30 for 30: The 1985 Chicago Bears

Rob12

Reaction score
You want to get grabbed by the sack? Watch this.

Easy to see why these guys - our guys - seek more money.

Football is a crazy ass game. I'll just leave it at that. Most of us have no idea.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
And you know, if I am being honest, that whole documentary, for as well done as it was, really pissed me off.

I see a lot of similarities between the current Seahawks and the 1985 Bears.

In the past, I have constantly shat on those that wanted more money. And then, I ask myself, being a daddy to three young boys, do I want them doing this? No, I do not, and I hope they stay a healthy country mile away from football.

It's really not a wonder that these guys want more cash. Many of them are getting their brains destoyed. Their choice, and all of that. But I'm done with railing against NFL players for wanting more money. Go get it. The NFL is a monster and makes money hand over fist. Kam is Exhibit A. Dude probably has dementia waiting for him at age 45 or so. So I'm not going to fault that any longer.

Just venting... Sometimes I really wonder what we're cheering for. I absolutely adore and am in love with the Seattle Seahawks. But holy ****, there's actually human beings behind those helmets.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, but I believe that the football players that are getting screwed the most are the big time college players. If they have a career ending injury they are kicked out of school and are on their own for any long term costs associated with their injury.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Having played for quite a while, I can absolutely agree. I played basically every sport there is no comparison for the amount of damage and pain your central nervous system takes compared to other sports whether that be brain, neck, or otherwise. Even stingers should be taken more seriously, but we always just played through them whether it be in the shoulder or even the neck.

To this day I still have an injury that creeps up on the right side of my back where he took a late hit 3 yards out of bounds after a sweep play and ended up cracking a couple ribs on a metal bench that was bolted to the ground. Just about every 6 months or so I get spasms so bad I can hardly get around.

Would I be wanting more money if I played another 10-15 years? Hell yes I would. I'd go anywhere for the highest dollar. The sport beats the hell out of you

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1l3fjw7c said:
Having played for quite a while, I can absolutely agree. I played basically every sport there is no comparison for the amount of damage and pain your central nervous system takes compared to other sports whether that be brain, neck, or otherwise. Even stingers should be taken more seriously, but we always just played through them whether it be in the shoulder or even the neck.

To this day I still have an injury that creeps up on the right side of my back where he took a late hit 3 yards out of bounds after a sweep play and ended up cracking a couple ribs on a metal bench that was bolted to the ground. Just about every 6 months or so I get spasms so bad I can hardly get around.

Would I be wanting more money if I played another 10-15 years? Hell yes I would. I'd go anywhere for the highest dollar. The sport beats the hell out of you

I remember when it was encouraged to crack helmets. The louder the hit the better, which is a shame because not only for obvious physical ailments but it should be encouraged for one to make make the tackle more than how hard you can stick someone ( I know coaches would argue with me but I know they want both). Do they even do drills like Oklahoma (nutcracker) in high school or college anymore?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Football isn't the only way that people get injured. There are car wrecks, hit and runs, workplace accidents, and those victims rarely get the kind of follow up treatment that football players get. I knew a lady that got in to a head on from a drunk driver. Put her in a wheelchair and she was in constant pain where she finally committed suicide. So I'm sure people like her can relate.

The thing is, football players need to be more proactive about their own health. The NFLPA should have addressed this decades ago, not wait until it became a national narrative. They went on strike for more money and free agency, why didn't they strike for safer playing conditions?

Then you have players like Edelman who in an interview last fall was asked about the hit that Kam Chancellor laid on him. "Looks like you got a concussion." Julian smiled and said "What's a concussion."

Remember when they made rules to protect quarterbacks? Defensive players responded with "They might as well put skirts on them."

So as long as some players are going to try to play through concussions, or bemoan rules changes, it's going to be hard to feel bad for them.

They need to be more proactive when it comes to their own health, and the health of the sport, after all, no one is better qualified to suggest changes to the game. There are a lot of things that football can do to clean up the sport and it won't harm it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2r8iyxg8 said:
Football isn't the only way that people get injured. There are car wrecks, hit and runs, workplace accidents, and those victims rarely get the kind of follow up treatment that football players get. I knew a lady that got in to a head on from a drunk driver. Put her in a wheelchair and she was in constant pain where she finally committed suicide. So I'm sure people like her can relate.

