and Willson is paying another TE decent money worthwhile?

Erebus

Reaction score
Considering his age and production, I don't think he'll command a big salary, and will probably get less than the $5M he's due to make this year. I think he would be a great addition as Graham insurance, and would give us a great group of TEs if Graham returns healthy. Hopefully his brother recruits him here.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I wonder if signing his brother could help Michael see more value in being content with his contract as well and keep him from rocking the boat?

2_0_6

Reaction score
Drop the Helfett - MCoy experiment, restructure Graham and sign Bennett part deux.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
McCoy still in the league? Bennett would be awesome to have, but I feel the money that would take to sign him should go towards the o'line or towards pass rusher depth

HawkGA

Reaction score
DJrmb":xudpqrb4 said:
I wonder if signing his brother could help Michael see more value in being content with his contract as well and keep him from rocking the boat?

Was wondering that too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seems like it'd an either or situation, not both with Graham and Bennett.

IMO Bennett's a better fit here, bigger better blocking/target TE that we've missed not having since Miller left.

No way both would fit under our cap, not should we want that much salary tied up in one position. But Bennett's only 28, so I'd be fine with cutting Graham and signing Bennett to a long term deal. Like I said, better fit here.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1fvur7t3 said:
HawkGA":1fvur7t3 said:
DJrmb":1fvur7t3 said:

Was wondering that too.
We should sign his dad too.

Always go with the momma.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":39tej1pn said:
HawkGA":39tej1pn said:
DJrmb":39tej1pn said:

Was wondering that too.
We should sign his dad too.

Can his dad contribute to the team in an area we need depth? If so I'm for it.

massari

Reaction score
Would be nice if they're able to cut Graham and his 9M then sign Bennett for around 5M per.

Rob12

Reaction score
massari":2v9vzv8a said:
Would be nice if they're able to cut Graham and his 9M then sign Bennett for around 5M per.

I don't think they would need to, and Graham shouldn't be cut. Take Kearse's money (if he actually does leave), and another couple million and throw it at Bennett.

Baldwin, Lockett on the outside, Graham in the slot, Bennett, Willson double TE's, Rawls in the backfield. You want to talk about giving Russ some options?

Guarantee that the mind of Martellus is spinning at the thought of playing with his big brother. Is a potential SB berth and the chance to play with family worth taking a little bit less? I am leaning towards thinking yes.

I give the odds of Martellus being a Hawk higher than most, probably.

50/50.

kearly

Reaction score
On paper it makes a lot of sense for Seattle to pursue him. But I'm not really expecting it. I think the Seahawks are a bit leery right now of adding another clubhouse lawyer type after the holdout drama last summer. Martellus Bennett had a brief holdout of his own last summer in Chicago.

Martellus Bennett also had this to say about Jimmy Graham a few months ago. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -expletive

ivotuk

Reaction score
If the Seahawks offer him a contract, he will be Jimmy's new best buddy. I think they most players realize the Martellus is complaining about his targets and just using those other TEs for comparison. Translated "I'm better than those guys because I block, so I should get more targets like they do."

I think he would fit in well here, as long as he realizes that this is a running team.

pmedic920

Reaction score
HawkMeat":td0ar8x4 said:
Good red zone target too, but with Jimmy (healthy) and Willson is paying another TE decent money worthwhile?

Jimmy being healthy IS NOT a given.
His injury was a significant one and has ended more than one career.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Id rather spend 6-7 on Bennett than 4-5 on Kearse. Having Bennett is insurance for Graham and will allow Graham not only be used more like he was in NO but will allow him to take his time with his injury.

It would be a good move for the team.

massari

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":kwojn9js said:
Id rather spend 6-7 on Bennett than 4-5 on Kearse. Having Bennett is insurance for Graham and will allow Graham not only be used more like he was in NO but will allow him to take his time with his injury.

It would be a good move for the team.

Apparently no one has ever come back 100% from a patellar tendon injury in the NFL. If they can cut Graham without an injury settlement, they probably should. 9M is a lot of cap room.

Also I don't think Bennett will get 6-7M since no team was willing to give up anything to get him with 1 year 6.3M left on his contract.

Latest posts