Sean Smith, CB, Chiefs

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think we make a trade for a CB or sign a vet, we have players in the wings and if we do anything we re sign our own that are proven.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Would be surprised if the team looks to FA to fill a hole at corner again after the Cary thing went so badly.

Lithium

Reaction score
Wont hear any complaints from me...even a Cromartie. I am not a big fan of our CB's .... but Im no petey.

Lithium

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3se6nqsl said:
Would be surprised if the team looks to FA to fill a hole at corner again after the Cary thing went so badly.

Yeah, but there is a big difference between Cary and S. Smith. Your probably right though.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think he would fit well on our team. But I also think we have enough depth where one of our young CBs waiting in the wings is ready to blossom into a starter. Signing Sean Smith would cost too much money that is needed elsewhere.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think it is tougher to get a seasoned vet to change his style to fit what the Seahawks demand of their CBs. Antonio Winfield may have been older but I also think he had a tough time adapting to what the team wanted. Same with Cary Williams and I bet the same happens with Sean Smith. The team brought in the CB from the NY Giants twice but both times cut him prior to the season starting. He would do well with the Jaguars the first time and with the Skins this past season.

On this technique issue, seems the Seahawks are not very flexible.

kearly

Reaction score
Smith was my favorite corner the year he came out in the draft, but I think last year solidified in Pete's mind that the LOB has gotta be homegrown.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't think it's gotta be home grown, just don't sign bums expecting to save them, thats exactly what Williams was.

Greenhell

Reaction score
I'd support bringing him on board at the right price. I've always like his measurables. A young guy still, he could be a sponge for the Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor who could help to improve his skill set.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think the Niners might be in on that one too.

Chip and Baalke love players with "long levers". Baalke was interested in him in 2013 as well.

Thats also why I wouldn't be shocked if they took DeForest Buckner if he's there at #7.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
1. Sean Smith excels in a press man coverage scheme (like they run in KC). It would be a total waste of his ability to dump him into a cover 3 scheme (that increasingly is playing off too).

2. Even if the areas in which he excels matched the scheme the Seahawks use (they don't), unless he's one of the players who slip through the cracks this year (I doubt that) there's no way the Hawks have the cap room to make signing him a smart decision.

Norman and either Johnson (likely) or Jenkins (less likely) are getting tagged, meaning that at worst Smith is the 1-b CB on the FA market this year (better player and preferable size to Jenkins, but Jenkins is three years younger so he might get a bigger deal).

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't think they can afford to sign any high priced vets.

In fact they need to stop signing free agents or trading 1st round picks for cap hell, because it doesn't work! It NEVER has, and it NEVER will.

Basis4day

Reaction score
ivotuk":k4ig2hjk said:
In fact they need to stop signing free agents or trading 1st round picks for cap hell, because it doesn't work! It NEVER has, and it NEVER will.

Not sure if serious...

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ivotuk":r3huuazt said:
I don't think they can afford to sign any high priced vets.

1) I guess Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Chris Clemons, and Marshawn Lynch never worked. Those guys were all brought in by trades or as free agents.

2) If the Seahawks had corners who could press, then they would do that more. I think they play more zone because they don't have press corners other than Sherman on the team. Smith can play press, then I'm sure they would change the scheme to use that to their advantage.

:sarcasm_on: what they need to stop is drafting DL and converting them to OL. Because it never works and it never will. :sarcasm_off:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No Chromartie. He was one of the worst corners last year. Ask any Jet fan and they will tell you just how bad he was. Marcus Williams the backup rookie completely outplayed Chromartie.

As for Smith, he fits our scheme but I doubt we dish out 8-10 mill for a corner.