The thing is, football players need to be more proactive about their own health. The NFLPA should have addressed this decades ago, not wait until it became a national narrative. They went on strike for more money and free agency, why didn't they strike for safer playing conditions?

Then you have players like Edelman who in an interview last fall was asked about the hit that Kam Chancellor laid on him. "Looks like you got a concussion." Julian smiled and said "What's a concussion."

Remember when they made rules to protect quarterbacks? Defensive players responded with "They might as well put skirts on them."

So as long as some players are going to try to play through concussions, or bemoan rules changes, it's going to be hard to feel bad for them.

They need to be more proactive when it comes to their own health, and the health of the sport, after all, no one is better qualified to suggest changes to the game. There are a lot of things that football can do to clean up the sport and it won't harm it.
I agree with a lot of this but I want to add.When you play the game nobody is forcing you to do so.Be PROACTIVE is the key,understand the risks and do things to lower that risk.Everyone is different so some bodies can handle hits a lot better than others.You quit if you get injured all the time.It's not worth it later and as above said be PROACTIVE.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
This is still a mainly sport where people are considered pussies if they don't play thru pain and injury. You come outta the game? Your soft and then there's the concern of someone taking your job. Pressure to play injured and hurt exists and with the money at stake ain't going anywhere.

Don't know how you change that culture.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Then you have whiny fans and announcers complaining about big hits that get penalized on defenceless players. That's not football, they are ruining the game!

The less head cracking practices, two a days, Junction boys etc. help a bit.

byau

Reaction score
Just watched it last night. Good stuff. Wasn't really aware of the whole Buddy Ryan thing at the time, and that he left after the SB year. Wow

And the stuff with Jim McMahon and his adjustments to help with spinal fluid.. wow.

Enjoyed watching this.

Of course it got me in the mood to watch some more and I started on another favorite "Four Days in October" (Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series run) and ....yeah, morning me not happy with night me.

Back on point: This morning what struck me from the 1985 Bears and the footage was the hits the D was giving out and reminded me again how physical the game was back then.

Love 30 for 30

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Jayburd14":10f34jb7 said:
I agree with what you're saying, but I believe that the football players that are getting screwed the most are the big time college players. If they have a career ending injury they are kicked out of school and are on their own for any long term costs associated with their injury.

I"m really confused why so many good athletes go for football, the career is short, relative to other top sports, the money is not as good. Go to baseball.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3lkwrwe6 said:
Jayburd14":3lkwrwe6 said:

I"m really confused why so many good athletes go for football, the career is short, relative to other top sports, the money is not as good. Go to baseball.
Baseball is as much a skill as a sport. Football is a game where strength and speed are king, but all that in the world won't help you hit a curveball or paint the corners.

All things being equal in terms of one's ability to play both games, yeah play baseball. But that's not usually the case. Russ hit .220 in the low minors and is making 20 per as an NFL QB. Different games, different skillsets.

NINEster

Reaction score
You play baseball thinking with your brain.

You play football thinking with your heart.

It's that simple.

Wilson made the right choice being Seahawk QB, even if he could make $20 million playing baseball.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1z5segr6 said:
Bobblehead":1z5segr6 said:
Jayburd14":1z5segr6 said:

Baseball is as much a skill as a sport. Football is a game where strength and speed are king, but all that in the world won't help you hit a curveball or paint the corners.

All things being equal in terms of one's ability to play both games, yeah play baseball. But that's not usually the case. Russ hit .220 in the low minors and is making 20 per as an NFL QB. Different games, different skillsets.

Frank Thomas being an exception

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2gia2d8b said:
Jayburd14":2gia2d8b said:

You gotta get into the sport early. Basketball doesn't take much equipment or space and kids can play street football to learn to throw and catch. There are plenty of examples of big college players that didn't play organized football until high school.

Baseball requires a lot of space and specialized equipment. The ball itself is basically a rock and kids these days are barely allowed to play tag. I know i lost my love for playing baseball in Seattle little league because the coach allowed his son to pitch and beamed me in the head. I could never stand in a batters box after that.