Predict a big, unexpected free agency move

HawkGA

Reaction score
What is some nice that might come as a surprise? I'm going to predict that one of the QBs (Osweiller or Cousins) hits free agency and goes to another team.

pehawk

Reaction score
I want RG3 in LA, so he's not in Dallas. He'd be amazing behind that line down there. They'd be pretty hard to beat and a match up nightmare for Seattle.

As far as the question, man, a little too early to say. Drawing a blank.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Not a big fan of this...

...but for some reason I keep wondering if the Niners let Kap walk and make a play for RG3. Chip and RG3?

Would at least be interesting.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3re06ex6 said:
Not a big fan of this...

...but for some reason I keep wondering if the Niners let Kap walk and make a play for RG3. Chip and RG3?

Do they need to hit the cap minimum yet?

It's weird what you and I used to argue about, since 2012, seems true. I mean I used to say as soon as Levis is built Jeb will cut all the costs he can, and winning will be secondary.

Missed you Marvin.

pehawk

Reaction score
Hendo66":1z9pyxgx said:
Alex Boone & Nick Fairley to Seattle

Fairley seems the opposite of what the program is about.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":3ph7zxsk said:
Marvin49":3ph7zxsk said:
Not a big fan of this...

Do they need to hit the cap minimum yet? It's weird what you and I used to argue about, since 2012, seems true. I mean I used to say as soon as Levis is built Jeb will cut all the costs he can, and winning will be secondary.

If that were true he wouldn't be paying both Tomsula and Kelly right now. He's paying Tomsula 10.5 million to go away and Chip is making 1 mil more than Harbaugh did.

That's of course no guarantee its a good hire...just talkin' $$$$$$.

The reason they are in the cap situation they are in tho has more do with retirements than anything else tho. Willis, Justin, Anthony Davis...all off the books. Boldin contract expired, Vernon traded (and you see how great he was now in Denver).

This salary cap situation is a byproduct of good planning (not overpaying free agents) and unexpected retirements. If they let Bethea and Brooks go they'd be over 60 mil under and if they somehow traded Kap (and I don't know where I stand on that) they could be 70 mil under.

Problem is....is there even anyone out there worth spending that much money on? All they big $$$ guys I'd want (Miller, Wilkerson, Jeffery) will likely end up tagged. I'd rather just get to the salary floor than spend all that money on fools gold.

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":250d2604 said:
pehawk":250d2604 said:
Marvin49":250d2604 said:
Not a big fan of this...

Do they need to hit the cap minimum yet? It's weird what you and I used to argue about, since 2012, seems true. I mean I used to say as soon as Levis is built Jeb will cut all the costs he can, and winning will be secondary.

If that were true he wouldn't be paying both Tomsula and Kelly right now. He's paying Tomsula 10.5 million to go away and Chip is making 1 mil more than Harbaugh did.

That's of course no guarantee its a good hire...just talkin' $$$$$$.

The reason they are in the cap situation they are in tho has more do with retirements than anything else tho. Willis, Justin, Anthony Davis...all off the books. Boldin contract expired, Vernon traded (and you see how great he was now in Denver).

This salary cap situation is a byproduct of good planning (not overpaying free agents) and unexpected retirements. If they let Bethea and Brooks go they'd be over 60 mil under and if they somehow traded Kap (and I don't know where I stand on that) they could be 70 mil under.

Problem is....is ther even anyone out there worth spending that much money on? All they guys I'd want will likely end up tagged. I'd rather just get to the salary floor than spend all that money on fools gold.

Of course, Marvin.

Hendo66

Reaction score
pehawk":3rks9sbp said:
Hendo66":3rks9sbp said:

Fairley seems the opposite of what the program is about.

Agreed But,
He definitely has talent and might realize he's running out of chances.
Cap friendly / Prove it deal?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hendo66":2t6m05sq said:

Hate to say it, but Boone might be a good move...particularly if you push him out to tackle.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I'd like Boone. Fairly would be interesting, get his head straight and he could be a disruptive force on our DL.

kearly

Reaction score
I think RG3 ends up in the NFC West after he's released. He fits the schemes in Seattle and SF. Arians has the stones for it, and has been known to take mobile QBs as projects. And the Rams would take him just for the lulz. (And also because they are clueless with QBs).

My guess, he goes to SF to join Chip Kelly's QB competition.

Another prediction. I think one of RG3/Kaep ends up in Buffalo sometime soon. Taylor played well this year, but he got injured a lot and gave multiple opportunities to backups to steal his job. Greg Roman is the OC and he's well known for getting the most out of athletic QBs with limited ability to make reads, including Kaep.

Buffalo has a measly $0.4 million in dead cap committed to Taylor the next two years. Obviously, they love having a QB on such a ridiculous bargain deal, but it also means that they can bench or get rid of Taylor very easily. I don't think Taylor would lose his job to one of Kaep/RG3 in the preseason, but if Taylor keeps getting injured and Kaep steps in, you could be looking at a new QB in Buffalo.

kearly

Reaction score
As far as Manziel, asked me two days ago and I would have said Seattle. But now he's being investigated for criminal domestic violence charges at a hotel with surveillance video evidence (just what the NFL needed).

So yeah, Dallas for Manziel. Dallas all the way.