Alex Boone to Vikings

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
No details yet, but there is another guard off the market. Will teams begin to look at Sweezy and jump to give him a payday now?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1447y0tp said:
No details yet, but there is another guard off the market. Will teams begin to look at Sweezy and jump to give him a payday now?

Not sure how much one impacts the other.

Yes, Boone has been a guard for past several years, but he's really been a Tackle playing out of position. Curious if Vikings use him at Tackle.

OP
OP
Seahawk_Dan

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
It will be interesting. I brought up Sweezy because that's two of the higher end guards/Olinemen off the market (Osemele, Boone). Curious to see if some team over pays for Sweezy who is, in all honesty, average. But teams get desperate.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":342agqis said:
It will be interesting. I brought up Sweezy because that's two of th higher in end guards/Olinemen off the market (Osemele, Boone). Curious to see if some team over pays for Sweezy who is, in all honesty, average. But teams get desperate.

I think he's on the Niners radar. He would fit Chips scheme. Average would also be an upgrade. :D

OP
OP
Seahawk_Dan

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Marvin49":4s9tpen8 said:
Seahawk_Dan":4s9tpen8 said:
It will be interesting. I brought up Sweezy because that's two of th higher in end guards/Olinemen off the market (Osemele, Boone). Curious to see if some team over pays for Sweezy who is, in all honesty, average. But teams get desperate.

I think he's on the Niners radar. He would fit Chips scheme. Average would also be an upgrade. :D

Ha! True. Plugging in Stephen Hawking would improve the line. Just toss down some Black hole knowledge on opposing defenses. They'll be so confused the running back can just walk past everyone.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Chances we're getting a guard in FA is slimming down considerably. The only one left I'm interest in is Brandon Brooks and he's higher profile than Sweezy so I'll doubt that'll happen either.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Damn.. really hoped we would be in on Boone. But as is the case in every start to FA, guys are getting crazy money right now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Overseasfan":vuncex4n said:
Chances we're getting a guard in FA is slimming down considerably. The only one left I'm interest in is Brandon Brooks and he's higher profile than Sweezy so I'll doubt that'll happen either.

So you're saying that Vasquez or Mathis would be a terrible pick up? I'd take either at 3 mil/year.

Brooks and Sweezy are both gone, and Sweezy got very over paid.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Boone signed for a bargain. 49ers are idiots as usual.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/707672184626356224[/tweet]

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Boone is only 28 years old, has played at a borderline Pro Bowl-caliber level, has only missed four games in five seasons, and provides enough versatility to play inside at guard or at right tackle. It's almost as though the 49ers are unwilling to sign anyone who won't take a huge discount.

So when do they start using that $60 million in cap space? Because after today, one of the worst teams in the NFL just became even worse.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Hawks46":1682yfdf said:
Overseasfan":1682yfdf said:

So you're saying that Vasquez or Mathis would be a terrible pick up? I'd take either at 3 mil/year.

Brooks and Sweezy are both gone, and Sweezy got very over paid.

Not terrible pick ups but not great either and I doubt either would be available at 3 mil considering the crazy amounts that are being thrown around.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Word of caution on Boone -- looked great during the good times with Harbaugh. Didn't look great last year.

He's 6-8 (unusually tall for a guard) and he's 29 in May -- so he's not really 28.

Limited athlete. Just a tough guy really. Went undrafted despite going to Ohio State.

The type of name everyone salivates over but not exactly Mike Iupati.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Boone is not an Iupati or Osemele, but he's a darn good lineman. Strong as an ox and plays with excellent technique (he must to play guard at 6'7).

Playing on the interior offensive line has made Boone almost invisible, but this is still a player in the prime of his career moving on to a better situation than the one he left in San Francisco. Boone will be playing with Teddy Bridgewater and Adrian Peterson, a significant upgrade over the 49ers' current personnel.

Boone is a powerful, physical guard who has shown tremendous athleticism. Even as he approaches 30, this is a player whose intensity and preparation will keep him performing at a high level for years to come.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2622 ... d-reaction

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think this a great signing for the Vikings.

Boone didn't get drafted not because he was untalented, but because he was out of shape and an alcoholic. He's been in recovery for five years now though and I don't think that's something anyone has to worry about.

Boone is making less than some might guess because while he was very good for two years, he's been a below average player for the last two years.

His value is that he can double as a swing tackle if one of the Vikes tackles goes down with injury, and tackle might even be his more natural position.

His other problem is that although he seems like a fun person to be around, he's kind of a loose cannon. I'm sure him going on HBO and saying he was glad Harbaugh was gone because Harbaugh demanded too much effort from his players and needed to just relax didn't sit well with a lot of GMs.

I like him, in the past I've liked him as a player, but I'm also not even remotely surprised the 49ers didn't resign him.

I think he makes sense on the Vikings though, and it will be a really great deal if they're planning on kicking him out to tackle a la the Raiders and Osmele.