49ers still look like a shambles

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
According to Spotrac, they have $61m to spend. That's second only to Jacksonville.

And they're just sat there -- not doing anything to reshape that ramshackle roster.

The good teams can afford to play it cool in free agency. Others have to be proactive. That doesn't mean trying to outbid the Giants for Olivier Vernon. But you are allowed to, you know, actually sign players.

Chip Kelly's reputation an issue? Or just the overall malaise of the franchise?

2016 might be even worse than 2015 for them.

drrew

Reaction score
I would expect they'll announce a big Riley Cooper contract any day now.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think you're right about Chip Kelly's reputation playing a part. I don't think they are just sitting idly by, because they have to spend money to reach the salary floor. But they can't force players to sign with them.

mrt144

Reaction score
it's also possible they're letting the field lay fallow and identify real needs etc after this season. I'm being generous today having just booked a trip down to the bay for a visit.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Erebus":3k2okkk1 said:
they have to spend money to reach the salary floor.

Nope, they're already well above the minimum spend on the rolling average for '13-'16.

You're extrapolating from a false premise.

If you said the 49ers aren't willing to pay the price premium to get a guy to walk into a dumpster fire with a king bigot head coach you might be onto something, but it has jack to do with cap floors.

pehawk

Reaction score
It's so unlike a York not to spend. He must be happy with his stadium.

rlkats

Reaction score
Hahahaha oh look another niners thread. I figured with my teams great deal of dog crap and mediocrity you all would just go away. Guess not lol.

drdiags

Reaction score
rlkats":u60xbh4p said:
Hahahaha oh look another niners thread. I figured with my teams great deal of dog crap and mediocrity you all would just go away. Guess not lol.

We cannot quit you guys. Ha ha! There is a lot of stalking going on here.

rlkats

Reaction score
drdiags":1rrsvagn said:
rlkats":1rrsvagn said:

I guess man Stalking is correct.

chris98251

Reaction score
They are waiting for Johnny Football to get sober and serve his suspension before they pay him 5 years 100 million to be a 49er.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pehawk":pi92xf7j said:
Now you've done it! We will all be punished by Marvin's world famous wall of text "white knighting" for Jedthro....
Thanks PE! :x

Laloosh

Reaction score
rlkats":1c5omltu said:
drdiags":1c5omltu said:
rlkats":1c5omltu said:

I guess man Stalking is correct.
Hey 'kats, hope all is well.

rlkats

Reaction score
@laloosh.

Doing good bud. Enjoying a drama free offseason. Hope all is well with you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3gjm92fd said:
Sports Hernia":3gjm92fd said:
pehawk":3gjm92fd said:
Now you've done it! We will all be punished by Marvin's world famous wall of text "white knighting" for Jedthro....
Thanks PE! :x

Or Popeye to come in and White-Knight, then deny that he ever white-knights and tell everyone they're delusional.
True, there is that.

TAB420

Reaction score
rlkats":26misgxk said:
drdiags":26misgxk said:
rlkats":26misgxk said:

I guess man Stalking is correct.[/quote

We could just have a continuous thread like the vagzone does about us.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I enjoy piling on the Niners as much as any other Hawk fan, but as I said a few days ago.. the Niners not spending their money isn't necessarily a bad thing. This FA class is one of the weakest of the last 10 years.. when you start spending recklessly just to spend the money, you set your franchise up for an even longer rebuilding period.

Face it.. there were never FA's the Niners could overpay for that would take them from 4 wins to contending for the division or a wild card. I think what SF is doing this offseason by letting the market settle down is actually a smart move.

rlkats

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3k2juegc said:
I enjoy piling on the Niners as much as any other Hawk fan, but as I said a few days ago.. the Niners not spending their money isn't necessarily a bad thing. This FA class is one of the weakest of the last 10 years.. when you start spending recklessly just to spend the money, you set your franchise up for an even longer rebuilding period.

Face it.. there were never FA's the Niners could overpay for that would take them from 4 wins to contending for the division or a wild card. I think what SF is doing this offseason by letting the market settle down is actually a smart move.

I must agree with your thought process. While some say my niners are losing the free agency Super Bowl (cough cough some hawk fans) I think waiting is smart. But get players that will help is highly important. So hopefully they start making moves that make sense.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Y'all came to my party.

This aint stalking.

As for letting the market settle -- that's cool. Only lost Alex Boone, about to have Blaine Gabbert anointed as the starter and got $60m sitting there waiting to be spent.

Ted Larsen though...

rideaducati

Reaction score
rlkats":34hyow28 said:
Hasselbeck":34hyow28 said:

I must agree with your thought process. While some say my niners are losing the free agency Super Bowl (cough cough some hawk fans) I think waiting is smart. But get players that will help is highly important. So hopefully they start making moves that make sense.

Good luck with that... I doubt they're being smart and waiting. I'd guess they have tried and failed to attract free agents. Moves that make sense with Baalke at the helm will be very few and far between.

Latest posts