And our comp picks continue to weaken. :pukeface:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/707911197069352960[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2016":352bp83e said:
Wow, Raiders are cleaning up.

49ers strike out, again.

:lol:

Said this here a month or so ago but if Baalke had tried to win free agency this year it would have broken from everything about him that makes him a decent GM, and would have been the final nail in the coffin of my 9ers fandom for right now.

Chip Kelly aside, the best way I can describe my reaction to the 9ers inaction on day 1 of FA is 'relief.'

They really only made 1 move (extending Ian Williams) and it was both a smart and financially prudent one.

If Baalke went into day 1 and gave Osemele or Jenkins 12 APY or Vernon 17 APY I would have just thrown up in my mouth and started watching hockey or something.

Luckily, a couple months ago Baalke also tipped his hand on this, saying that he was excited to have more money to work with than he's ever had before, but that he wasn't just going to spend it to spend it, and that he'd stick with the strategy he's always used (internally set a dollar amount on what every player is worth to the team and then just offer it; if others were offering more, no problem, and if others were offering less, again, no problem -- the point is to not let other people do your valuations for you. This should be familiar to Hawks fans, as JS and PC have a major streak of this approach in them too).

2_0_6

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1g9168ah said:
Popeyejones":1g9168ah said:
hawknation2016":1g9168ah said:
Wow, Raiders are cleaning up.

49ers strike out, again.

:lol:

Said this here a month or so ago but if Baalke had tried to win free agency this year it would have broken from everything about him that makes him a decent GM, and would have been the final nail in the coffin of my 9ers fandom for right now.

Chip Kelly aside, the best way I can describe my reaction to the 9ers inaction on day 1 of FA is 'relief.'

They really only made 1 move (extending Ian Williams) and it was both a smart and financially prudent one.

If Baalke went into day 1 and gave Osemele or Jenkins 12 APY or Vernon 17 APY I would have just thrown up in my mouth and started watching hockey or something.

Luckily, a couple months ago Baalke also tipped his hand on this, saying that he was excited to have more money to work with than he's ever had before, but that he wasn't just going to spend it to spend it, and that he'd stick with the strategy he's always used (internally set a dollar amount on what every player is worth to the team and then just offer it; if others were offering more, no problem, and if others were offering less, again, no problem -- the point is to not let other people do your valuations for you. This should be familiar to Hawks fans, as JS and PC have a major streak of this approach in them too).

Dizzy from all that spin! Your team is a dumpster fire right now, and need help at multiple positions, especially DB and OL. Another season in the basement awaits!

:thirishdrinkers: :13:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":321vgr6x said:
peachesenregalia":321vgr6x said:
Dizzy from all that spin!

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I've said it more than once on this board. If you even remotely cared you could look it up.

What's funny is Hawks fans overwhelmingly agree with what I said, provided they're not shooting harmless nerf darts in half hearted trolling efforts:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124121

Point me to an NFL team that's ever had a dearth of talent and corrected that by "winning" the top of the FA market.

But both of you already know that.

It's why your posts in here are so boilerplate and boring. :lol:

Later. :th2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DHawk":3oqpd0l2 said:
The Raiders are building themselves a D!

Yeah, I actually like these moves for the Raiders, particularly because of the new CBA and the 2013-2016 rolling cap average problem they have.

I'd need to confirm that they're front loading all of these contracts to really, really like it for them (I can't imagine they're not), but they've got some pieces of a good core in place, and are filling out around it with overpays that aren't *really* overpays given the alternative for them (just cutting a check to the NFLPA).

2_0_6

Reaction score
Four years ago if someone would have said that the Raiders, Rams and Chargers would all be in a better situation and more popular than the 49ers someone would have thought they were crazy.

Oh how the "quest for six" has been derailed lol.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Killing it, they are also front loading them. Weddle is probably going to land there as well I presume.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":39xsn6nu said:
Oh how the "quest for six" has been derailed lol.

So is this like when I'm supposed to evoke the "quest for two" or something?

