Rams release three players: Cook, Laurinaitis, and LONG!?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
According to Albert Breer

The Rams announced they've released LB James Lauinaitis, DE Chris Long and TE Jared Cook.
I am surprised at the move. The line is so good perhaps that made them comfortable saving cap space by releasing Chris Long (if they save cap)

Edit:
Releasing Long saves them 11.75 million against the cap according to spotrac.

Laloosh

Reaction score
How many guys on that line are approaching FA?

OP
OP
HawkMeat

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Donald, Quinn, and Brockers are all young and each are on contract for a couple more years I believe. Long is 30, so Rams probably will draft another young guy for the left side. When you have Quinn and Donald it makes sense to replace Long with younger talent and save 11 million.

Maybe Long could be had on a nice deal. He is great against the run, only had 3 sacks last year. I would be happy to see him as a seahawk

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Wow. I doubt we could get long on a cheap deal but if we could I think he would be pretty good with us. And isn't Jared Cook mainly a blocker TE? We need one of those. Just saying. And he'd probably be cheap.

OP
OP
HawkMeat

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Now that I think more about Cook, he probably would be cheaper than Bennett if he is released. Cook may be a great option on a one year.

drdiags

Reaction score
I thought Cook was more a receiving threat or was supposed to be. I don't know if he brings what Zach Miller used to. Will just have to draft your own Gronk instead of always trying to benefit from some other team nurturing the guy.

It isn't like the Seahawks didn't have shots at some TEs that turned out pretty good. Maybe this year they catch lightning in a bottle like they did with Lockett?

OP
OP
HawkMeat

HawkMeat

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2g9wbj7o said:
Yeah more info on Cook please, someone? We need a blocking TE.
Last year he had 39 receptions and 481 yards, and zero TDs. He played in all 16 games. He is only 28 and according to a few articles is not a great blocker. Probably had at vet min?

Long is way more intriguing. 30 years old, sack count down, superior run stopper and splash plays.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Cook is definitely more of a receiving type TE. Kendricks was the main blocking TE for the Rams.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Cook is hot garbage. If you remove his (already bad) stats against the Arizona Cardinals who for some reason couldn't stop him at times, he's one of the worst TEs in the NFL. And we gave this guy like $30 plus million.

Long has been injured two years running, gotten older, and paid too much - makes sense - but he was a consummate pro, and a good guy.

Lauranaitis is where it gets tricky. He's been a debate for a few years now amongst Rams fans. My contention has been that he holds the defense back. Smart guy, but limited athletically, can't shed blocks....he's essentially just a coach on the field. Made a bunch of tackles but on plays where the RB gains 7 yards. Give us a guy like Wagner and this defense would be the best, especially with our secondary developing so well. This will also likely secure long term deals for both Trumaine Johnson, who was quietly one of the best in the NFL this year, and Janoris Jenkins. The thought prior to this was that we couldn't retain both. I hope this means we will look to upgrade the position...although sliding Ogletree to the middle might be an option, he's a former safety and might be too small to bang in the middle.

Ultimately, I am happy with all these moves. I just hope it doesn't make the front office ignore QB to fill some of these holes....we should trade all our picks to land the QB we want.

BUT - we will all be laughing together when we draft a DE in the first round....because Quinn has been hurt (minor and major) two years in a row now....and Hayes/Sims are both over 30. Suddenly DE becomes a legit need for the Rams....albeit in more of a rotational capacity. Hopefully we don't take one in the first round..but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Also, Long will probably go to the Raiders...where his dad played, they need help on defense, even with Mack being a stud.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Move absolutely makes sense to me. The Rams just watched the Broncos win the Super Bowl with a dominating front seven so it makes sense to get rid of 2 of your top players from that area. :sarcasmoff

HawkFan72

Reaction score
All 3 of these guys are a case of having a recognizable name earned for a level of play they can't match anymore.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
HawkGA":1euy0vqq said:
Move absolutely makes sense to me. The Rams just watched the Broncos win the Super Bowl with a dominating front seven so it makes sense to get rid of 2 of your top players from that area. :sarcasmoff

Technically they were probably our two worst starting players from the front 7 last year. Both Ogletree and Barron played better than JL, and there were easily 4 DL that are now better than Long...and he's been hurt. They're probably two of the more recognizable names though.

OP
OP
HawkMeat

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Long may be perfect in a more limited rotational role with the hawks then. Not the same player, but may excel with cutting his snaps down