And the entire NFC West rejoices!

:229031_thewave:

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":zm3xi1fv said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/702527341176692736[/tweet]

And the entire NFC West rejoices!

:229031_thewave:

12 million dollars is the going rate for a backup QB these days. TJack has to be liking that!

kidhawk

Reaction score
Maybe they figure they can get some value for him when Romo goes down in week 2 and Jones still wants desperately to make the playoffs?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm still now sure how a dumpster fire stays lit for this long...surely everything is ash by now, right?

2_0_6

Reaction score
Let me channel my inner Marvin...

Kap will be comeback player of the year, MVP, and super bowl champ next year.

:sarcasm_off:

KajunNiner

Reaction score
I don't see Kap beating out Gabbert so I find it a bit crazy to keep him around for that much money. Just draft Goff and let Gabbert roll this season.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not a serious idea, but, you know, kind of serious.

So if I team doesn't use it's draft pick, the next team jumps in front of them and the first team just remains on the clock, right?

What if they never made a draft pick in a draft? Would their status of "on the clock" just roll over into the next draft? If so, should the Niners consider doing that for this year, mail this coming season in, and then next year have the first 8 picks or whatever in the draft?????

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
In all seriousness doesn't this have something to do with the contract being guaranteed if he's injured which he became......er, was at the end of the season. In other words, weren't the 9ers on the hook for paying him regardless. If so, this isn't a huge surprise.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":38329pq4 said:
In all seriousness doesn't this have something to do with the contract being guaranteed if he's injured which he became......er, was at the end of the season. In other words, weren't the 9ers on the hook for paying him regardless. If so, this isn't a huge surprise.

They're on the hook if he doesn't pass his physical before April 1st and it makes sense they believe he will not.

Saying he will compete could be being honest or it could just be an attempt to get him to pass the physical. Even though he likely won't before the dead line.

Here's the thing though if Kaep wanted to he could claim to be permanently disabled. IE he never heals right, milks it out for another surgery and so on. Eventually the Niners would be forced to make an injury settlement or be on the hook for the full length of his entire contract but at the base values.

The draw back for Kaep would be it means retiring because he would not be able to play after that. Still unless he has some ungodly resurgence, he will never make anywhere near the amount he would get playing lame duck and cashing out with the Niners.

kearly

Reaction score
Hard to trade Kaep if you hint at the possibility that he'll be cut a few weeks after FA opens. To me this statement is akin to Seattle insisting that they were comfortable with paying Matt Flynn to be a backup during the 2012-2013 offseason.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kearly":sllnbztt said:
Hard to trade Kaep if you hint at the possibility that he'll be cut a few weeks after FA opens. To me this statement is akin to Seattle insisting that they were comfortable with paying Matt Flynn to be a backup during the 2012-2013 offseason.

I'd be very surprised if a team traded for Kaep without redoing his contract to at least remove the injury clause and even then I doubt any teams believes he is worth that 12 mill but if they could somehow have the 12 mill and a pick as the only cost, I could see a team giving a late pick to take a flyer on him.

Also RG3 will be a FA and will likely be cheaper without the cost of a pick. If your going to take a flyer on someone RG3 makes much more sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Johnny Football is going to be on the Market as well, as far as Kaep you have to keep washing that car to sell it and hope nobody looks under the hood. This is all about media speak and promoting the good image, the 49ers need him to pass a physical, once passed he can be cut with minimal damage or maybe then a trade can work. Right now he is damaged goods with a high price tag.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3pmp3nc4 said:
Let me channel my inner Marvin...

Kap will be comeback player of the year, MVP, and super bowl champ next year.

:sarcasm_off:

Yeah...because that sounds exactly like me. :roll:

Anyway...

Honestly, it's really not news. Baalke is stating the obvious. He won't be able to pass a physical before April 1st so they CAN'T release him prior to that date without paying his guarantee for the year.

I never thought they would outright release him for that very reason.

So...OF COURSE he says that he'll be on the roster April 1st and of course they will sell that he'll start/have a chance to start. Either it's legit and Kelly likes him or it's not and they want to drum up trade interest. A trade is the only way he leaves SF. They won't pay him 11 mil to walk away. If they trade him, the team that aquires him is on the hook for the 11 mil (tho I'd guess a renegotiation would be a part of the deal).

Either way, nothing happened one way or the other today to give a clue as to what the future holds for Kap in SF.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":2wl08lw2 said:
Johnny Football is going to be on the Market as well, as far as Kaep you have to keep washing that car to sell it and hope nobody looks under the hood. This is all about media speak and promoting the good image, the 49ers need him to pass a physical, once passed he can be cut with minimal damage or maybe then a trade can work. Right now he is damaged goods with a high price tag.

Yeah...prob is tho that we won't pass a physical before April 1st. he won't be released. He's either traded on on the SF roster this year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2r70wmzw said:

Again...he won't be cut. They are essentially on the hook for the salary no matter what since he most likely won't pass the physical before April 1st.

As I've said many, many times...I don't think he'll be elsewhere unless he's traded and I'd suspect if that happens there would be a deal in place already for a renegotiation of the contract.

If the Niners are already on the hook for the mopney, there is really no reason to cut him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1cwqymvq said:
kearly":1cwqymvq said:

I'd be very surprised if a team traded for Kaep without redoing his contract to at least remove the injury clause and even then I doubt any teams believes he is worth that 12 mill but if they could somehow have the 12 mill and a pick as the only cost, I could see a team giving a late pick to take a flyer on him.

Also RG3 will be a FA and will likely be cheaper without the cost of a pick. If your going to take a flyer on someone RG3 makes much more sense.

Agreed.