I wanna make sure I don't accidentally go off script and unwittingly end up having an interesting conversation or anything. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DJ_CJ":2vova2ax said:
Killing it, they are also front loading them. Weddle is probably going to land there as well I presume.

Yeah. These are all deals they can basically sneak back out of with little repercussion two years from now, and are good deals for the players too because they're getting a ton of money dumped on them in those first couple years.

Given the CBA it's really a no lose proposition for the Raiders, and a smart play (in any other situation it's always been idiotic, but the CBA rolling cap average just adds a hell of wrinkle to the strategy).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":294q7atg said:
Hawk_Nation":294q7atg said:
peachesenregalia":294q7atg said:
Dizzy from all that spin!

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I've said it more than once on this board. If you even remotely cared you could look it up.

What's funny is Hawks fans overwhelmingly agree with what I said, provided they're not shooting harmless nerf darts in half hearted trolling efforts:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124121

Point me to an NFL team that's ever had a dearth of talent and corrected that by "winning" the top of the FA market.

Inclined to agree (queue more tired, unoriginal "spin" comments).

Almost all of the guys I really wanted in Free Agency got tagged before the opening bell. There were only really three guys I was interesting in once it was all said and done:

1) Sean Smith: Thats the one I wanted. Bummer. Love his size.
2) Bruce Irvin: Would have been nice, but not a tragedy. Love the speed, not sure he'd make a huge difference tho.
3) Malik Jackson: Again, would have been nice, but thats just crazy money. NOT interested at that price. Kinda think they might be looking at DeForest Buckner in round 1 anyway (assuming he gets to 7).

Even in those cases, its not really like any of them are game-changers. Here's the rub tho...those are ALL defensive players and my biggest concern with Chip was his ability to attract Free Agents on the defensive side of the ball.

This isn't something I'm just saying now BTW. I said this two weeks ago. Its GREAT to have like 50 mil in cap room (and if they trade Kap it'll be more), but I really don't see anyone out there worth spending that money on. Once Von, Wilkerson, and Jeffrey were tagged....thats kinda all she wrote.

They'll sign some guys if for no other reason they HAVE to to meet the salary floor, but outside of Smith (whom I know they were all in for) I'm not really too upset with their lack of movement.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2o5fz327 said:
Marvin49":2o5fz327 said:
Popeyejones":2o5fz327 said:
Hawk_Nation":2o5fz327 said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124121

Inclined to agree (queue more tired, unoriginal "spin" comments).

Almost all of the guys I really wanted in Free Agency got tagged before the opening bell. There were only really three guys I was interesting in once it was all said and done:

1) Sean Smith: Thats the one I wanted. Bummer. Love his size.
2) Bruce Irvin: Would have been nice, but not a tragedy. Love the speed, not sure he'd make a huge difference tho.
3) Malik Jackson: Again, would have been nice, but thats just crazy money. NOT interested at that price. Kinda think they might be looking at DeForest Buckner in round 1 anyway (assuming he gets to 7).

Even in those cases, its not really like any of them are game-changers.

This isn't something I'm just saying now BTW. I said this two weeks ago. Its GREAT to have like 50 mil in cap room (and if they trade Kap it'll be more), but I really don't see anyone out there worth spending that money on. Once Von, Wilkerson, and Jeffrey were tagged....thats kinda all she wrote.

They'll sign some guys if for no other reason they HAVE to to meet the salary floor, but outside of Smith (whom I know they were all in for) I'm not really too upset with their lack of movement.

07-minister.jpg

...right on cue.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Basically my thoughts too, and I like those three as well.

Jackson is just stupid money though; it's somehow even much, much crazier than the Vernon contract, as with that you can at least make the argument that the bet might pay off.

While I like both Irvin and Smith and would have been okay with those two signings I guess, overall I'm glad they passed on them.

The 9ers are two or three years away from even thinking about competing in the best case scenario, and both of those guys are going to be on the decline by the time that happens. While signing overpriced 29 year olds might make the next two years sting a little less, it's counterproductive, as all you're doing is:

1) artificially inflating your team by a win or two in years it doesn't matter anyway.

