Mike Wallace released by Minnesota

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle has a long history of avoiding free agent WRs for any decent amount of money (with the exception of Sidney Rice). So I don't expect them to be after Wallace. But I think they should be.

Last year Wallace caught my eye for how good he looked going over the middle in what was basically a Percy Harvin type role last year. Watching him in that role felt a bit like watching Jeremy Maclin.

But because his QB was Teddy Bridgewater and because the Vikings offense passed the ball very little while spreading the ball around, Wallace only garnered 39 receptions.

Personally, I think Wallace is still 90% the guy he was when the Dolphins gave him that ridiculous contract. If he can be had on the cheap, I'd want to see Seattle all over it.

If nothing else, he's still an elite deep threat who's durable. He's only missed one game in seven NFL seasons. Seattle is in need of a player who can stretch the field.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I was thinking the very same thing.

Mike Wallace fixes an huge problem we have right now, which is a bunch of unknowns at WR.

And he might be anxious to show that the problem was not him, but a QB that could not get him the ball.

So can we get him for less then? As a fly under the radar signing?

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":7mpdlg7u said:
I was thinking the very same thing.

Mike Wallace fixes an huge problem we have right now, which is a bunch of unknowns at WR.

And he might be anxious to show that the problem was not him, but a QB that could not get him the ball.

So can we get him for less then? As a fly under the radar signing?

If draftnicks are to be believed, this is a poor draft for WR making UFA WR market a bit hotter.

Throw in teams with crazy cap space like the Raiders and i think we're getting outbid.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawks have enough small wide receivers on the team. Time for a big guy.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
rideaducati":17drsopa said:

Antonio Brown isn't a big receiver but I'd be ecstatic if the Seahawks had bunch of AB type receivers. He's a top 5 receiver in the NFL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawkfan68":s57rbw57 said:
rideaducati":s57rbw57 said:

Antonio Brown isn't a big receiver but I'd be ecstatic if the Seahawks had bunch of AB type receivers. He's a top 5 receiver in the NFL.

Lockett is in that mold of Brown.

Mike Wallace wouldn't be on Brown's level even if you chopped off both of Antonio Brown's arms.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'll pass, dude has always been a headcase. Roll the dice with PRICH and hope Williams, Smith or future draft pick step up.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3mgivwnh said:
rideaducati":3mgivwnh said:

Look on the other side of the field from Brown. Sure, Brown is great, but the Seahawks have three guys the size of Brown. What the Seahawks need is a Martavius Bryant.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The larger bodied WRs Seattle has are Jermaine Kearse, and if he returns, TE/WR Jimmy Graham. Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams also weigh around 220 each. Smaller-bodied guys are of course Lockett, Richardson, Baldwin, all coming in under 190, with Lockett and Richardson under 180.

So yeah, we could certainly use another big-bodied guy, but it needs to be someone who can get open. Kearse especially needs other WRs who get open, so he's not covered like glue by the opponent's #1 or #2 cover guy. At last check, guys who fit that "big-bodied and gets open" profile, Megatron and Fitzgerald, were unavailable, but maybe we'll find a gem in the draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":132t7q5j said:
The larger bodied WRs Seattle has are Jermaine Kearse, and if he returns, TE/WR Jimmy Graham. Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams also weigh around 220 each. Smaller-bodied guys are of course Lockett, Richardson, Baldwin, all coming in under 190, with Lockett and Richardson under 180.

So yeah, we could certainly use another big-bodied guy, but it needs to be someone who can get open. Kearse especially needs other WRs who get open, so he's not covered like glue by the opponent's #1 or #2 cover guy. At last check, guys who fit that "big-bodied and gets open" profile, Megatron and Fitzgerald, were unavailable, but maybe we'll find a gem in the draft.

The 4th round pity WR pick has worked well so far.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Dude, right, I forgot about Kris Durham! Then what's his face, but I think he was a 5th rounder, from Oklahoma State, that was supposed to be the second coming of Anquan Boldin, and I freakin can't remember his name.
It's a proven strategy, I bet Pete and John stick with it.

OK, so maybe we draft a LB or OL in round 4, but that'd be bad, doing that and missing out on the next Megatron.

pehawk

Reaction score
Wallace excelled in sandlot ball with Big Ben. Seattle has the Emmanuel Lewis Big Ben.

Just sayin'

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If we are looking for a big-bodied, proven vet, possession type receiver (and I think we should be), why look any farther than our rivals to the south? I bet Anquan Boldin could be picked up for a very reasonable amount unless Oakland wants to overpay.

-bsd

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wallace complains when not getting enough targets/catches. That doesn't fit well with what Seattle does.