Martavis Bryant faces 1 year suspension for substance abuse.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Silly boy.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/708725701139152896[/tweet]

Steelers draft priorities may have just changed a little. Behind Brown there's Wheaton and not much else.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/708728612623618050[/tweet]

soohawk

Reaction score
Buffalo Soldier!

Guy likes his ganja apparently, couldn't happen to a nicer team and fans :)

kearly

Reaction score
Nooooo.

Gonna have to look for a new 8th round steal in fantasy drafts this year.

Maybe it's too obvious, but I would expect the Steelers to kick the tires on Mike Wallace at some point.

I've never smoked and never will, but damn does the NFL look out of touch for giving 1 year suspensions for weed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lots of places of employment are "out of touch" with pot use, including the one I work for. I can get tested at any time for any reason.

Employers need to treat pot like alcohol. If you are under the influence AT work, then action/termination should happen. If you do it on your off time you should be able to.

That being said, being less than 8 years away from retirement from this job, I don't touch pot until the rule changes, because I'm not losing my bene's, paid vacations, or pension just to get high, and I have a lot less to lose than a millionaire football player.

kearly

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ozhs4p0 said:
Employers need to treat pot like alcohol. If you are under the influence AT work, then action/termination should happen. If you do it on your off time you should be able to.

Exactly right.

soohawk

Reaction score
since they skipped the 10 game suspension, which is normal after a 4 game suspension for a full season he did something above and beyond just having cannabinoids in his system. He skirted testing, failed 2 tests or was caught with something that was even worse off than cannabis i.e. opiates.

commenters on pft who are steelers fans are saying it was cough syrup (like jamarcus russell) and that makes sense since he was a seeking mentoring from John Lucas in houston... i don't think he would need to go there for simple use of cannabis.

bottom line here, this guy has a problem and he needs some help. football aside his earning potential may never get back to where it was and that affects his lifestyle and that of his family. he needs to get his head right

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":3mglq8zf said:
Sports Hernia":3mglq8zf said:

Exactly right.
:13:

That said, I think soohawk is right saying it's something beyond weed to skip straight to a full season.

naholmes

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1rzplqr2 said:
That said, I think soohawk is right saying it's something beyond weed to skip straight to a full season.
According to his agent, Bryant missed multiple tests and that is treated the same as testing positive. If that's true then he has no chance of winning the appeal, so I'm not sure why he would even bother.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /81693628/

Basis4day

Reaction score
I guess we won't need to read complaints about the FO passing on him anymore.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kearly":1v4bjdwl said:
Sports Hernia":1v4bjdwl said:

Exactly right.

Is there a reliable way to test if someone is currently high as opposed to just having it still in your system from smoking off work?

mrt144

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1oulnkmc said:
kearly":1oulnkmc said:
Sports Hernia":1oulnkmc said:

Exactly right.

Is there a reliable way to test if someone is currently high as opposed to just having it still in your system from smoking off work?

I'm a human high test. I run on weed myself so it can be a pretty entertaining test, let me assure you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":ims5tldy said:
kearly":ims5tldy said:
Sports Hernia":ims5tldy said:

Exactly right.

Great question, I don't know the answer.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":72z9as4o said:
therealjohncarlson":72z9as4o said:
kearly":72z9as4o said:
Sports Hernia":72z9as4o said:

Exactly right.

Great question, I don't know the answer.

The one used by police is the eye test for lack of convergence.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I have nothing but seething hatred for the entire Pittsburgh franchise.

And some of the whispers coming out of this event seem to point to it not being just a weed related bust.

But, that said, the league's stance on MJ is pretty indefensible.

One of the primary uses for the drug is pain mitigation. That was the justification for the medical use of the drug, and has been shown over time to work.

Football is, at the core, a sport about inflicting pain and absorbing it. Players have such a short playing career primarily because of the damage done to the body over time.

It makes no sense, for a sport that encourages players to play through pain - not to allow a drug that has been proven to manage pain. Perhaps the reason being that some states allow and some do not, which would offer an advantage to areas that do? But I think that is stretching it.

Ultimately I think the stance is political which makes it even more appalling they would ban the use of the drug, when shown to work.

It should also be noted, that with 90% of the players suffering from CTE - the need to manage those effects (headaches, seizures, ect) are also in the wheelhouse of the drug.