2) Inhibiting the possible growth of any young guys who would be sitting behind them who could still matter by the time the team has a chance to actually be competitive again.

It makes sense for the Raiders (who have some talent that they're building around, and also, let's be honest, don't have a choice but to burn money in FA lest they just give it away), but for a team like the 9ers following that strategy would just be rash, reactionary, and rife with failure. (really the strongest compliment you can give Baalke is that he's never been rash or reactionary).

More so than anything sh!tty teams that try to make themselves not sh!tty through FA have never seemed to escape that endless cycle. I have no idea why any fan would ever want any part of that.

EDIT: See the bolded "inhibiting" above. There's an automatic mod edit on the word I used, even though I obviously wasn't using it in that context :lol: (r-e-t-a-r-d-i-n-g; "To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede."

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Peaches --

If the most interesting thing you have to post about is another poster, consider that you might not have anything interesting to post about.

If you insist on doing so, at least consider brevity as working in your favor, cuz ain't nobody reading your retreads anyway, love.

Take this post as an example. <3 <3

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1ttoewhq said:
Cry me a river, Martin. For the last 3 years or so, you've been coming on here telling us how things in niner land aren't really that bad and things are all going exactly as you expected them to go, yet your team is firmly in the shitter and will be for the forseeable future. You continually sing Baalke's praises when it's obvious to everyone that he's a below-par GM. He got rid of the best coach your team had in a long while because of his ego, hired Ron Jeremy and now Chip Kelly to coach the team, his drafts have been mostly poor, he mis-managed Kaepernick who now wants out, oversaw the premature retirement of several high-profile players, etc. etc.

It's time to stop the rhetoric, Martin. It's time to stand up and admit that your team is doing it wrong, from the owner, to the GM and on down. It's time to admit that major organizational change is needed in order to start winning again. It's time to admit that your team is a laughing stock once again.

I'm Peachesenregalia, and I approve this message.

Just love punching that straw man don't ya Poaches.

I don't think much of ANYTHING I've posted since the start of this season matches anything close to what you are describing. Niners are in full scale rebuild. Not even a question. Chip Kelly was NOT my nor the teams first choice.

Where have I been singing Baalkes praises in the past year? All I just said was "I'm not all that upset", but clearly thats not enough for you.

Ya know what its time for? Its time to do me the courtesy of responding to what I'm actually saying and not what's conveinient for you to argue with.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2qihkox0 said:
Marvin49":2qihkox0 said:
peachesenregalia":2qihkox0 said:
Cry me a river, Martin. For the last 3 years or so, you've been coming on here telling us how things in niner land aren't really that bad and things are all going exactly as you expected them to go, yet your team is firmly in the shitter and will be for the forseeable future. You continually sing Baalke's praises when it's obvious to everyone that he's a below-par GM. He got rid of the best coach your team had in a long while because of his ego, hired Ron Jeremy and now Chip Kelly to coach the team, his drafts have been mostly poor, he mis-managed Kaepernick who now wants out, oversaw the premature retirement of several high-profile players, etc. etc.

It's time to stop the rhetoric, Martin. It's time to stand up and admit that your team is doing it wrong, from the owner, to the GM and on down. It's time to admit that major organizational change is needed in order to start winning again. It's time to admit that your team is a laughing stock once again.

I'm Peachesenregalia, and I approve this message.

Just love punching that straw man don't ya Poaches.

I don't think much of ANYTHING I've posted since the start of this season matches anything close to what you are describing. Niners are in full scale rebuild. Not even a question. Chip Kelly was NOT my nor the teams first choice.

Where have I been singing Baalkes praises in the past year? All I just said was "I'm not all that upset", but clearly thats not enough for you.

Ya know what its time for? Its time to do me the courtesy of responding to what I'm actually saying and not what's conveinient for you to argue with.

07-minister.jpg

...making my point for me. Thanks.