RGIII officially cut

Uncle Si

Reaction score
For a quarter and half of football in January, 2013, it looked like RG3 and the Redskins were going to be the team of the near future...

then it quickly became RW and the Seahawks.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rqc0xl9e said:
For a quarter and half of football in January, 2013, it looked like RG3 and the Redskins were going to be the team of the near future...

Rarely have football fortunes shifted so dramatically....

kearly

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":20ss5rh2 said:
Yeah, this whole thing has really been incredible to watch. We like to think that things like Ryan Leaf can't happen anymore because of advanced scouting and metrics that we can use to determine a football player's effectiveness. We use social media to check a person's character. RGIII by all accounts was someone of good character, had a great college career and won OROY. Then he just dropped off the face of the earth. I guess Kaepernick is kinda similar, though he at least had a couple of decent seasons.

I remembered hearing some very faint "diva" concerns about him before the 2012 draft, but nobody really took them seriously since RG3 was a very hard worker and a seemingly humble person who was raised right. Both his parents were military.

And people STILL think that about RG3. Nobody questions his work ethic, and there are many anecdotal examples of him having exceptional character as a member of the Redskins. I'd probably score RG3 a 9/10 on the character scale, it's just that the one part he's missing, the part about taking accountability and not blaming others, was his complete undoing.

That's the problem with saying someone has high character. There are a million ways to measure character, just like there are a million ways to measure intelligence. Rg3 is unique in that he was and is a high character person who failed for character reasons. His one weak area was the one that proved fatal to his career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":3q9m7qa7 said:
And people STILL think that about RG3. Nobody questions his work ethic, and there are many anecdotal examples of him having exceptional character as a member of the Redskins. I'd probably score RG3 a 9/10 on the character scale, it's just that the one part he's missing, the part about taking accountability and not blaming others, was his complete undoing..

RG3 seems like an upstanding guy, but the rumors out of DC were he was kinda a diva and wasn't open to criticism or changing his game to ease health concerns with management.

Is that character? Idk, I obviously compare other QB's to Russell, and Russell had no problem handing it off 25-30 times a game when he got here and doing whatever was asked of him by management and Pete. THAT'S character, not using your agent to air your grievances with your own coach and GM.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2pz52rlu said:
wasn't there a rumor he wanted to come here if traded??

Only rumors I've read recently are SF or KC.

Honestly I'd probably rather keep Kap then sign RGIII...but still might be interesting to see what Chip could do with him. My guess is they take a QB in the first 3 rounds regardless.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Probably ends up in Dallas or Houston. But, RGIII really needs to go to a team that he doesn't have the pressure to be the starter. The Seahawks would be an example of an excellent choice for him. He needs the Seahawks more than the Seahawks need him. But, that's exactly the type of situation he needs to plant himself.

Needs to stay awhile from teams that have a bad home turf. SF, Carolina, etc. He just left one and would be unwise to think he will fare any better in similar suspect field conditions. I would honestly feel bad if he ends up in SF. It would only be a matter of time before he's injured and out of the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
What do both Kaep and RGIII have in common for their demise........................

peppersjap

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2pzsif3s said:
Vetamur":2pzsif3s said:
Uncle Si":2pzsif3s said:

Rarely have football fortunes shifted so dramatically....

Yeah, this whole thing has really been incredible to watch. We like to think that things like Ryan Leaf can't happen anymore because of advanced scouting and metrics that we can use to determine a football player's effectiveness. We use social media to check a person's character. RGIII by all accounts was someone of good character, had a great college career and won OROY. Then he just dropped off the face of the earth. I guess Kaepernick is kinda similar, though he at least had a couple of decent seasons.
RGIII was ruined by a coach who let him go out on the field hurt thus exposing him to further injury. He unfortunately played way too hard and never quite learned how to slide or get out of bounds. I'm not sure if he can ever come back at this point but I'm rooting for him because he is a good kid and has been nothing but a class act since being benched. It is very surreal to think about the career paths of the 2 QB's in that playoff game vs Washington, RGIII's career basically went into a tail spin that day and Wilson continued his late season surge and has just gotten better.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think he could have a do-over in Buffalo. Greg Roman worked well with one read Kaep even though I'm sure a lot was due to Harbaugh. Solid defense, growing playmakers on offense. I'd say more upside than Tyrod Taylor who kept them competitive last year when healthy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2zv3ldvz said:
Probably ends up in Dallas or Houston. But, RGIII really needs to go to a team that he doesn't have the pressure to be the starter. The Seahawks would be an example of an excellent choice for him. He needs the Seahawks more than the Seahawks need him. But, that's exactly the type of situation he needs to plant himself.

Needs to stay awhile from teams that have a bad home turf. SF, Carolina, etc. He just left one and would be unwise to think he will fare any better in similar suspect field conditions. I would honestly feel bad if he ends up in SF. It would only be a matter of time before he's injured and out of the league.

Maybe, but I think there will be plenty of teams with terrible QB play right now that will give him a lot of money to come in to be the starter, or at least compete for a starting job.

RG3 probably would benefit from coming in here and learn how to be a professional from Russell and Pete. But I'm guessing he's not really down with spending another two years sitting on the bench. He'll go to a team where he can compete for a starting job that'll give him a nice contract.

Houston, Buffalo, NY Jets, Niners, Rams, etc.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":30j3ckpa said:
Cyrus12":30j3ckpa said:
wasn't there a rumor he wanted to come here if traded??

Only rumors I've read recently are SF or KC.

Honestly I'd probably rather keep Kap then sign RGIII...but still might be interesting to see what Chip could do with him. My guess is they take a QB in the first 3 rounds regardless.

RGIII is a lot more accurate than Kaep, has a quicker release and he has touch. RGIII would be a huge upgrade over Kaep in Chip Kelly's offense.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/707237236555845632[/tweet]

:snack: :th2thumbs:

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2016":15vq6r0c said:

Rumblings are that Denver wants Kaepernick. If that happens, Denver will again have one of the worst offenses in the league.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":1nc6z0xd said:
peachesenregalia":1nc6z0xd said:

I remembered hearing some very faint "diva" concerns about him before the 2012 draft, but nobody really took them seriously since RG3 was a very hard worker and a seemingly humble person who was raised right. Both his parents were military.

And people STILL think that about RG3. Nobody questions his work ethic, and there are many anecdotal examples of him having exceptional character as a member of the Redskins. I'd probably score RG3 a 9/10 on the character scale, it's just that the one part he's missing, the part about taking accountability and not blaming others, was his complete undoing.

That's the problem with saying someone has high character. There are a million ways to measure character, just like there are a million ways to measure intelligence. Rg3 is unique in that he was and is a high character person who failed for character reasons. His one weak area was the one that proved fatal to his career.

Everyone has a dark side, and that dark can undo anyone. That's why the public is always shocked when an otherwise moral leader falls due to immorality. It's in all of us. The challenge is not learning how to cover it up, but how to bring it under control.

If RGIII can learn that lesson, he can still become a quality starter. If Vick can do, so can Griffin .

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":19xurtdy said:
hawknation2016":19xurtdy said:

Rumblings are that Denver wants Kaepernick. If that happens, Denver will again have one of the worst offenses in the league.

Honestly, I don't buy it.

I think Denver might be floating that one to get Brock back to the table. I think they are calling Brocks Houston bluff and that Brock will end up right back in Denver.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I can see Brock back to Denver, and grossly overpaid. Brock was pulled for Peyton the last game he played. He had several 3 and outs, and honestly think Fitzpatrick would be better for Denver than Brock.

On RGIII- curious what teams are interested. Have not read much about him at all.