What a brutal offseason this is shaping up to be

kearly

Reaction score
I've never seen a free agency period that got less for the dollar. No name players and even dudes were were borderline busts are getting huge deals. And the draft looks pretty weak, outside of the occasional gem.

In an offseason like this, the teams that do the least may end up being the biggest winners.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yeah. So far not spending money is looking like the best deal out there.

I don't know what we spent on Lane, but locking up Lane and Rubin was pretty damned good on our part.

I'm surprised by them not tendering Michael. After he played well for us in a starting role last year, he'll get some interest. Especially after the dumb contracts being thrown out there at RB.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":95cg53ia said:
I'm surprised by them not tendering Michael. After he played well for us in a starting role last year, he'll get some interest. Especially after the dumb contracts being thrown out there at RB.

I'm with you, but I understand their logic. The cheapest RFA tender would be about 3 times more money than the league minimum. (edit, RFA tenders are not fully guaranteed, it's only franchise and transition tags that are guaranteed).

Michael might still be back, but I wouldn't expect Seattle to sign him until after the draft.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":325trt9n said:
Hawks46":325trt9n said:

I'm with you, but I understand their logic. The cheapest RFA tender would be about 3 times more money than the league minimum, and it would be fully guaranteed the moment Michael signs it.

Michael might still be back, but I wouldn't expect Seattle to sign him until after the draft.

I can see that, but I can't see a lot of teams passing up Michael at a vet minimum deal. He's still young and has a ton of upside. Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong; I was a guy that loved CMike's potential, but didn't think he was emotionally or intellectually capable of capitalizing on it. After watching him play last year, he's solidly a league average RB as a starter. That's worth more than a minimum to me, especially if you get him as a backup.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Osweiler, Cousins, and others are just getting absurd amounts of money. Pretty happy to be sitting out some of these.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yes the numbers on the surface is gaudy, lets see if they are looking for work again next year though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
That's why I'm not too upset the Niners haven't made a splash yet. All the guys I really would have wanted were tagged. The other guys I would like are still in play...but really not a lot out there and crazy money.

RedAlice

Reaction score
kearly":q3zb954d said:
I've never seen a free agency period that got less for the dollar. No name players and even dudes were were borderline busts are getting huge deals. And the draft looks pretty weak, outside of the occasional gem.

In an offseason like this, the teams that do the least may end up being the biggest winners.

Gotta agree.

I already have a few Pats fan friends bragging that their coach and GM aren't even in the office.

drrew

Reaction score
kearly":32nw6g68 said:

The Mark Barron contract is the epitome of this. The APY on his new contract is equal or higher to every Hawk defender other than Sherman. That's absurd for an eminently replaceable player.

Hawks46

Reaction score
drrew":11oe48f1 said:
kearly":11oe48f1 said:

The Mark Barron contract is the epitome of this. The APY on his new contract is equal or higher to every Hawk defender other than Sherman. That's absurd for an eminently replaceable player.

That's a knee jerk reaction to losing two of their other starters in that secondary. It's really weird, it's almost like GM's are getting emotional or something.

It's also very very scary about what that says about the draft.

Is it really that bad where teams are desperately throwing money around, thinking they can't improve via the draft ?

drdiags

Reaction score
There are several teams that have to meet the spending floor or lose the money to the NFLPA. The CBA the players signed requires the teams to have spent 80% of their cap or some such number or forfeit millions to the NFLPA.

Jags, Raiders and others inflate the market because they are forced to spend. Good for the players, bad for other teams that have been using the cap as expected.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drrew":3djcj6k2 said:
kearly":3djcj6k2 said:

I heatd Jenkins will be making more per year than Sherm. That's pretty absurd too.

byau

Reaction score
kearly":j6dnk2l0 said:

That makes way too much sense kearly

---> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124106 <-- this is what I'm talking about

:thfight7:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
This is the kind of offseason that separates the good front offices from the bad. When the market is flush with talent even a blind squirrel can find a nut. There are good players, bargains and good fits out there (in free agency and the draft) Pete and John just need to identify and target them.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawks46":29s41bx1 said:
drrew":29s41bx1 said:
kearly":29s41bx1 said:

That's a knee jerk reaction to losing two of their other starters in that secondary. It's really weird, it's almost like GM's are getting emotional or something.

It's also very very scary about what that says about the draft.

Is it really that bad where teams are desperately throwing money around, thinking they can't improve via the draft ?

The thing is, the Seahawks don't necessarily need a great FA haul or draft to win this year. Sure, we've lost some talent, but we're still eminently in the playoff hunt with players in the fold.

Our FO is pretty immune to the seeming panic that grips a lot of teams the first week of FA. I kind of like that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The weird thing is how many teams came in to FA with so much money. Jaguars had 80 million dollars to spend!

The Raiders had a ton, and that's why FAs right now are lucky, because they came in to FA in the year when the money was pouring out of team's pockets.

byau

Reaction score
JSeahawks":302dfuz7 said:
This is the kind of offseason that separates the good front offices from the bad. When the market is flush with talent even a blind squirrel can find a nut. There are good players, bargains and good fits out there (in free agency and the draft) Pete and John just need to identify and target them.

In all seriousness, one of my favorite quotes actually came from a web usability class back when web pages were still static and we were still all writing in HTML.

"Just because you can make the text blink, doesn't mean you should"

So interesting how this can carry on so well to real life. In the case of NFL Free Agency, just because you have the money to spend, doesn't mean you should.

I love the discipline of the front office. And yes, losing some of our key players to bigger offers, that hurts, and in the end it might hurt the performance a bit next season, but down the road it could hurt a lot more.

And another thought: I love how Paul Allen DOES spend money where he is not strapped by a cap to entice players to come. A lot of money invested in a beautiful facility, coaches, player development, a unified front office, building a valuable atmosphere, a lot of the non-strictly-salary benefits that could entice the right players to come here from a crappy place for a bit less money.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'll never buy another Jersey with some players name on it. This business is killing the team vibe.

olyfan63

Reaction score
^^^ May as well buy a Kearse jersey.

This could be a great business opportunity if someone could figure out how to make a jersey with user-replaceable name panel and a system of user-changeable numbers, 33 becomes 88.

Wilson and Sherman jerseys seem safe, and maybe a few others. Guaranteed at least 3 more years of Lockett and Clark, but Baldwin is in a contract year and may cost too much. Time for a thread on player jersey ROI, factoring in expected longevity and productivity with the team?